Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEM metering on account (SCE)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On SCE, you pay monthly for taxes and the "minimum" if you don't consume enough energy.

Your rolling credit/debits is settled annually.

You DO NOT get a check for that credit if it IS a credit at the end of the year, that's calculated at the WHOLESALE price if your energy consumption is less than energy generation.

I have an undersized solar system for my PowerWall2, so I generate enough credits, but not power, so my goal is to owe $20 or less at settlement.

Hope that helps.

On SCE, you pay monthly for taxes and the "minimum" if you don't consume enough energy.

Your rolling credit/debits is settled annually.

You DO NOT get a check for that credit if it IS a credit at the end of the year, that's calculated at the WHOLESALE price if your energy consumption is less than energy generation.

I have an undersized solar system for my PowerWall2, so I generate enough credits, but not power, so my goal is to owe $20 or less at settlement.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.. what is the SCE minimum I pay each month? Starting second year can the credits (if any) from previous year cover the monthly charge?

@mnsweeps How do you have your powerwall configured? balanced or money-saving? Just curious. I am sure you have the EV TOU. My understanding is that money-saving will try to send some energy back to the grid during the 4pm-9pm peak rate (not much of that happening in the winter) so your credits will count for more. You still will have the non-bypassable charges of $.03 but if you can net at zero at the end during settle up that seems ideal. TOU PRIME is $.40 a day but no minimum daily charge. So they will still get you for $12 a month - I'll be interested too when I get my first bill. If I have excess credit somehow, my plan is to change to balanced which is supposed to use less grid overall.

edit: I think you will pay at least that $12 a month.

@mnsweeps How do you have your powerwall configured? balanced or money-saving? Just curious. I am sure you have the EV TOU. My understanding is that money-saving will try to send some energy back to the grid during the 4pm-9pm peak rate (not much of that happening in the winter) so your credits will count for more. You still will have the non-bypassable charges of $.03 but if you can net at zero at the end during settle up that seems ideal. TOU PRIME is $.40 a day but no minimum daily charge. So they will still get you for $12 a month - I'll be interested too when I get my first bill. If I have excess credit somehow, my plan is to change to balanced which is supposed to use less grid overall.

edit: I think you will pay at least that $12 a month.

TOU - Prime is what I am on. Basically, 4 pm - 9 pm is peak for all 7 days of the week. I am on BALANCED mode and like it so far. Balanced mode fills your PW to 100% and powers the house before sending excess to the grid.

TOU - Prime is what I am on. Basically, 4 pm - 9 pm is peak for all 7 days of the week. I am on BALANCED mode and like it so far. Balanced mode fills your PW to 100% and powers the house before sending excess to the grid.

That is how my friend has his configured. He's been 90%-95% self powered but he doesn't have TOU PRIME. Not sure why - I think that would work best for him and he can change to it since he has 2 powerwalls now.

FWIW I'm on the same basic setup (SCE Prime, 7 kW system, 2 Powerwalls) and my monthly minimum charge varies from $12-13 in the summer months to sometimes $23+ in the winter months (excess attributable to taxes/fees on usage which are a few cents per kWh). My total cost for the year (on month 11 of 12) is -$200 or so. I'll probably end up with a $100 or so in credits disappearing and not much wholesale payment, which is fine with me as it's like $0.02-.03 per kWh, which is not worth it. If you have a lot of leftover credit it's probably more worth it to scrap a gas dryer or water heater and switch to electric, as you'll get the full value of your produced solar.

Reactions: mnsweeps
FWIW I'm on the same basic setup (SCE Prime, 7 kW system, 2 Powerwalls) and my monthly minimum charge varies from $12-13 in the summer months to sometimes $23+ in the winter months (excess attributable to taxes/fees on usage which are a few cents per kWh). My total cost for the year (on month 11 of 12) is -$200 or so. I'll probably end up with a $100 or so in credits disappearing and not much wholesale payment, which is fine with me as it's like $0.02-.03 per kWh, which is not worth it. If you have a lot of leftover credit it's probably more worth it to scrap a gas dryer or water heater and switch to electric, as you'll get the full value of your produced solar.

I just changed my propane dryer to a new electric

Reactions: mnsweeps

Good point. I see you have 2 Tesla cars. I also have a Model 3 and a Model Y and charge them after 9 pm.. do your credits / feedback to the grid cover the car charging costs in all months?

I am actually surprised SCE so quickly moved me to NEM metering starting Dec 5. I have heard horror stories of it getting delayed by months / a year on some accounts which got PTO way before me..
Yes that's very fast. I waited 2 months from PTO until I began month 1 of 12. Also I requested TOU Prime due to (3) Powerwalls and they put me on TOU 4-9. Also viewing my usage online has been down since they added the NEM. I got 3 billing cycles with "estimated" usage which they won't update with actual usage. They are slow as heck.

Switching from TOU 4-9 to TOU Prime would take up to 2 billing cycles they said. Really!

I switched to the TOU 5-8 and it happened next billing cycle. I switched to TOU Prime this billing cycle and my cycle is up on Dec 14. I only changed it 2 weeks ago and they said it should switch next cycle. All I know is that my registered HAN device that gets a message sent to it each day through the meter via zig bee changed my rate to $0.00/kWh the next day. I expect it to fix once the rate is in effect. It shouldn’t take that long. But I will follow up next week and let you know. I’ll be a little pissed if it doesn’t change. Right now I’m paying 50% more to charge my model Y.