Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-30 UMC Adapter is Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still waiting for my replacement - 3 emails and not even the courtesy of a response. Very un-Tesla like poor service :mad:

*** UPDATE *** I did just get an email from TM explaining that my 14-30 was not subject to the recall. See their response:

Hi Steve!

Affected adapters that were part of the recall were purchased several years ago. Your adapter, purchased in October 2016, is not part of the recall and your adapter is perfectly safe to use. Your adapter should have the part number 1018243-00-C associated with it and have a grey face plate as pictured.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Jessie

Online Orders
45500 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538
e [email protected]

*** UPDATE *** I did just get an email from TM explaining that my 14-30 was not subject to the recall. See their response:

Hi Steve!

Affected adapters that were part of the recall were purchased several years ago. Your adapter, purchased in October 2016, is not part of the recall and your adapter is perfectly safe to use. Your adapter should have the part number 1018243-00-C associated with it and have a grey face plate as pictured.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Jessie

Online Orders
45500 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538
e [email protected]
By the way, you have almost the exact twin of the X I'm expecting in a week or two down to the headliner, except I have the towing package, unless you just didn't mention that in your signature. How have the Falco Wing Doors treated you?

By the way, you have almost the exact twin of the X I'm expecting in a week or two down to the headliner, except I have the towing package, unless you just didn't mention that in your signature. How have the Falco Wing Doors treated you?

Did you order a CPO because they are not offering titanium color any more? I did not order the tow package. Other than initial "false sensing" issues, which have been resolved, I haven't had any FWD issues.

Did you order a CPO because they are not offering titanium color any more? I did not order the tow package. Other than initial "false sensing" issues, which have been resolved, I haven't had any FWD issues.

That's great to hear about the your FWD's. That's especially impressive since your's was a fairly early build. Although I suppose a lot of those negative stories are probably overhyped. Mine was an August build that got traded in to Tesla in December. I figured it was one of those cases where they just had to have the AP2, it only has about five thousand miles.

The color was a big factor in ordering a CPO. I have a Titanium Model S now, and I really love the color. When I was considering a new order, I kept vacillating between the red and the dark gray, but just couldn't settle on either one. I also like that the Titanium is not as common a color, you don't see that many of them. When I found a CPO in that color with the interior and options that I wanted, it pushed me over the edge. I also wanted the car sooner than ordering, and saving over $20k didn't hurt either.

But there were some compromises. It doesn't have AP2. There are some Titaniums out there with AP2, but they're pretty much unicorns. I have AP1 now, and I'm happy with it, so I figured I could continue on with that. The other thing is that I was originally looking for a 5-seater and this one is a 6. No Titaniums with 5 seats of course. But I thought about the fact that I have a 5-seater now in the Model S, and I've found that the situations where I would need to fold the seats, I've just used my GMC Yukon that I kept for big trailering. So I figured that I didn't really need the folding seats and I like the openness of the 6-seater with that middle seat gone. We'll see how it turns out in the long run, but I think it will be okay.

I bought this instead Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft. as EV's don't use a neutral pin it works on both a 15-30 as a 15-50 outlet. Nice to have the extra extension as well.

The receptacle end of the extension cord can only receive the Tesla NEMA 14-50 adapter. Is that correct? So if you're using this with a 30-amp power source, you'll need to manually set the charging level in the car to 26 amps, since the Tesla will assume it's a 50-amp source from the adapter being used?

A thing that concerns me is that in order to plug into the Tesla, you will also need to use the Tesla Mobile connector which has 20 ft of cable itself. So you end up charging over a total length of 40 ft of cable with segments that are sized for a 20 foot length. Is this a problem?

Last edited:
The receptacle end of the extension cord can only receive the Tesla NEMA 14-50 adapter. Is that correct? So if you're using this with a 30-amp power source, you'll need to manually set the charging level in the car to 26 amps, since the Tesla will assume it's a 50-amp source from the adapter being used?

A thing that concerns me is that in order to plug into the Tesla, you will also need to use the Tesla Mobile connector which has 20 ft of cable itself. So you end up charging over a total length of 40 ft of cable with segments that are sized for a 20 foot length. Is this a problem?

I had the car for a night and charged with the extension cable and the 14-30 outlet. I turned back the rate in the car to 24A. Everything worked like a charm. Car was charging @22 to 25 km/h (13 to15 m/h). Next day battery was full @90%. No issues at all. I thought the extension might be useful when traveling and you only have a drier outlet in a laundry or something.

That would be 24A, not 26A, but this is a good point. This is why I am liking the suggestion of cutting the unused neutral pin off of the Tesla 14-30 adapter. That is the only shape that prevents if from plugging into a 14-50 receptacle like this extension cord is using. With that modification done, then you can use the correct official 14-30 that will limit the current for you instead of needing to remember to turn down the current level and hope it doesn't accidentally reset.