TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Needed a push tonight (snow problems)

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by efusco, Jan 6, 2014.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Working a night shift in the ED after having worked the night before. It had snowed 2-3 inches when I got home at 7am, then everyone stayed in at my home all day. We have a 100+ meter long driveway, so it rarely gets shovelled. When I got in the car to drive to work at 10pm there was a solid 6-7" of virgin snow covering the driveway. I backed out OK, but trying to pull forward up a very slight incline was a non-starter despite several attempts (I still have all-season tires on). Ultimately had to have my wife drive our AWD Highlander Hybrid up the driveway to pack down a path, then with my 14 y/o boys and myself pushing and my wife driving we finally got up the incline and onto the level part of the driveway.

The rest of my trip to work was packed powder covered roadways, but the car handles that fine. But without winter tires, it's not built to be a snow plow!

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yikes! Drive safe, Evan. This system is looking "The Day After Tomorrow" nasty.

May I rub it in by saying that it was shorts-and-sandals weather out here in my neck of the woods?! :) Tesla engineers out here at HQ would have no clue as to what you are talking about!

3. efusco

Yea yea...I'm going on a ski vacation to the Rockies next week...looking forward to the warm up!

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Curious: did you raise the suspension all the way in case part of the body was plowing through the snow?

5. efusco

Yep, lifted up...it was a traction issue, the nose wasn't plowing at all. Between the slight hill and the resistance against the front tires of the virgin snow I just couldn't get enough traction to push through. Once I was on level terrain it was fine. There was one slick intersection I had a little trouble getting going at a bit further into the drive, but even with these all-season tires I'm impressed at the traction and how well the car, esp. as a rear wheel drive, does in the slick ice and snow conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, is there anywhere safe to hook a tow rope? That was my next plan..to let my wife pull me until I was clear of the snow, but in the dark and just glancing under the car, I couldn't see anywhere safe to attach the hook.

6. dratifk

dratifk Sorry Sold my *****

This is why I put on Winter tires. I had a fried die in car accident in 2005 because he had on all seasons and lost control of the car and hit a pole. Never will I try and drive in winter weather without snow tires. We had major Blizzard with 18 inches of snow. I had no issues because of my Blizzaks.

7. efusco

I hear you, and that was the plan, but I've had a couple of failed attempts at buying new rims and just wasn't motivated enough to pay for new.

8. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

The service center will put your winters on your tesla wheels (assuming you're still running with tesla wheels) they did it for me back in November.

9. efusco

Closest SC is 225 miles away, so that's a PITA. Also, it's not good on tires to put them on, take them off, etc. But I can make excuses all day...was hoping to have dedicated rims and tires so I can do the change myself, but it never happened.

None the less, the car has performed remarkably well other than this specific incident.

10. Hybris

Hybris Member

all season in snow? hmmm...

11. ohaq

ohaq Model S #P9,326

did you turn off traction control. Sometimes in these situations you have to turn off traction.

12. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

efusco now be poster child for:

1. 'male pattern denial of winter' syndrome

2. 'my all-seasons will get me thru' syndrome

In northern NY I used to sneak all the way into January on the strength of these syndromes, but in the Rockies, NO WAY!!

You will definitely love the new winter rubber when you finally get it.
    --

13. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

Put the air suspension in its highest position before trying to push snow.

14. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Good point, I have also heard this works in certain cases.

15. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

My alley was not plowed yesterday. I raised the suspension, but there was about 7-8 inches of snow there. The only way I could get out was to turn traction control OFF. This was with the Xi3 tires even. I think a lot of 2WD would have had problems in that snow as well. But, I was able to get some movement back and forth by turning traction control off. Once out of the alley and into more groomed roads, I put the traction control back on.

My thoughts with this midwest winter snow are that snow tires are significantly better than all season tires. Deep snow is difficult for many cars, and sometimes I find it better to get out of the thick snow and up my short driveway (inclined) with traction control OFF.

16. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Last winter I slithered around on the stock 19" Goodyear all-seasons. This winter I bought proper winter tires (Xi3) and sallied forth, secure in the knowledge that I was still driving a 5000 lb. tank, only now with grip in the snow and ice. Imagine my consternation yesterday when, at a snow packed, dead-level intersection, I gently pressed the go pedal when the light turned green...and the rear end slid sideways to the curb. In the fresher snow over by the curb the grip improved enough to pull away, but I was surprised, to say the least.

The temperature was between 5 and 10 degrees F, light snow was falling from a leaden sky onto the existing, day-old snow, and I had had no problems getting around, up to that instant: stopping power was good and the TC light had flashed only intermittently under acceleration.

I guess the takeaway is never to assume that prior results are a guarantee of future performance. :eek:

17. santana338

santana338 Member

I had put off the snow tires vs. new wheels/tires until the Holidays. When I checked the Tesla store site, they are sold out of the wheels/tires and even the tire chains. When I called Tire Rack to see what they had, the only wheels they had were expensive BBS wheels (not what I want for winter). Any other procrastinators out there finding it hard to buy your way out of this problem?

18. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

For once in my life I was the ant rather than the grasshopper. Check eBay to see if anyone is selling OEM 19" wheels. That's where mine came from, then I ordered Xi3s from Tire Rack and had them mounted and balanced locally.

19. efusco

I didn't, good thought.

20. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

Similar thing happened to me in Rhinelander a couple weeks ago. Friends driveway is relatively steep incline, just couldn't make it up after several tries with traction control on. Turned off traction control, put the pedal to the floor and blazed my way up the driveway no problem. I too am still running my all seasons. Waiting for tirerack and the luganos with some Michelins, soon hopefully.