Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 10-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla OEM 10-30 adapter (Gen 1) got fried last weekend. Replacement is no longer available on the Tesla site.
Why do you think it's not available? Did it say it was out of stock when you tried to add it to your cart? I've heard a couple of people think they weren't available anymore just because they couldn't find it when Tesla rearranged their online store pages a little. Go to "Shop", "Charging", "Model S", "Adapters". There are the Gen 2 adapters near the top, but lower down are the Gen 1 adapters, and the 10-30 is still listed there as one of the ones you can buy. So buy it.
Model S/X Gen 1 NEMA Adapters

But if it truly isn't available anymore for some reason...I would start calling around service centers to see if you can get one. OK, now seriously, I have a few cords from EVSEAdapters, and they make great stuff, and are a really well-respected source for Tesla adapters, and that is exactly what I would order if I couldn't get the official one from Tesla. I was very happy to see they are now making Gen 1 and Gen 2 adapters with the resistors inside to properly set the current to get people away from all this stuff of trying to convert everything to a 14-50 outlet.

My Tesla OEM 10-30 adapter (Gen 1) got fried last weekend. Replacement is no longer available on the Tesla site. Has anyone had any experience with this one: NEMA 10-30 Dryer Outlet Adapter for Tesla Model S and X Gen 1

I use the adapter quite a bit and want to get a replacement. Any thoughts?
My first step in this situation would be to take the burned adapter and UMC to a Tesla Service Center and see if they will replace it on goodwill.

My Tesla OEM 10-30 adapter (Gen 1) got fried last weekend. Replacement is no longer available on the Tesla site. Has anyone had any experience with this one: NEMA 10-30 Dryer Outlet Adapter for Tesla Model S and X Gen 1

I use the adapter quite a bit and want to get a replacement. Any thoughts?
Was it an original 10-30 adapter (black plastic on the face which connects to the UMC) or revised 10-30 adapter (gray plastic on the UMC side)? If it was an original (black), there was a recall on those a while back & it should have been replaced by Tesla with the newer version... odds are that they would replace a failed original adapter for free.

Why do you think it's not available? Did it say it was out of stock when you tried to add it to your cart? I've heard a couple of people think they weren't available anymore just because they couldn't find it when Tesla rearranged their online store pages a little. Go to "Shop", "Charging", "Model S", "Adapters". There are the Gen 2 adapters near the top, but lower down are the Gen 1 adapters, and the 10-30 is still listed there as one of the ones you can buy. So buy it.
Model S/X Gen 1 NEMA Adapters

But if it truly isn't available anymore for some reason...I would start calling around service centers to see if you can get one. OK, now seriously, I have a few cords from EVSEAdapters, and they make great stuff, and are a really well-respected source for Tesla adapters, and that is exactly what I would order if I couldn't get the official one from Tesla. I was very happy to see they are now making Gen 1 and Gen 2 adapters with the resistors inside to properly set the current to get people away from all this stuff of trying to convert everything to a 14-50 outlet.

Thanks. I simply didn’t notice the drop down indicator on the site - my fault for not paying attention. They are available and one is on the way to me.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Was it an original 10-30 adapter (black plastic on the face which connects to the UMC) or revised 10-30 adapter (gray plastic on the UMC side)? If it was an original (black), there was a recall on those a while back & it should have been replaced by Tesla with the newer version... odds are that they would replace a failed original adapter for free.

Mine was the revised version I received after the recall. I suspect there was an issue with the outlet. It was strange, as I got a full 24 amp charge, as usual, and the car charged just fine. After the battery fully charged, it sat plugged in for about 6 hours. When I unplugged, the face (plug side) of the adaptor was showing signs of high heat, and the material around one of the plug blades had started to melt. The blade stayed in the adaptor, but can be wiggled back and forth. The adaptor also has a bad burned plastic smell.

I have used the adaptor many times over the past 3 or 4 years, and have never had an issue. This was a location where I had not charged before, and the outlet looked pretty old. Once I returned home, I put the 14-50 adaptor back on and charged on my home plug with no problem, so it is not an issue with the mobile charger.

Lesson learned - I will not charge overnight in the future unless it is an outlet I have successfully used before.

Reactions: miimura
My first step in this situation would be to take the burned adapter and UMC to a Tesla Service Center and see if they will replace it on goodwill.

Spoke with the Service Center parts dept in Tampa. No such offer was given. I did offer to bring them the burned one in case they wanted to examine it for future reference. They said they did not want it.

I have used the adaptor many times over the past 3 or 4 years, and have never had an issue. This was a location where I had not charged before, and the outlet looked pretty old. Once I returned home, I put the 14-50 adaptor back on and charged on my home plug with no problem, so it is not an issue with the mobile charger.

Lesson learned - I will not charge overnight in the future unless it is an outlet I have successfully used before.
Most likely, the wire was not tightened properly to the outlet. There is no way you could have known that. Checking for heat after 30 and 60 minutes of charging is prudent on an outlet you've never used before.