Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative attitudes towards the Model S in Seattle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently drive a Volt but planning to get a Model S sometime after moving to Seattle next week. I saw an episode of Anthony Bourdain's Layover show recently set in Seattle. He drove a Model S around and seemed to really like it. Some beatnik pulled up next to him on a motorcycle asking how much it costs. Bourdain responded that it was around a 100K. The guy made a snide remark about how it was a family car for the 1%. Is this a common attitude toward the Model S around there?

I can't speak for the Model S owners since I don't have one.

But, as a Roadster owner, I regularly get "thumbs up" signals from other drivers on the road and parking lots.

Seattle/Western Washington is the second largest market for Tesla after California. We're one of the largest markets for Nissan Leafs. Bellevue Nissan is the largest Leaf dealer in the country. So safe to say, we have a very "green" mentality around here. We have one of the lowest electricity rates in the country thanks to so much hydro power, so it makes even more sense to go with EV's.

So no, I don't think there's or there will be a negative attitude towards Model S here. If anything, just the opposite.

Welcome.

Remember reading some post here about a guy going to a concert in Seattle, and in the parking lot some lady went off on him.

If anyone gives you a hard time, just ask them if they have driven one--that gets them going. :wink:

I've actually had quite the opposite. I get a great deal of questions about it, and I've been sticking to my commitment to myself: Always answer questions when i'm asked. For 6 months now, the questions haven't slowed down and I'm still excited to answer them. I have noticed the questions changing from "What car is that?" to "Is that a Tesla?". To which I always excitedly respond "You better believe it!"

I find that people's reactions change when they can hear the excitement in my voice and when they listen to why I think it's a huge change for our society.

I also *always* correct them on the price saying they start at $64k after the tax credit. I think this also changes people's perceptions. Honestly, every time i see an Audi A7 with paper plates I just shake my head and wonder if that driver missed the memo.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, i *just* got my Lyft (http://www.lyft.com/) drivers certification and hope to continue to spread the good word.

@ hull22

Unfortunately it seems we’ll be stuck with some uninformed/misinformed people for a while longer. And it seems there are two somewhat recent confirmed sightings in the Seattle area... (Is there a saying: “Ignorance is bliss”?)

The question is though: Are you going to adjust your life according to these people's delusional view of the world around them? (Please let us know that you won’t…)

Last edited:
I'm the "poor guy" that got an earful of "that's just over the top" and "what a waste of money". I think this was a 99%er seeking her version of social justice. There are always people that want to tell you how to live your life. I just ignore those people. I also got a "that's a status car" from my well heeled neighbor (who drives an somewhat expensive vehicle). I work hard to ignore her for a number of reasons. The vast majority of interactions are like I got today. In downtown Seattle dropping off a friend and some guy in an SUV pulled up next to me and started going on about how cool my MS is. He was practically babbling with excitement. "No Gas! No Gas!" I get thumbs-up, waves, smiles and lots of "beautiful car" comments. A few weeks ago I was at a stop light and this woman walking in the cross walk mouthed "What a beautiful car". It didn't take any lip reading. I find that about every second or third trip I spend about 10 minutes talking to someone about the S, Tesla and EVs in general.

I've been driving a Roadster in the Seattle area for 4 years, and my wife has been driving a Model S for 1 year. We have never had any bad reactions at all (well, except for a very few that are confused about general EV issues like if they are safer or cleaner than gas cars. Those people are everywhere online, but rare in person. I have heard disappointed comments about the price, but nothing snide). We sure have had a ton of positive comments though!

We are on the East side, which may make a difference. But I do a lot of events in Seattle.

(We did get a snide comment in Wenatchee recently).

Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...447294.-2207520000.1380238245.&type=3&theater

Anthony Bourdain
Follow · July 11, 2012 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...47294.-2207520000.1380238245.&type=3&theater#

My sweet ride. Tesla Model S!

545049_204876052972641_1375867859_n.jpg

Seattle/Western Washington is the second largest market for Tesla after California. We're one of the largest markets for Nissan Leafs. Bellevue Nissan is the largest Leaf dealer in the country.

It was reported that Washinton State is the #1 market for the Model S on a per capita basis. One in 100 new car registrations are Teslas here. It is likely a combination of cheap electricity, expensive gas, great incentives and a high tech audience. I'll see one or two within a span of 10 minutes. I haven't had anything but positive feedback, but now they are so common now that no one pays much attention anymore.

It is odd that folks refer to it as a status car. I wonder where that came from. How in the world were we supposed to know it would be a status car when we took the plunge? I thought that I was getting an unusual or uncommon car that no one would recognize. That didn't last long. But that is a good thing.

Very few down here in Pierce County - so far have seen just one MS and zero Roadsters. Until a few months ago, LEAFs were also rare, but sightings are picking up.

Being retired military, I am often at JBLM, and the MS gets thumbs up and positive comments. If a soldier or airman is really interested, I'm a sucker for putting them behind the wheel for a spin around the base.

people who have negative attitudes are just lame!
leave them alone
He means leave them at the light and don't look back. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Who cares what someone else thinks? It really is none of their business how much you spend on a car.
As long as people don't damage me or my vehicle, I kind of don't care what they think. The intelligent ones will inform themselves and have an opinion worth having. The rest will never be worth my time.