Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighborhood too modest for model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the same house I've lived in since I made a tenth of my current salary, so definitely not a fancy neighborhood by any stretch of the imagination. I also have too many other toys in my 1 car garage (Harley, bikes, etc) so can't actually fit a car in it, much less one as big as my MS. Years ago we had a concrete driveway poured to replace the original asphalt one, and I designed it to be able to park 3 cars side by side, which now comes in handy! My next door neighbor (a 65 year old woman) was nearly as excited about the Tesla as I was. So far everyone seems to think it's worth the price, and gets why I bought it. No haters in my 'hood!

My next door neighbor (a 65 year old woman) was nearly as excited about the Tesla as I was.

This reminds me. When I took a tour of the Tesla Factory a month ago, there was a couple on the tour that had waited a long time and were very excited to pick up their Model S. They were in their late 80's! Really, folks that age should be allowed to go to the front of the line. Just so they have more time to enjoy their car.

I would not worry about your neighbors: mine have ALL been enthusiastic in their comments and response.

My across-the-street neighbor knew what my MS is, and I showed her a bit about the car.

I have been in my neighborhood for almost 20 years, and a lady I had NEVER EVEN SEEN (two blocks over) stopped by just so she could look at it up close.
Then I invited her to sit in it, and offered her a test drive at her convenience,
All she has to do is (mildly) convince her husband, and her current Acura is as good as gone...

I have been in my neighborhood for almost 20 years, and a lady I had NEVER EVEN SEEN (two blocks over) stopped by just so she could look at it up close.

How funny. This has been my experience exactly. I'm meeting so many neighbors now that I have the car. Some even drive over from the other side of the community to look at it and talk to me about it if I happen to be outside. These are people I would have never met or talked to otherwise. (All are very positive about the car).

In the Silicon Valley I swear the Model S is already more common the the Prius. It's sleek and all but other mainstream cars like the Optima and Fusion are catching up on the look fast, and more expensive cars like Benz's and BMWs are still more common everywhere. Heck my orange Fiat 500e electric gets more attention that my wife's MS so I wouldn't worry about it.

Better worry about this than the other way round ... a member on a motorcycle message board I'm on once wrote a post about his life in a a gated community ... three days after he moved in there were threee ladies from the home owners association knocking on his door, complaining about how his car (a new F-150) didn't fit in the neighbourhood because it was too cheap and he had better get a Caddilac Escalade or something similar ASAP, or else! :eek:

Too much free time on those ladies' hands, and not enough purpose, that's what I see. An American epidemic, to be sure. Gated communities, there's a great Veggie Tales song about that.

Staying on topic, here's what I have to say. On my street are some nice cars and some rust buckets. I gave up trying to fit in here, and a few neighbors tolerate me. A few are smart enough to leave me alone. I had the delivery done elsewhere due to the narrowness of my street, but I also just didn't want to make a big splash with a delivery service. That's what I recommend: be understated in it. Deliver it somewhere else. When I had my car around and neighbors saw it, a few staggered in awe or envy, a few made ugly and vacuous faces, and just one neighbor asked me if it was a Tesla and was excited for me. All of us who laid down more money on a Model S (or a Roadster) than we would for any other kind of car have made a statement and an investment in the future: we are making it cheaper for the next guy who decides to get an electric vehicle. I feel like I bought this car to stand on higher ground against a rising sea of short-term thinking in relation to the environment. If reactions are ones of a frugal nature, talk about how this car is a smart move in year 5 or year 10 when you're still not paying $1800+ a year in fuel, but instead paying $600 in electricity. Or maybe you aren't so good at mechanics and want a simpler system to maintain. Maybe you don't like owning a car that will rust. Green.autoblog.com had a story about how diesel fumes are a leading cause of increased risk of autism (2x as likely). I've shared that with a friend of mine and I didn't even know his son was autistic.

There is a lot to work with, but you need to make every interaction with your neighbors personal and an opportunity to listen first. Whatever you do, though, if you can, keep your car in a garage or keep it covered. Out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited:
Get the car. Drive the car. Love the car. Be proud of your wise choice.

If your neighbors are deciding how they feel about you based on what you drive; it's their issue.

Be a good person, and a good neighbor. The rest will take care of itself. If they still have a problem; it's their problem.

I say again: In 20 years most of them will be driving EV's and they'll think it was their idea.

The "oh he's the guy with the electric car" days will soon be over.:smile: