Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negotiating on CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, Noob here with a question on buying a CPO thru Tesla. Has anyone negotiated the price successfully down from the listed price?

TIA

Yes, a few people have reported negotiating down between $1500 and $2000 at the end of a quarter so they can record the sale during that quarter. But I think you have to pay and take delivery before quarter-end for it to work.

Be sure to check out my CPO Consolidator for a condensed way to look at all CPO cars available: http://ev-cpo.com/

Yes, a few people have reported negotiating down between $1500 and $2000 at the end of a quarter so they can record the sale during that quarter. But I think you have to pay and take delivery before quarter-end for it to work.

Be sure to check out my CPO Consolidator for a condensed way to look at all CPO cars available: http://ev-cpo.com/

HankLloydRight, what a useful site - thank you!

Hank, is this consolidator somehow tied into the Tesla system? I guess if I'm looking to get a CPO Tesla, I should ask the tesla store to keep on the lookout for me as well.

Thanks

Hank, is this consolidator somehow tied into the Tesla system? I guess if I'm looking to get a CPO Tesla, I should ask the tesla store to keep on the lookout for me as well.

Thanks

As many will attest, get a premium subscription to Hank's CPOC. You can setup email alerts with your specific parameters; the CPOC updates from the Tesla CPO site several times an hour. Cheap & worthwhile if you are actively looking.

As many will attest, get a premium subscription to Hank's CPOC. You can setup email alerts with your specific parameters; the CPOC updates from the Tesla CPO site several times an hour. Cheap & worthwhile if you are actively looking.
Agreed about Hank's site. However, looking beyond your geographic area for a CPO that needs to be shipped (or you to be shipped to pick it up :)) is not wise because several have reported problems with transplanted CPO cars, and apparently Tesla is very strict about the "you deposit, you bought it" policy. Especially if they had to transport the vehicle on their dime.

If possible, select one that you can see, feel and drive at your local sales center. That way, you're not buying a pig in a poke.

Agreed about Hank's site. However, looking beyond your geographic area for a CPO that needs to be shipped (or you to be shipped to pick it up :)) is not wise because several have reported problems with transplanted CPO cars, and apparently Tesla is very strict about the "you deposit, you bought it" policy. Especially if they had to transport the vehicle on their dime.

If possible, select one that you can see, feel and drive at your local sales center. That way, you're not buying a pig in a poke.

This is good advice to do a thorough pre purchase inspection before paying for the car. If someone else buys the car before that, so be it. Feeling pressured to buy a used car sight unseen before you look up the service history and have the car checked for accident damage or paint issues along with a personal inspection in person is never a good idea.

To the best of my understanding, when you put down a deposit, Tesla will reserve/hold the car for you. At that point you can do your due diligence in having the car thoroughly inspected and if you discover something unsatisfactory I bet they will allow you to transfer the deposit towards another car. If they transport the car for you, it is only fair you pay for the transportation fees whether you buy the car or not.

EV-CPO is a GREAT website and Hank responds quickly to any questions. Stays up to date and basically summarizes everything VERSUS what I was originally doing...going to Teslas pre-owned page and going through every pre-owned location to see if had Tesla I wanted. EV-CPO sent alerts based on my criteria.

Tesla may lower at end of quarter BUT it is first come, first serve...rather first deposit has vehicle. I am in FL and Christian helped me out tremendously with CPOs and INVENTORY cars. I would say out of the 4 I was considering, once they went online...sold within 2 days. Most CPO sales dept. will have information before published and that is best way to get Inventory car which is more expensive then the CPO trade-ins. Also, when I was looking at P85D, every week or so price would decrease almost $1000 IF they lasted that long. GOOD LUCK though. I got extremely lucky and purchased 2015 P85D from non-Tesla dealer for great price.

Thanks for all the great comments about ev-cpo.com!! But yes, the galleries do have access to CPO cars before they are listed on the TM CPO site, as well as many more inventory cars that are not listed on ev-cpo.com. So I'd suggest a multi-pronged approach using ev-cpo and talking to your local sales folks to maximize your chances of getting a good deal.

HankLloydRight, that is sweet site! Thank you for the info; it's been extremely useful.

I scheduled a test drive at my Tesla showroom in CO for Monday so I'm really excited. I will be really curious to see how it drives as it'll be my first time in a Tesla. Wish me luck! :smile:

I'm not sure where all my replies went to. I suppose maybe because I don't have a lot of posts to this forum yet they've not allowed it to auto-post?

In any case, I've thanked HankLloydRight many times for his site but it never made it to the board. So anyway, if this does make it, here's another thank you, HankLloydRight!

I'm doing a test drive on Monday @ my local CO Tesla showroom. Looking forward to exercising my lead foot! :)

This is my 4th or 5th attempt at posting. I'm not sure why it's not showing up.

- - - Updated - - -

Well finally! So anyway to summarize my previous posts that went *poof*, thank you HankLloydRight for the evo-coo site, what a cool and useful site!

i have my test drive scheduled for today and can't wait to use my lead foot!

This is very wise, but it applies equally to inventory cars, as i discovered when i bought one. I would not discourage anybody from buying a car nto local to you, but i would go to visit the car prior to funding the deal and do the closing wherever the car is, then drive it back. The two people i know who did that are very happy, but that does make it a trifle difficult to make a fast decision on a really good deal.

This is very wise, but it applies equally to inventory cars, as i discovered when i bought one. I would not discourage anybody from buying a car nto local to you, but i would go to visit the car prior to funding the deal and do the closing wherever the car is, then drive it back. The two people i know who did that are very happy, but that does make it a trifle difficult to make a fast decision on a really good deal.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the inventory purchase. Does the federal tax credit apply to these vehicles? I was reading some info about it and Edmunds.com claims that if the vehicle is registered at all by the dealer (eg Tesla Motors) then the fed tax credit could not be taken by the buyer of the inventory car. What was the issue you had with the inventory car bought sight-unseen?

I'm assuming the addage it-couldnt-hurt-to-ask could apply if I wanted to see if they will negotiate. If they give it to me, great, if not, then I was not expecting it anyway.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the inventory purchase. Does the federal tax credit apply to these vehicles? I was reading some info about it and Edmunds.com claims that if the vehicle is registered at all by the dealer (eg Tesla Motors) then the fed tax credit could not be taken by the buyer of the inventory car. What was the issue you had with the inventory car bought sight-unseen?

I'm assuming the addage it-couldnt-hurt-to-ask could apply if I wanted to see if they will negotiate. If they give it to me, great, if not, then I was not expecting it anyway.

In Colorado, the $6000 state tax credit applies to CPO vehicles that have not previously been registered in Colorado. Because of this, I would suggest considering CPOs outside of Colorado and confirming they weren't originally from Colorado. The $7500 federal tax credit would not apply since it can only be claimed on new cars. There's another thread somewhere that mentions Colorado considers cars to be used if they have more than 1500 miles on them...so the federal credit wouldn't be available.