TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Needs more Bumper protection

Discussion in 'Model S' started by C. Shennad, Apr 22, 2009.

1. C. Shennad

C. Shennad New Member

After looking closely at the front and the rear of the car there is an obvious lack of bumper protection at either end.

Though it looks good as a show car the slightest tap in the rear will result in lower edge hatch damage or springing of the entire hatch frame not to mention both rear quarter panels.

The front has only direct centered impact protection and the hood and grille area would be trashed either way.

The car is beautiful and actually practical but wouldn't last a day in an every day environment without better front and rear impact protection.

I'd gladly sacrifice a little glitz for at least some investment protection (real bumpers).

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Which car?

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Model S I assume. This is the Model S forum.

I said the same thing a while back when I first saw the Model S teaser shots.
    Keep in mind that the car being shown now isn't the final version. The bumpers could be changed for production.

4. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

And also keep in mind that TM has said that Model S will meet all requirements for a 5 star crash rating.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Sort of what I meant. The prototype, the clay mockup, the extreior design thing, at this point they are all fantasies. Most cars go through bumper-itis when they finally come out. The ones you are looking at have not even been number crunched though crash simulation software, let alone a real crash ready vehicle. That's the car to comment on.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Lots of bumpers going on here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...not.

I presume they are crash tested (well, currently 2 of them anyway).

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Things have been different in Europe, although they are "relaxing" over here now too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumper_(automobile)
    I guess some of us assume large bumpers in USA because of the old North American "5 mph no damage" rules. Apparently those rules are being relaxed now, so big bumpers aren't required anymore.

Canada to bring vehicle bumper standards in line with U.S.A, Europe

The following photo shows an example Benz with the European bumper above, and the required add-on North American bumper below:
    mb-w116-detail.jpg

8. roblab

roblab Active Member

The last two "accidents" I've had were tail ending a car on the freeway (cut in front, hit brakes), who had his car's rear jacked up, and who's exhaust pipe barely scratched the top of the bumper while the rest of the car took out my radiator, AC, hood, etc., and a parking lot rear end to rear end with a Silverado. His truck bumper hit me square in the back door of my EV, never even got close to the bumper. Fat lot of good these bumpers do, unless we make laws that require ALL cars to have same height same width protection. You know how that will go.
    I still think the best bet is to avoid accidents, but that is soooo hard when you are driving a hot car.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

AFAIK, 5 mph bumpers only ever applied to passenger cars anyways, so large trucks would do their own thing at the peril of the cars.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

This was last Monday in Seattle.
    [​IMG]

I wish I could find a picture of those huge 80's bumpers on the Countachs. Ugly as sin.

11. graham

graham Active Member

That is a heart breaking picture...

Were the people hurt?

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

When I saw the story on (national) TV, they said no one was hurt.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#13 TEG, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
    Lamborghini Countach LP112D26 25th Anniversario
    Euro vs US:
    b-dron.jpg b-consumerguide2.jpg

Euro vs US:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

(And that US one doesn't even have the bumper 'warts' they put on some cars)

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Euro X 1/9 bumper vs US X 1/9:
    Fiat-X1-9-defilering.jpg [​IMG]

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Exemplary work as always TEG. That last image of the white one was my memory of an abomination.

Ah the X1-9
    As designed
    x19proto.GIF

The later US bumper looked much better

bert1b.gif

Stripped for racing
    [​IMG]

Another car (when properly turbocharged) that gave that "smile" we have discussed here.