Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighboring car change while FWD is open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's say I'm at the kid's soccer match, or camping, or tailgating, and I leave my FWD open for a long time--so long, in fact, that while it's up a car parks next to me, or the car next to me changes. If the new car requires a narrower close, how is that detected, given that the required sensors are on the outside of the door? Does the door always close using the narrowest profile? Or is there a sensor a elsewhere, such as in the pillar or on the inside or underside of the door?

The ultrasonic sensors are on the lower outside panel. In your example, if the FWD is open, they would be already pointing to the sky. On the inside is resistance sensor and this when the FWD will hit something, they will beep and stop.

As @andrewket said, if the surrounding situation changes or if there are people around especially kids, be careful. Preferably be standing next to the car in case you need to stop the door from hitting someone or another car.

I believe as long as you have 12" (11.8") of space between your car and the newly parked car, the door will not have a collision. However, the FWD would collide if a box truck or another vehicle with a tall parallel side parked beside you at the minimum clearance requirement.

Last edited:
Interesting use-case.

I guess there isn't capacitive touch sensors on the inside of the door? I thought I read that somewhere. Not that it would help in this situation.

Also, this is another example of why we need to be able to drive with the doors open (different thread). You could pull forward and close the doors in this situation.

I believe as long as you have 12" (11.8") of space between your car and the newly parked car, the door will not have a collision. However, the FWD would collide if a box truck or another vehicle with a tall parallel side parked beside you at the minimum clearance requirement.

I could be mistaken, but what I thought I'd read was that the 12" requirement was the minimum to open the door effectively, and that the unconstrained worst case was 18" beyond the side of the car.

The OP's scenario does require them to pull in next to the open door pretty closely, but I think it might be realistic for tighter parking lots.

I could be mistaken, but what I thought I'd read was that the 12" requirement was the minimum to open the door effectively, and that the unconstrained worst case was 18" beyond the side of the car.

The OP's scenario does require them to pull in next to the open door pretty closely, but I think it might be realistic for tighter parking lots.
This is true upon opening the door, but if you tried to do this with the minimum 12" clearance that extends above the maximum radius of the arc of opening (in the most constrained scenario) your door will stop (i.e. Parked next to a wall) this would be the situation if someone came to park next to you after the fwd was already open, you would be fine with 12" clearance unless the new vehicle infringes into the maximum arc radius, roughly where the windows would be on a car or SUV.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the tighter closings are all slower - presumably the benefit to wider closing is faster closing.
I have noticed the wider arc opening faster than tighter arc (avoidance mode), makes sense since sensors are monitoring, but in the case of closing, a faster door will do more damage especially if someone is in the way. I vote for tightest arc and slower close if that is not already the case. I don't have my car yet but I will be checking these parameters once I get it and possibly making some recommendations if it is still an issue by then.