Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-30 UMC Adapter is Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do I want one? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Tesla pulled them from their inventory a long time ago, so those who needed the adapter were unable to buy one for a very long time. For instance, in my case I have a 6-50 outlet from a previous EVSE (charger) from my old Nissan LEAF, but Tesla has not sold the 6-50 adapter for a few years now. If it gets stocked again on the website, I'd buy it right away. Others may have a 14-30 outlet and would be in a similar position.

I want this adapter for safety and piece of mind.
I will cut off the neutral prong this Tesla adapter so I can use it with my self-build adapters (which have a female 14-50) to connect to 30 amp sources such as RV 30 amp or 30 amp house dryer outlet. This 14-30 Tesla adapter automatically tells the car to only pull 24 Amps (80% of 30 amps).
If you forget to manually change the car to charge at 24 amps and use the 14-50 adapter with your adapters on a 30 amp source, the car will try to pull 40 amps and you'll trip the 30 amp fuse in the best case. In the worst case you will burn down the structure.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I want this adapter for safety and piece of mind.
I will cut off the neutral prong this Tesla adapter so I can use it with my self-build adapters (which have a female 14-50) to connect to 30 amp sources such as RV 30 amp or 30 amp house dryer outlet.
Holy cow! Why didn't this occur to me before? I have a few of those 14-50 adapter cables, and I was thinking that I didn't know if I wanted to cut off and attach new receptacles on them to make them 14-30, but I hadn't even thought of cutting off the pin, so the Tesla 14-30 adapter could just plug in. Thanks for mentioning this.

My daughter's panel doesn't have any spares, so I will need to share her dryer circuit, which is only 30 amps. You don't want to share the range 50 amp circuit because then you won't be able to cook while the car is charging. It's nice to have the 30 amp Tesla adapter because, as has been said above, the car automatically knows it can only draw 24 amps and you don't have to worry about remembering to manually set the amperage in the car like you would if you used something that converted a 30 amp plug to a female 14-50 that would then let you use the 14-50 adapter that came with the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
In anticipation of them disappearing again I ordered some adapters for the UMC. One of them was the 14-30 adapter, but I noticed that the other adapters (5-20, 6-50) are black and the 14-30 I got was gray. I thought the gray ones were the ones being recalled. Is there any way I can tell, perhaps with a serial/part number? I noticed that there is a long number lasered into the UMC side of the adapter. The number there is D17B0001424. I know I could call Tesla to find out but I don't even have an car order yet so it's not critical. I just like to plan ahead.

In anticipation of them disappearing again I ordered some adapters for the UMC. One of them was the 14-30 adapter, but I noticed that the other adapters (5-20, 6-50) are black and the 14-30 I got was gray. I thought the gray ones were the ones being recalled. Is there any way I can tell, perhaps with a serial/part number? I noticed that there is a long number lasered into the UMC side of the adapter. The number there is D17B0001424. I know I could call Tesla to find out but I don't even have an car order yet so it's not critical. I just like to plan ahead.

I'm getting my 14-30 adapter delivered today and will try to remember to post here what color it is.

I thought you couldn't order them unless you had a car.

I thought you couldn't order them unless you had a car.

Apparently not. :D
I bought the three adapters that do not come standard with a UMC so I would have them when I finally do order and get a car. Plus they are so cheap I figured I could always sell them to someone locally if I didn't wind up getting a car. I didn't want to take the chance of Tesla discontinuing an adapter I would need since they already killed off the 10-30 adapter and that's the one I *could* have used at my parents house. There's no way I'd order something like the CHaDeMO adapter unless I had a confirmed car order.

I have signed up for information from Telsa in the past with that same email so maybe that's how it went through, but I haven't created an account at Tesla yet.

Apparently not. :D
I bought the three adapters that do not come standard with a UMC so I would have them when I finally do order and get a car. Plus they are so cheap I figured I could always sell them to someone locally if I didn't wind up getting a car. I didn't want to take the chance of Tesla discontinuing an adapter I would need since they already killed off the 10-30 adapter and that's the one I *could* have used at my parents house. There's no way I'd order something like the CHaDeMO adapter unless I had a confirmed car order.

I have signed up for information from Telsa in the past with that same email so maybe that's how it went through, but I haven't created an account at Tesla yet.
It's relatively easy to make an adapter that will take you from 10-30 to the 14-30 which is available now. Simple buy a 10-30 plug, a 14-30 female, and a length of rated cable. Wire the two connectors to the cable and you can then plug the 10-30 plug into your parents' outlet and the 14-30 Tesla adapter to the 14-30 female on your home-made adapter. You can then plug the Tesla mobile connector into the 14-30 Tesla adapter and your good to go.