TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Neighbor buys Tesla Model S. Neighbor installs HPWC. Neighnor sell Tesla...

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by ponzu, Jun 26, 2018.

1. ponzu

ponzu Member

#1 ponzu, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    He must be the only person I know who willing went from a Tesla to a non-Tesla. He bough an S-Class MBZ instead. Perhaps leased. Perhaps better for his taxes, I am not prying.

He loved driving the Tesla. He hated "always having to charge it". Whatever that means. With the $500 HPWC + labor, which is probably another $500 min, but probably closer to $900, it would seem to me he already took care of the "hard" part.

So now the question is, should I make any moves to acquire said HPWC? Would I want to? Is a second-hand HPWC a good thing? First generation, I believe. Are 1st gen HPWC considered inferior or superior to the current offering? Am I supposed to pay an electrician to remove his and board up a hole? Would that eat into my margin, if one is to be enjoyed? The friend may give me the HPWC for free, though I will feel obliged to offer $250 to pick a number.

In the end, he may prefer a cool looking unused HPWC on his wall to a cover plate, and any proposal I may come with will be a non-starter.

It's just that knowing there is an unused HPWC in the neighborhood is going to drive me crazy. The current plan is to charge at work at 100v for about 5 hours daily and supplement at home, again, from a 110v outlet. This should cover the daily commute, but does not seem like a solid long term solution.

Plus I had to tell you about someone who sold a Tesla because he had to charge it all the time. Blew my mind.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Shoot your shot. I'm in the same boat. 110v outlet for me, or the two nearby SuperChargers. If I had an unused HPWC in my neighborhood, I'd be inquiring too.

3. Fusion

Fusion Member

I'd ask to just use it. Win win. Free charging. haha

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.32.4

There second generation wall connectors are better since they allow load sharing. If you won't ever use load sharing to charge multiple cars then the first generation connector would be fine.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

First gen is rock solid ..still using mine five years in ...also gen 2 can’t go 80a ..if u have older S with dual chargers that is a plus

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. ponzu

ponzu Member

You remind me of a Friends episode. You have to be a Friends fan. Ross tells Isabella Rosselini that their getting together is a once in a lifetime opportunity. "Yeah, for you", she replies. So is my free charging an my neighbor's house.

• Funny x 3
  7. Kuhz

Kuhz Member

2nd gen can be dialed up to 100A breaker = charge at ~80A

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  8. Stickers

Stickers Member

With the rebates available for EVSE installations, why bother getting a used one unless it was free? Search for AQMD's $250 rebate on EVSE hardware. If your're a SCE customer, look up there new program for $500/1500 rebate on install.

• Helpful x 2
  9. ponzu

ponzu Member

Thanks, I found the $250 AQMD thing. Can you help locating the SCE $500/1500 rebate on install?

10. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. Stickers

Stickers Member

• Helpful x 2
  12. ponzu

ponzu Member

13. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

How would having a HPWC solve that?

14. ponzu

ponzu Member

It would not. $500 would. What are we talking about here? Maybe you were answering someone else's question...

15. azred

azred Active Member

Sounds like your neighbor has a stalker.

• Funny x 3
  16. Owner

Owner Active Member

I have a Roadster 2009 charger 0-generation?
    works fine, works like a charm.

I think any "used" chargers would be fine to acquire.

17. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Doesn't really get you much to grab his HWPC. You'd have to pay an electrican to disconnect it, which would probably cost as much as the hardware is worth. Might as well just install a 14-50 outlet.

18. ponzu

ponzu Member

My thoughts.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Weird. Same situation on my street. A couple of months before I traded my S in on my X, there was a neighbor up the street with the identical X that I ordered (color and wheels, at least). He had a HPWC mounted outside his garage. I haven't seen the X for a couple of months or so and now a Mercedes GLE Coupe is parked in its place. Poor old HPWC just sitting there on the wall.

20. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Uggh, you are in the US, it's 120v in both cases. By spec 120v is normal, below 114v is out of range.

110v is ignorance that the spec changed almost 100 years ago, 100v I don't know I'll chalk that up to a typo, no 100v anywhere in US history that I know of.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1