Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-30 to Tesla - 3rd party adapters??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've just ordered my Tesla Model Y (AWD LR) and it won't be here for another 6-10 weeks unless someone drops out and I'm next in the queue here (it could happen?!?!).

Anyhoo - I have a NEMA 14-30 plug in my garage (240V/30A). Looking at the documentation from Tesla, it looks like I should be able to get about 21 miles/hour charging from this. I've seen some posts suggesting I should probably have this changed out to a NEMA 14-50 and have an electrician change out the electrical panel to get the best results. Not sure this is necessary but wanted to hear other's experiences.

I've checked Tesla's shop site and most everything looks to be "sold out". Are there any issues with 3rd party adapters and which ones to get or am I best to wait on Tesla? Still a newbie so sorry if this may have been discussed already.

Thanks

Jerry

~ 21 miles per hour charging sounds about right. It would be a rare person who does not find that sufficient.

Best to buy the Tesla adapter, since it prevents a mistaken case of drawing too many Amps and then tripping a breaker or worse case causing a fire.

third party adapters for the tesla mobile connector are available and work well. google "EVSE adapters" to find them.

the tesla wall connector is a better option, but will require an electrician to install and may be out of stock for a week at a time.

So the 3rd party NEMA 14-30 connectors are as much as the Tesla ones (~$35-50). I saw on Tesla's site today that their's came in so I ordered one. Also ordered the Home Charger and will have professionally installed next month (soonest the installer can get here apparently). At least I will have a back up charging option. Got the notice last night that I'm 3-8 days away from delivery for my new Model Y so I'm getting a little bit anxious now. I have the Chargepoint app also downloaded and ready to go, should I need a boost until I get the Home Charger fully operational.

Hi all,

I've just ordered my Tesla Model Y (AWD LR) and it won't be here for another 6-10 weeks unless someone drops out and I'm next in the queue here (it could happen?!?!).

Anyhoo - I have a NEMA 14-30 plug in my garage (240V/30A). Looking at the documentation from Tesla, it looks like I should be able to get about 21 miles/hour charging from this. I've seen some posts suggesting I should probably have this changed out to a NEMA 14-50 and have an electrician change out the electrical panel to get the best results. Not sure this is necessary but wanted to hear other's experiences.

I've checked Tesla's shop site and most everything looks to be "sold out". Are there any issues with 3rd party adapters and which ones to get or am I best to wait on Tesla? Still a newbie so sorry if this may have been discussed already.

Thanks

Jerry
Order the 14-30 adapter immediately.

You'll get it soon enough.

Also, if you have access to a Tesla Service Center, visit them first. They often carry a stock of adapters.

Note: We've use 14-30 at home. Gets 21-22 mph, which is plenty. 😁

Reactions: Watts_Up