Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighbor buys Tesla Model S. Neighbor installs HPWC. Neighnor sell Tesla...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He must be the only person I know who willing went from a Tesla to a non-Tesla. He bough an S-Class MBZ instead. Perhaps leased. Perhaps better for his taxes, I am not prying.

He loved driving the Tesla. He hated "always having to charge it". Whatever that means. With the $500 HPWC + labor, which is probably another $500 min, but probably closer to $900, it would seem to me he already took care of the "hard" part.

So now the question is, should I make any moves to acquire said HPWC? Would I want to? Is a second-hand HPWC a good thing? First generation, I believe. Are 1st gen HPWC considered inferior or superior to the current offering? Am I supposed to pay an electrician to remove his and board up a hole? Would that eat into my margin, if one is to be enjoyed? The friend may give me the HPWC for free, though I will feel obliged to offer $250 to pick a number.

In the end, he may prefer a cool looking unused HPWC on his wall to a cover plate, and any proposal I may come with will be a non-starter.

It's just that knowing there is an unused HPWC in the neighborhood is going to drive me crazy. The current plan is to charge at work at 100v for about 5 hours daily and supplement at home, again, from a 110v outlet. This should cover the daily commute, but does not seem like a solid long term solution.

Plus I had to tell you about someone who sold a Tesla because he had to charge it all the time. Blew my mind.

Last edited:
He must be the only person I know who willing went from a Tesla to a non-Tesla. He bough an S-Class MBZ instead. Perhaps leased. Perhaps better for his taxes, I am not prying.

He loved driving the Tesla. He hated "always having to charge it". Whatever that means. With the $500 HPWC + labor, which is probably another $500 min, but probably closer to $900, it would seem to me he already took care of the "hard" part.

So now the question is, should I make any moves to acquire said HPWC? Would I want to? Is a second-hand HPWC a good thing? First generation, I believe. Are 1st gen HPWC considered inferior or superior to the current offering? Am I supposed to pay an electrician to remove his and board up a hole? Would that eat into my margin, if one is to be enjoyed? The friend may give me the HPWC for free, though I will feel obliged to offer $250 to pick a number.

In the end, he may prefer a cool looking unused HPWC on his wall to a cover plate, and any proposal I may come with will be a non-starter.

It's just that knowing there is an unused HPWC in the neighborhood is going to drive me crazy. The current plan is to charge at work at 100v for about 5 hours daily and supplement at home, again, from a 110v outlet. This should cover the daily commute, but does not seem like a solid long term solution.

Plus I had to tell you about someone who sold a Tesla because he had to charge it all the time. Blew my mind.
Sounds like your neighbor has a stalker.

Doesn't really get you much to grab his HWPC. You'd have to pay an electrican to disconnect it, which would probably cost as much as the hardware is worth. Might as well just install a 14-50 outlet.

He must be the only person I know who willing went from a Tesla to a non-Tesla. He bough an S-Class MBZ instead.

Weird. Same situation on my street. A couple of months before I traded my S in on my X, there was a neighbor up the street with the identical X that I ordered (color and wheels, at least). He had a HPWC mounted outside his garage. I haven't seen the X for a couple of months or so and now a Mercedes GLE Coupe is parked in its place. Poor old HPWC just sitting there on the wall.

The current plan is to charge at work at 100v for about 5 hours daily and supplement at home, again, from a 110v outlet. This should cover the daily commute, but does not seem like a solid long term solution.

Uggh, you are in the US, it's 120v in both cases. By spec 120v is normal, below 114v is out of range.

110v is ignorance that the spec changed almost 100 years ago, 100v I don't know I'll chalk that up to a typo, no 100v anywhere in US history that I know of.