Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative Camber and Tire wear on MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@blurryeyed
I have similar miles 16,000 on original continental 21s. Rotated at 4k and 11.5k. P85, 350kw/mile lifetime ave. can't remember exact rear camber but it is out of spec too negative.

Driving 90% highway miles at 65-85 mph. Drive near speed limit in city but usually take turns at speed since car handles well, no need to decelerate, unless traffic, pedestrians, weather etc warrant.

I think I should be a prime candidate for early wear on the tires, but have tread depth of 5-6 across all tires except very inside edge of shoulders on fronts which have 2-3, probably do to rear toe misalignment caught at 2nd rotation. Worth noting that the tire with the worst toe problem was in a "minor" wheel-curb meet up a few weeks before the second rotation/ alignment.

I have a P85 with air and I am currently on track to achieve 25-30,000 miles from my 21 Conti's. I have been using lolachampcar's revised rear camber links with 0.00 rear toe and also follow an "inside-out" (some states will not issue an inspection with side-specific/directional tires mounted in this fashion) and X-rotation strategy every 6,500 miles. I always run my tire pressures 0-2 psi less than the tire manufacture stated maximum.

Since our cars do EVERYthing vastly superior to ICE cars and do it all with no drama, it is just too easy to enjoy the daily indescribable capabilities of our S and claim to be a conservative driver and then become disappointed with tire longevity from performance tires with UTQG ratings of 220-340.

Update: Going back to alignment rack to remove 50% of front negative camber bringing me to approximately -.3 to further reduce inside shoulder wear.

Last edited:
I have a P85 with air and I am currently on track to achieve 25-30,000 miles from my 21 Conti's. I have been using lolachampcar's revised rear camber links and also follow an "inside-out" (some states will not issue an inspection with tires mounted in this fashion) rotation strategy every 6,500 miles.

Since our cars do EVERYthing vastly superior to ICE cars and do it all with no drama, it is just too easy to enjoy the daily indescribable capabilities of our S and claim to be a conservative driver and become disappointed with tire longevity.

Wow! That's pretty fantastic numbers to say the least--congrats!

Very awesome! Spread the good word.

I have a P85 with air and I am currently on track to achieve 25-30,000 miles from my 21 Conti's. I have been using lolachampcar's revised rear camber links and also follow an "inside-out" (some states will not issue an inspection with tires mounted in this fashion) rotation strategy every 6,500 miles.

Since our cars do EVERYthing vastly superior to ICE cars and do it all with no drama, it is just too easy to enjoy the daily indescribable capabilities of our S and claim to be a conservative driver and then become disappointed with tire longevity.

If you are worried about wear I saw that tirerack has a LRR-all-season-tire from Pirelli with 700 UTQG.

+1
Not necessarily a Pirelli fan, but that new Pirelli with a WHOPPING 700 UTQG caught my eye as well for our 20's.

Update on our original 21 Conti's:
Currently have 25,000 miles and will easily get past 30,000. 5.8 along with the new revised ride height in "standard" is helping me get closer to a 35,000 (projected) tire life expectancy.

There is a huge disparity in wear which does not seem to be directly tied to driving style. There are aggressive drivers who report good wear while some very mild drivers are getting hammered. There have been reports of excessive toe (both in and, if you can believe this, OUT).
My service center aligned my car at least once (looks like twice) with -0.25 of toe on each side. That's an extreme amount of toe out. However, the machine they used for alignment said factory spec was -0.30 to -0.10, so that's what they set it to.

Unsurprisingly, my 21" Michelins didn't last.