Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Needing a 2019-2020 Tesla to test a prototype CCS adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

According to Tesla, “All Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles produced after May 1, 2019 have the technical capability to charge at CCS Combo 2 charging sites with the use of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.”

It's important to note that this message is intended for customers in Europe, where CCS Combo 2 is the dominant standard - and here in America, the counterpart is CCS Combo 1. However, the difference between Combo 1 and Combo 2 is essentially just the shape of the plug, and I have made adapters to go between CCS-1 and CCS-2 that work perfectly. I also have inspected one of Tesla's CCS-2 adapters to understand how it's wired internally. It's in fact a very simple adapter - no complex circuitry like the CHAdeMO adapter. That got me to thinking, I wonder whether the US Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles also have the technical capability to charge at CCS stations. If so, then we can certainly make CCS Combo 1 adapters for use in the US!

So, any volunteers who would be willing to try a prototype adapter to see if you can charge at a CCS charger? If you're in California in the Fresno/Bakersfield area and have a Tesla vehicle produced after May 1, 2019, let's talk - please reply here or send me a PM.

Good point. In Europe, all the new Model 3's and Y's already come with a CCS port - so they can plug right in without needing an adapter. I think that's why Tesla didn't mention them. Of course the North American vehicles use their proprietary connector, but in Europe Tesla is switching over to CCS. I'd be happy to test with any new Tesla vehicle, but ultimately if it works with the 3 and Y, it's important to also confirm that it works the same with the S and X.

Last edited:
I think I need to enlighten my question… I naively almost charged my MS 2017 with a CCS Combo 2 adaptor because someone offered it to me to use his own when I arrived at a Tesla charger spot with no CCS combo 2 connectors. I refused because I didn’t want to bother him. When I was at later, I read at the Tesla site that it isn’t possible. I was shocked… My question is, what would have happened to my MS 2017 interior wiring? Could the system be overheated? Fire even? Thx in advance for you answer.