Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 above drywall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well have the Nema 14-50 plug that I was just going to come off of it has a 50 amp breaker? Sound Ok?

Yes, and if that is already there even better! 80% useful limit of a 50amp breaker would be 40amps. You need to make sure you set the dial switch to the proper amount/proper limit inside your Tesla wall unit when it’s installed. The M3 has the capability of charging at 42amps max.

Yes, and if that is already there even better! 80% useful limit of a 50amp breaker would be 40amps. You need to make sure you set the dial switch to the proper amount/proper limit inside your Tesla wall unit when it’s installed. The M3 has the capability of charging at 42amps max.

Perfect Thanks for your help! Appreciate it!!

If your panel can handle a 60 amp breaker for the HPWC you can charge the 3 at 48 amps:

Home Charging Installation

Can you point me to the NEC section stating that you can't run sheathed wire in conduit? I don't think you're correct on this.

NM-B aka Romex can be run in conduit with one exception and a few issues.

The exception is the cable has to be rated for the conditions. NM-B is not rated for wet locations so if the conduit runs through a place considered a wet location you can't use NM-B. All underground conduit is considered a wet location and conduit unprotected from weather. There are other jacketed cables that are rated for wet locations and can be used.

The issues

When calculating conduit fill the largest dimension of the cross section is used for the diameter of the cable. Since most NM-B is not round it will require larger conduit than running individual THWN wires.

NM-B is harder to pull through conduit than individual wires.

NM-B has lower current capacity than THWN for most cases and may require a larger wire for the same circuit.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
DAA3F4B7-89EC-4DA6-B363-D7F3596B29FF.jpeg
If your panel can handle a 60 amp breaker for the HPWC you can charge the 3 at 48 amps:

Home Charging Installation

Thanks, I thought the M3 tapped out at 42amps!

View attachment 281182

If you can look at the wire jacket and read what type it is, then the chart above to see the max Amp rating. (THHN #6) has a 75 amp max so you are good with just changing the breaker. You should be good if you won’t exceed you main limit. Most modern homes now have 200 amp main line supply.
Yes newer home and believe I have 200 amp service panel.Thanks again!

NM-B aka Romex can be run in conduit with one exception and a few issues.

The exception is the cable has to be rated for the conditions. NM-B is not rated for wet locations so if the conduit runs through a place considered a wet location you can't use NM-B. All underground conduit is considered a wet location and conduit unprotected from weather. There are other jacketed cables that are rated for wet locations and can be used.

The issues

When calculating conduit fill the largest dimension of the cross section is used for the diameter of the cable. Since most NM-B is not round it will require larger conduit than running individual THWN wires.

NM-B is harder to pull through conduit than individual wires.

NM-B has lower current capacity than THWN for most cases and may require a larger wire for the same circuit.

my understanding, as well.

I was just curious why the other poster said you can't run sheathed wire in conduit. It's not the first time I've heard this repeated, but I've never been able to figure out why people say it.

my understanding, as well.

I was just curious why the other poster said you can't run sheathed wire in conduit. It's not the first time I've heard this repeated, but I've never been able to figure out why people say it.

Not positive but the issue is heat I believe. The sheathed wires are tightly bundled. Enclosing in conduit prevents adequate cooling.
I used Teck90 armour cable. Good exposed, buried, wet and dry locations. Not cheap but easy.

Not positive but the issue is heat I believe. The sheathed wires are tightly bundled. Enclosing in conduit prevents adequate cooling.
I used Teck90 armour cable. Good exposed, buried, wet and dry locations. Not cheap but easy.

Nope the only thing prohibiting NM-B from being run in conduit is if the conduit goes through a location the cable is not rated for such as wet locations. NM-B is restricted to 60ºC temp rating which reduces the current capacity some compared to THWN but that applies to if it is conduit or not. This is looking at the NEC, local codes may have additional rules that do prohibit it. I have no clue about other countries electric code.

Use 1 inch electrical PVC conduit. Pulling #3 wire is difficult so think about putting it together with the wire installed and then attaching it via clamps to the studs in the wall. Basically assembly it by sliding each piece of PVC over the wire and glueing it in place.
Just saw this - NEC requires assembling the conduit first, then pulling the wire. You can't assemble the conduit over the wire like this. I think one of the reasons is you could spill glue on the wire and damage the insulation.
If you can look at the wire jacket and read what type it is, then the chart above to see the max Amp rating. (THHN #6) has a 75 amp max so you are good with just changing the breaker. You should be good if you won’t exceed you main limit. Most modern homes now have 200 amp main line supply.
You're limited by the temp rating of not only the wire, but also the terminals and potentially equipment it connects to (like circuit breakers). You can swap to a 60A breaker that has 75C degree terminals, but a 70A breaker is likely a no-no - AFAIK, there are no residential breakers rated for 90C.

You could connect a short stub of 4ga wire to the 6ga (using 90C connectors) then connect the 4ga to a 70A breaker with 75C terminals, but you can't connect the 6ga directly to the 75C 70A breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: davewill