Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighbor's Model 3 had to be towed on day 2 :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Neighbor just texted me yesterday that his Model 3 had to be towed back to the service center on the 2nd day he owned it. He got the "car needs service" message and it basically shut down. Tow truck couldn't get it into tow mode (or neutral I guess, not sure there is a tow mode).

I know we have seen a few reports of Model 3's dying shortly after getting home, so I wonder how many of them we aren't seeing? My neighbor is a Tesla fan but isn't active on the forums, so doesn't follow all of the stuff here.

I feel bad for the guy - I had given him a ride in my early 3 and told him all about the car and he was really excited about it. I did do my standard warning that "Teslas are not very reliable", but it is one thing to be warned about that and quite another to experience the realities of having a new car towed on day 2.

I really hope he doesn't now get to also experience the joys of poor communication from our local service center. Last time we had a car there for an extended repair, they kept calling and giving us dates to pick the car up, and then calling day of and telling us the car wasn't ready. After about 3 times of taking off work to make arrangements to pick the car up only to have the car not ready at the last minute, my husband finally got fed up and told them to NOT call him again until the car was actually finished. Even then once they did call us, they ended up having to scramble to get the car done before closing and called us while we were driving down and wanted us to delay yet one more day to pick it up. We said "no way" and ended up staying after they closed to get it that night.

Honestly, I am a huge Tesla fan, but it is the stuff like this that is going to kill them in the long run if they don't get it sorted out. Regular folks aren't going to be very willing to roll with the punches when their car has to be towed on day 2.

Tesla needs to deliver 30,000 cars (and rising) in a month to keep pace with production. Tesla delivered only 160,000 Model S in TOTAL since 2012 at end of December 2016th.

Growing pains is an understatement.

My OWN Model 3 has charging issues and I will take my own medicine and trust Tesla will work it out in the end.

If they slow down and ship 100,000 less cars than they could have. It's 100,000 people out $3,500 in tax credits they would have qualified for.

All I can really say in these times of pain is

Hot-crazy matrix.

Tesla's are hot.. but they are crazy. Your choice if you want to get on the ride or not.

Reactions: Az_Rael