Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 10-50P to 14-50R Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Fellow Tesla Owners! I just have a quick question! So I live in an apartment and they only have NEMA 10-50P wall sockets, I tried to get an adapter from 10-50P to 14-50R but it was getting a fault. I did read in the manual to not do this. Could that be the reason? If it is, is there a way to by pass it because I would not be able to charge it any other way besides hitting up super chargers which I do not really want to do. Thanks and have a good day!

Haha, I'm down with the Y-splitter - janky ground wire and all. It's only pulling 24A which is just barely more than a few strings of Christmas lights.

Not so sure about the UMC thrown into the garden box though. And is the cord tucked into the groove of a public sidewalk? You sir have an enviable mix of patience and optimism.
Yeah I got lucky with that massive gap right behind my space... The only thing I'm really worried about is some moron complaining - it doesn't even get half as warm as my standard 14-50 setup in our old house. Luckily, doing this a couple of times a week, overnight, is plenty for the driving that I'm currently doing. But I cannot wait to go back to having an effing garage.

Upvote 0
Hi Fellow Tesla Owners! I just have a quick question! So I live in an apartment and they only have NEMA 10-50P wall sockets, I tried to get an adapter from 10-50P to 14-50R but it was getting a fault. I did read in the manual to not do this. Could that be the reason? If it is, is there a way to by pass it because I would not be able to charge it any other way besides hitting up super chargers which I do not really want to do. Thanks and have a good day!
I’ve charged off 10-50 without a problem.
Which adapter are you using? I made my own adapter, connecting the 10-50 neutral to the 14-50 ground. A neutral to neutral connection won’t work. You could additionally bond the 14-50 neutral and ground together, but I didn’t.

Wiring a ground to neutral is not to code, but it should work. You probably should not use this bastard connector/adapter for anything except charging a Tesla. Do not use for an RV or electric stove.

Can you measure the voltage from each leg to the neutral? Should be 120 V.

Upvote 0