Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 10-30 advice please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brother has a dryer that plugs into this outlet:

pic

I believe that is referred to as NEMA 10-30 -- the actual outlet says 30A-250V on it. The outlet is just on the other side of a door that goes into the basement, no more than 20 feet from where I'd be able to park. Instead of having anything installed at his house, I'd like to be able to come up with an adapter to charge my Telsa (just ordered a Model S 70D). So I have two questions...

1) Would the only additional piece of equipment to make this charging idea work be this item:

NEMA 10-30P Dryer Plug to 14-50R EV Adapter, 30A,125/250V

2) Also, if I needed a little extra length, could I purchase this item (my confusion here is Tesla states not to use extension cords):

NEMA 10-30 Dryer Extension Cords for EV use, 30A (125/250)

Thank you for the help.

I don't see an edit button so I'd like to add that a) I visit my brother about once every two months, and he rents his current house, so I'd rather not do anything permanent, and b) I believe that I would always need to make sure to set my Telsa to charge at 24 amps in this charging situation.

I might! Are you selling one?
I forgot that @supratachophobia has a legendary reputation for digging up discontinued 14-30 adapters. See this thread: Trying to find a Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter

I don't know know if his skill set extends to the 10-30, but it's worth a shot. PM him (if you haven't already). If you can't get a 10-30 (they were discontinued before the 14-30), I'd buy or build a 10-30P to 14-30R adapter and use that with the 14-30 UMC adapter. That way your car will automatically set the charge current correctly, rather than relying on you to dial it down (there are cases where the car can "forget" a manual current reduction, which could cause a fire risk).

I've never seen a commercial 10-30P to 14-30R, but it would be simple to make if you have a little DIY/electrical skill. You need a 3 prong dryer cord (10 gauge or better) and a 14-30 outlet. Here's a good thread: Home made charging adapters

See the Homemade Adapters FAQ link in the first post.

If you can get either kind of 30 A Tesla adapter for the UMC, grab it.

That way the car will never default to 40 A charging and overload the circuit. Yes you can dial it down to 24 A manually, but stuff happens sometime and it is good to be protected.

If you can't get the 10-30, you could make or buy an adapter from Tesla's 14-30 adapter. I would just have your extension cord made up with the ends that you need.

Tesla says "do not use extension cords," just like all of the other automakers. Using one every day is not a good idea, but occasional use is fine as long as you are careful.

Good Luck adapter hunting,

GSP

PS. I really wish Tesla would bring back some sort of 30 A UMC adapter.

I forgot that @supratachophobia has a legendary reputation for digging up discontinued 14-30 adapters. See this thread: Trying to find a Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter

I don't know know if his skill set extends to the 10-30, but it's worth a shot. PM him (if you haven't already). If you can't get a 10-30 (they were discontinued before the 14-30), I'd buy or build a 10-30P to 14-30R adapter and use that with the 14-30 UMC adapter. That way your car will automatically set the charge current correctly, rather than relying on you to dial it down (there are cases where the car can "forget" a manual current reduction, which could cause a fire risk).

I've never seen a commercial 10-30P to 14-30R, but it would be simple to make if you have a little DIY/electrical skill. You need a 3 prong dryer cord (10 gauge or better) and a 14-30 outlet. Here's a good thread: Home made charging adapters

See the Homemade Adapters FAQ link in the first post.

I have had 100% success in locating the 10-30 so far. Send me a PM if you need that one. And it's not my talent, I just got lucky finding the right people. Happy to help out fellow owners.

No, it would not.

The J1772 spec requires the pilot signal that informs the car. Simply connecting power to the power delivery pins in a J1772 connector will create errors. You need an EVSE that knows how to offer a pilot signal to the car and react to the car signaling the EVSE to close contacts.

Reactions: Prism7342
Is this being overthought? Buy a j1772 short extension,cut off end and wire to 1430 plug. Wall to extension to Tesla j1772 adapter to cord to car. Car sees j1772 adapter and sets charge lomit to 24 amps.

J1772 does not default to a 30 amp (24 amp limit). I've seen J1772 chargers from 240v 30 amps all the way up to 240v 80 amps. As FlasherZ says, the J1772 has a communications channel incorporated that sets the charge limit.

The charge limits for the different shaped NEMA plugs are based on the UMC detecting which Tesla-original adapter you're using on it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H