Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighbor had some questions about my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny yesterday my neighbor was walking his dogs by my house when I got home and was asking some question about charging, battery etc.
Then he ask if it's ok on the highway if it's able to merge/accelerate? Haha I just just laughed and said it's supercar fast my model isn't even the fastest and it does 3.7sec 0-60 and the quarter mile in 11.8. He really seemed stunned. Do people really think the Tesla is just a large Prius with 100 mile range?
I'll have to flag him down one day and take him for a spin or let him drive it.

Funny yesterday my neighbor was walking his dogs by my house when I got home and was asking some question about charging, battery etc.
Then he ask if it's ok on the highway if it's able to merge/accelerate? Haha I just just laughed and said it's supercar fast my model isn't even the fastest and it does 3.7sec 0-60 and the quarter mile in 11.8. He really seemed stunned. Do people really think the Tesla is just a large Prius with 100 mile range?
I'll have to flag him down one day and take him for a spin or let him drive it.
He must think it's a kit car with fiberglas body that you could buy out of the back of a comic book, and stick on a VW Beetle chassis, back in the day. Otherwise, why would such a fast-looking car be slow?

Supercar fast at highway speeds it is not, it's quite slow actually. Merging from a short onramp is fun though.
Yeah its not a 200mph car but don't we all drive the speed limit? 🤣 Honestly the 1/4 mile times are impressive as well as the 0-60. I remember as a kid building cars and cars this fast required a roll cage when they broke in to 11's.

Do people really think the Tesla is just a large Prius with 100 mile range?
The funny thing is, even a Prius is quick. I had 2007 Prius back in the day and everyone I took for a ride in it was surprised at how quick it was, and roomy inside. There are so many misconceptions about EV's and Hybrids.

But that is funny about your neighbor. How is it that anyone in this day and age thinks an electric vehicle might not be fast enough for the highway?

Guys, seriously, people just don't know. Period. I have had many conversations regarding my MY and it takes most folks by surprise when I tell them that:
  • The car is very very fast,
  • It has darn good range (made multiple trips AZ~Cape Cod~AZ),
  • It is very comfortable to drive,
  • It does not take "hours" to charge it up at charging stops,
  • The nav screen tells me where to charge, when to charge, how much to charge, etc.
When you first engage a none-EV owner in conversation in regard our autos assume they not only know nothing about EVs, but what little info they think they have is wildly wrong.

Rich

Guys, seriously, people just don't know. Period. I have had many conversations regarding my MY and it takes most folks by surprise when I tell them that:
  • The car is very very fast,
  • It has darn good range (made multiple trips AZ~Cape Cod~AZ),
  • It is very comfortable to drive,
  • It does not take "hours" to charge it up at charging stops,
  • The nav screen tells me where to charge, when to charge, how much to charge, etc.
When you first engage a none-EV owner in conversation in regard our autos assume they not only know nothing about EVs, but what little info they think they have is wildly wrong.

Rich
This is why I give test drives to every stranger I meet that shows any interest.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
By now though, you'd think they'd watch the news, the Internet or YouTube.

Depending on where they get that from (news) or where on the internet they go, they easily be getting some, lets call it "misinformation" like:

1. It takes forever to charge and you cant find anyplace to charge it
2. EVs are not "ready for mainstream"
3. You cant take a road trip in one, it will leave you stranded.
4. Only for driving around town

Not even counting all the tesla specific stuff. Heck, you can hear all those things above HERE from people who own them, spreading that stuff around that is either misinformation, or doesnt apply to most.

Reactions: Lindenwood
The taking forever to charge has to be the funniest thing. Who charges? I plug it in and it's full everyday.
It must suck having to stop for gas all the time during rush hour.

Overall I think people are coming around I know more and more people buying them. Renters across the street had a party and I was surprised to see 3 Tesla's show up. Also more and more people at work have them. Once people realize that they're fun and don't cost $100k it's not to much of a stretch.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Ok, come on now let’s stay realistic :). 2007 Prius does 0-60 in 10.7. That ain’t quick by my standards.
It was quick compared to similar sized vehicles at the time. Back them many thought Hybrids were extremely slow cars, because of how people drove them to get the best mileage. I drove mine like I did every other vehicle and still got around 50mpg.