Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighborhood gates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know if, or have seen FSD Beta handle neighborhood gates? When exiting my neighborhood will it wait for the gate to open?

And upon entering my neighborhood, I have a residents' gate lane on the right, and a visitors gate lane on the left. I wonder how it will handle this. Thanks in advance. Just preparing mentally for the (hopefully) FSD Beta button next week.

Does anybody know if, or have seen FSD Beta handle neighborhood gates? When exiting my neighborhood will it wait for the gate to open?

And upon entering my neighborhood, I have a residents' gate lane on the right, and a visitors gate lane on the left. I wonder how it will handle this. Thanks in advance. Just preparing mentally for the (hopefully) FSD Beta button next week.
FSD Beta is working on City Driving and not private roads/property or parking lots (or even limited access highway driving). So pulling up to and waiting on gates will be farther down the FSD road.

For instance my situation is FAR more complicated. I live in a high-rise and must enter a super large neighborhood parking deck that has about 10 different entrances/exits points with gates and navigate to my level. Then navigate to 1 of the 2 Nest gates on my parking level for my building. Then it would need to navigate to my assigned parking spot. There is no way my "generic" building address can help since it is to the front of building on street level.

I can't imagine how FSD will ever accomplishing this.

Also we do have a Supercharger in the Parking deck. So not sure how Tesla will handle navigating to the Supercharger either.

IMG_6243.jpeg

Last edited:
FSD Beta is working on City Driving and not private roads/property or parking lots (or even limited access highway driving). So pulling up to and waiting on gates will be farther down the FSD road.

For instance my situation is FAR more complicated. I live in a high-rise and must enter a super large neighborhood parking deck that has about 10 different entrances/exits points with gates and navigate to my level. Then navigate to 1 of the 2 Nest gates on my parking level for my building. Then it would need to navigate to my assigned parking spot. There is no way my "generic" building address can help since it is to the front of building on street level.

I can't imagine how FSD will ever accomplishing this.

Also we do have a Supercharger in the Parking deck. So not sure how Tesla will handle navigating to the Supercharger either.

View attachment 644059
Sounds reasonably straightforward. Mark your spot when you park it, and teach it the way to get there by driving there a few times on the same path.

Of course programming it going to be a bunch of work, and I don't think it's going to be a priority, because they'll be focused on enabling a service like what waymo does today first, before getting to cases like these.

You can't teach your individual car. All inputs are sent and aggregated into the neural net for fleet wide rule learning.
I taught my car to open the garage door when it approaches it. I do get your point that the current FSD codebase is all on the mothership and only inference runs in car.

But there's nothing stopping Tesla from putting a little bit of location triggered path planning on your profile and trigger it when you tell it that it's the end of the trip.

You can also think of this as a set of hints / guidelines to get to the target. No need to 'teach' it to drive specifically for that location. My original use of 'teach' was not in the ML sense of training a network, but generating these path planning hints when appropriate, for the car to navigate.