Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative reputation points need to be eliminated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the combination soldering gun - wood burner from the catalog, and was sent a note explaining that only terrorists order that item, and I was going to be watched by the government from here on out. Bad choice I guess, I was only going to use it to fix my battery pack.

:)

On a more serious note, though, I accidentally gave negative reputation to efusco this morning. I highlighted the reputation button, started to type my reason (positive was selected) but my gorilla hands and Mac's touchpad don't get along and it accidentally scrolled down to the next post by Doug_G. When I scrolled back up and highlighted the reputation box for Evan again, I guess it had selected the negative response. I didn't look -- typed out my reasoning -- and then saw "Thanks for deducting reputation from this user."

I dropped him a PM to let him know, but there's apparently no way to retract / correct that. So if you see a good post for Evan, drop him a positive to counteract please?

I dropped him a PM to let him know, but there's apparently no way to retract / correct that. So if you see a good post for Evan, drop him a positive to counteract please?

Will do...

What I have personally found most annoying about this ability to anonymously criticize posters is the inability to respond without taking it back to the thread and venting like a little child (which I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to do in that moment). Though fairly quiet on the forums myself, I rec'd neg rep for a post and found it most frustrating that one of the reasons cited was for being mean to the original poster of the thread... which was ...ummm... ME! (I posted a reply to give more info). Okey dokey. I told myself "Sorry" but I couldn't point out the 'mistake' to my criticizer. :p

I left him an anonymous + rep point about two weeks ago, though he did deserve it, so I can't really say that I counteracted the evil perpetrated by your possessed Apple hardware.:wink:

A bit OT, but you have zero idea how possessed Apple hardware is for me. I once had my MacBook Pro literally catch fire twice on my desk. First time they replaced the logic board, then second time they did an engineering failure analysis. Turns out that a bent pin in a firewire cable can cause the MBP to catch fire! It's rather concerning to be using the computer, watch the screen go black, then see smoke and hear crackling coming from your computer...

A bit OT, but you have zero idea how possessed Apple hardware is for me. I once had my MacBook Pro literally catch fire twice on my desk. First time they replaced the logic board, then second time they did an engineering failure analysis. Turns out that a bent pin in a firewire cable can cause the MBP to catch fire! It's rather concerning to be using the computer, watch the screen go black, then see smoke and hear crackling coming from your computer...
Unless it's really cold out. ;)

Flasher, I think the electronics are afraid of you. "You act up again and I'm rewiring you!"

They're used almost exclusively by people who don't like hearing bad news, and applied to the bearers of bad news.

This isn't valid or desirable behavior. Don't encourage it. Get rid of the negative reputation point.
Unfortunately, TMC has become a 'fan boy' site where 'negative' comments are not tolerated... that said, you can have a lot of fun playing with peoples 'reputation' :wink:

FWIW, I have given positive reputation points to people who disagree with me, when the argument is thoughtful. When someone is just taking potshots, I typically reply right on the thread and don't give points either way. The times I've given negative reputation (always signed, by the way), is when someone is either just beating a dead horse and derailing conversation as a result or because the person is going over the top with personal attacks. Mods typically try pm'ing the person first. (And sometimes that backfires, but at least we try.)

But we always have some who insist that they can say whatever they want and hand out negative reputation to those who disagree with them. I've gotten more than one negative reputation point from people who don't like that I've disagreed with them. But the system balances out.

I do have to say I am amused by some of the people on this thread complaining about negative reputation points when they themselves have freely given out negative points to people who have had the audacity to disagree with them. Pot. Kettle.

@Bonnie

In this case I have been given a negative reputation point at post #3 of this thread. I agree with you that there are times that negative reputation points are more than deserved, but in this case my post #3 is based on the thought of reciprocal respect among TMC members for their personal views which is a good thought I suppose. I would like to point out that I have been given 5 positive reputation points to the same post.
That's why I think that negative reputation points should be filtered by the moderators who should judge if the negative reputation point given by TMC members is deserved or not.