Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Needed feature ASAP! Mobile Acees Pin

JerryNycom

Nov 6, 2012
New York
Just went to a steakhouse with some friends, and I didn't drive. There was a Model S that just left as we came out and I casually asked the valet "was that a Tesla?" He answered yes and laughed! I said whats so funny? He said the owner knew his car was NOT in lot of the restaurant while eating by checking his mobile app and came out concerned. When the owner went back inside the valets Googled the Model S and they figured out how to "in the future" TURN OFF MOBILE ACCESS! This feature needs a PIN CODE ASAP!

I will email ownership and I suggest everyone else do the same.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
Just went to a steakhouse with some friends, and I didn't drive. There was a Model S that just left as we came out and I casually asked the valet "was that a Tesla?" He answered yes and laughed! I said whats so funny? He said the owner knew his car was NOT in lot of the restaurant while eating by checking his mobile app and came out concerned. When the owner went back inside the valets Googled the Model S and they figured out how to "in the future" TURN OFF MOBILE ACCESS! This feature needs a PIN CODE ASAP!

I will email ownership and I suggest everyone else do the same.
I don't understand this at all. Mobile access requires user ID and password. How was the car "googled"?

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I don't understand this at all. Mobile access requires user ID and password. How was the car "googled"?

I assume he means they Googled the Model S in general (not his specific car) and found out how to disable the mobile access for future Model Ss that they drive.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
Another reason I'd never hand my car over to a valet. Resisted that at the resort that I stayed at in Tahoe and chose to park it myself hundreds of yards away at almost midnight in freezing temps.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
I assume he means they Googled the Model S in general (not his specific car) and found out how to disable the mobile access for future Model Ss that they drive.
OK now I get it. That another reason we need the promised "valet mode". A PIN could be used to set and exit from valet mode, otherwise we shouldn't need to be bothered with a PIN.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
If I had my car valet parked, and access was disabled when I checked - and I would watch as it drove away - then I would complain to management and demand they bring my car back to me immediately. Then I would leave never to return.

The only conceivable reason for turning it off is to joyride. Valets should NOT touch any car settings.

TurboFroggy

Dec 5, 2012
Everett, WA
I totally agree. Mobile Access should be secured with a pin code. Until they get a full valet mode though, I am NEVER leaving my P85 with any Valet.
I will walk a mile before I do that.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 3 CT reservations and counting
Dec 25, 2011
Seattle
If I had my car valet parked, and access was disabled when I checked - and I would watch as it drove away - then I would complain to management and demand they bring my car back to me immediately. Then I would leave never to return.

The only conceivable reason for turning it off is to joyride. Valets should NOT touch any car settings.

Everytime I valet the Model S it stays in front so everyone can gawk. I'd worry if it was ever driven out of view of the front door.

I know Elon talked about valet mode maybe coming in V6.0, but for now, just give us a simple pin code maybe for ALL SETTINGS....

Yeah, I remember that as well and hope it is in 6.0

ABVA

Nov 2, 2013
Northern Virginia
Tesla responded very promptly, albeit polite with a thank you and that request for PIN will be forwarded to appropriate team. I believe if more of us write to ownership, our request might get some traction. So folks please write to ownership.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC