Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 4 pin to 3 pin adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a 4 pin NEMA 14-50 box in my garage in preparation for receiving delivery of my Y this week. However, as I am looking through the charger kit, it comes with only a 3 pin adapter. Could someone please help guide me on what kind of 4 pin to 3 pin converter I need to buy for this setup to work? I looked on the Tesla site and see a package of 7 adapters, but that feels like an overkill. Thanks in advance!

Either order a 14-50 adapter from Tesla or contact your Service Center and see if they have one in stock to purchase.

Upvote 0
I installed a 4 pin NEMA 14-50 box in my garage in preparation for receiving delivery of my Y this week. However, as I am looking through the charger kit, it comes with only a 3 pin adapter. Could someone please help guide me on what kind of 4 pin to 3 pin converter I need to buy for this setup to work? I looked on the Tesla site and see a package of 7 adapters, but that feels like an overkill. Thanks in advance!

Sorry, no can do... the 3 pin that comes with it is specifically for a 120V 15 amp plug. There is no appropriate conversion for that, and even if you cobbled one together, the UMC would only treat it as an extremely limited power source.

Just buy the single 14-50 adapter from tesla... Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Reactions: Darmie
Upvote 0
Sorry, no can do... the 3 pin that comes with it is specifically for a 120V 15 amp plug. There is no appropriate conversion for that, and even if you cobbled one together, the UMC would only treat it as an extremely limited power source.

Just buy the single 14-50 adapter from tesla... Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
Oh, I see. Thank you for clarifying that. So I can buy a 4 pin NEMA 14-50 adaptor (attached image) and that would simply work with the charger that came with my car, right?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.14.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.14.41 PM.png
    463.8 KB · Views: 1,118
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Oh, I see. Thank you for clarifying that. So I can buy a 4 pin NEMA 14-50 adaptor (attached image) and that would simply work with the charger that came with my car, right?
Correct. The plug adapter is modular and contains a chip that informs the Tesla Mobile Connector of the type of circuit (120V or 240V) and maximum amperage. In this case the maximum amperage when using the Tesla Mobile Connector with the 14-50 power plug adapter is 32 amps.

You won't want to let the Tesla Mobile Connector hang down supported only by the power plug adapter. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit that includes a wall bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis. You can also find similar cable organizer kits on Amazon.

Cable Organizer

Upvote 0
Correct. The plug adapter is modular and contains a chip that informs the Tesla Mobile Connector of the type of circuit (120V or 240V) and maximum amperage. In this case the maximum amperage when using the Tesla Mobile Connector with the 14-50 power plug adapter is 32 amps.

You won't want to let the Tesla Mobile Connector hang down supported only by the power plug adapter. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit that includes a wall bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis. You can also find similar cable organizer kits on Amazon.

Cable Organizer
100% correct, especially the mounting part. Before I used mine I saw so many photos of folks "hanging" the UMC from its cord. Buy the mounting kit.

Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
And if you're like me, start talking with friends and family whom you might visit and ask if they have an electric dryer located near the garage. If so, then ask them to take photos of the outlet and measure roughly how far that outlet is from where you might park a car. Then invest in multiple adapters for those plugs (there are two, an old and newer one both sold by Tesla) and finally the extension cords you'll need if dryers are too far for the UMC cord. Or just bring some spare THHN cable, conduit, breaker and outlet and tell family/friend that you'll be turning off their power and working in their garage and to call 911 if you don't hear from them in while. But did I say how much I love my Tesla...

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Upvote 0
And if you're like me, start talking with friends and family whom you might visit and ask if they have an electric dryer located near the garage. If so, then ask them to take photos of the outlet and measure roughly how far that outlet is from where you might park a car. Then invest in multiple adapters for those plugs (there are two, an old and newer one both sold by Tesla) and finally the extension cords you'll need if dryers are too far for the UMC cord. Or just bring some spare THHN cable, conduit, breaker and outlet and tell family/friend that you'll be turning off their power and working in their garage and to call 911 if you don't hear from them in while. But did I say how much I love my Tesla...
LOL! Thanks.

Upvote 0