Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Needing some advise with wanting to wrap interior trim and paint my calibers gold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow Tesla lovers!! I'm new to the forum and this is my first Tesla! Im getting my model 3 in a couple of weeks and I'm so excited!

For the exterior, I'm having someone wrap the car with PPF (Paint Protection Film) and also doing the chrome delete. For the interior, I'm wrapping the console with matte black instead of having the piano finish and also wrapping the door pieces that have piano black finishes to matte black finish.

SO here's where I'm needing your help......

I was hoping to get some feed back from you guys to help me decide if this is a good idea/seeing if anyone else has done this....... so..... im wanting get an installer to put wrap (3M adhesive) on the interior trim, to cover the silver color that it comes with.

I've included a picture of another Tesla who's owner has done basically, exactly what I want to do to my car, except I don't want blue hahaha (photo credit/Instagram:casper_model3). And to clarify even further what I'm wanting to do, I've included an untouched interior model 3 photo with red arrows, pointing to the areas that I want to put 3M adhesive on.

And one more thing... I'm wanting to get my caliber's painted like how they are on the performance 3 but instead of red, I’m wanting them gold. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what paint to get? DO you know if there Is there a specialty paint? Or any suggestions on how to get them gold? NOT YELLOW!!! Gold hahaha

Hopefully all of this makes sense Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I'm excited to hear your responses!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 9.29.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 9.29.46 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 151
  • df201145-b3ae-496d-8ad5-ab93a4eee0c9-1.jpg
    df201145-b3ae-496d-8ad5-ab93a4eee0c9-1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 9.28.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 9.28.42 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7881_grande.jpg
    IMG_7881_grande.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 229
I think, if you like the look, sure, go ahead and have the little trim pieces wrapped. Most are not difficult at all with some dissasembly (e.g. steering wheel trim, center console side pieces, dash trim, etc.) so figure it is mainly labor expense. I would guess (a complete guess) to have the trim wrapped you want...properly...to expect $350 or so. Maybe $10 worth of material and 3-4 hours of shop time. I don't personally think it is worth the hassle to go to matte black (vs. a contrasting and themed color), but hey, whatever floats your boat.

On the calipers, if you DIY, the G2 kit is solid and a favorite of many. There are many retailers for this product and you can see plenty of examples of their gold color if you google it. If you choose to have a professional do it, it will generally have a bit more pop but also cost $500-$750 if they paint/airbrush on your car or a bit more than that if you want to have the calipers removed and powdercoated. In that case, you also have more labor cost associated with R&R as well as may have to bleed the brake system.

I wrapped the silver trim on the center console (including the cup holder) a few different times to see what color I liked. I ended up with just matte white to match the white seats. Here are a few pics, one of when I tried it in orange to match the calipers I painted myself. Check the link in my signature if you want to see a how-to post on painting them yourself I made a few years back.

iF79i0Y.jpg

YaaVbUg.jpg

Automotive shops will sell brake caliper specific paint and paintkit. They are specific because of the temperature requirement.

As for questions on the other color-coded trim modifications... thats a big no from me dawg :)

Definitely would wrap/cover the shiny plastic console, because shiny plastic is no good