Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Needs Noise insulation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a big fan of Tesla. But.... after test driving both the Model X and Y the question is why is there a lack of insulation to deaden the sounds of outside traffic? To be clear, it is not wind or road noise, it is cars and trucks passing on the city freeways. It was so bad that the navigation system often could not be heard when a car was passing. Once getting off the busy freeway and onto a less travelled parkway it was fine, wind and road noise could not be heard. I thought the more expensive luxury model X would be better than the Y but it wasn't. Is it the extensive glass in the roof or lack of sound deadening insulation in the doors?

Has anyone attempted to install sound deadening insulation other than the guy in 2014 on model the Model S? All else about both the Y and the X was good, I loved both the Y and X particularly air suspension nice smooth ride. Looking forward to FSD but the freeway noise is too much.

I’d love an update on this too! I would even pay Tesla to do this for me.
Why don’t you pay a local shop to do it? Or try it yourself? Installing dynamat or sound deadening materials isn’t that hard.

The real issue you are facing, which cannot be easily corrected, are the sound coming into the cabin from cheap glass and frameless windows design. And any noise that gets in is free to bounce around the cabin due to the glass roof.

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
That hasn't been our experience with a 2017 X. Some people have had door seal problems that do let noise in.
Perception of noise in the cabin also has a lot to do with what type of vehicle you are coming from. If it’s a Toyota Camry you probably won’t notice a difference.

If you’re coming from a 5 Series or S-class, it’s night and day. The Tesla is uncomfortably loud.

Perception of noise in the cabin also has a lot to do with what type of vehicle you are coming from. If it’s a Toyota Camry you probably won’t notice a difference.

If you’re coming from a 5 Series or S-class, it’s night and day. The Tesla is uncomfortably loud.
Night and day difference between Model 3 and Model X. That’s the main reason I traded. Does OP own either. I did have a problem on the X that I fixed myself.

OP= original Poster? I have neither but have test driven both Y and X and the city freeway noise was immediate. How did you (mswlogo) fix the problem yourself? I do see that many have purchased door sealing kit for the model 3.

I’d love an update on this too! I would even pay Tesla to do this for me.

I did see several you tubes of people purchasing and installing door sealing kits made specifically for the model 3 but not for any other. I don't understand why this has not been an issue with other Tesla owners. I drive a Honda and wife has a Lexus SUV. Curiously the Lexus generates more noise in the rear than the Honda.

OP= original Poster? I have neither but have test driven both Y and X and the city freeway noise was immediate. How did you (mswlogo) fix the problem yourself? I do see that many have purchased door sealing kit for the model 3.

Possible wind noise around drivers side mirror Model X Raven

Turns out there are many QA opportunities to allow noise to infiltrate the cabin. And they are cumulative. I suspect a perfectly built X is quite good. The problem in the link above that I fixed was major and I bet a lot of cars have this adjustment off. I also did a YouTube video on how to test for the problem.

When I did have the panel off I did cleanup lots of small places for noise leaks. I plan to go through all the panels. But they are a bear to get off.

X is already triple gaskets and no need for 3rd party. Assuming they are not flapping around like mine was as well.

I suspect acoustic glass on windshield and front doors could bring the X up another notch.

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
Night and day difference between Model 3 and Model X. That’s the main reason I traded. Does OP own either. I did have a problem on the X that I fixed myself.

Are you saying the X is noticeably more quiet than the 3 or Y?
I'm in the market for a Y or X but can't decide. I like the size of Y but I like the big front window of the X and heard the X is more comfortable. I was all in on FSD but not I'm probably thinking it's noth worth 10k because I won't use it enough.

Coming from a BMW X5, the Model X is definitely a lot noisier at least in my case. In addition to occasional wind noise at low speeds, there is a substantial amount of road noise coming from the front end. I'd love to look into sound deadening insulation if it does in fact address the issue.

Reactions: mohanman