Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 above drywall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I have a finished garage, and need to put in another NEMA 14/50
I installed the one for my car, but that was a whopping 2' from the breaker. So.. rather easy.

I know I need 6/3, and I've wired whole houses before. Problem is I wire before drywall. I've never done after work.
I don't want to to cut the drywall, remove insulation, drill, run, etc. etc. Not going to happen. The outlet and breaker on opposite endsof a 2 car garage. As far apart as you can get.

Anyway, can I think I can run normal 6/3 above drywall, and use some surface wiring channel material. Some of the run will be in an attic space, some will be above the drywall. It's along the wall, above the garage door, so it won't be touched/contacted by anything, and it's high and dry. I think the metal covered 6/3 would be overkill and $$

thoughts? the 3 only pulls 32 amps as well, so heat shouldn't be an issue.. But I'll run based on a 50 amp load as that's what the plug is.

The electrician who installed the 14-50 outlet in our garage ran the wire through some electrical/gray PVC and attached the outlet box directly to the drywall. It was a straight run, so there were no corners to deal with, but you could do those with the wide corner pieces rather than a typical 90-degree PVC corner piece.

Use 1 inch electrical PVC conduit. Pulling #3 wire is difficult so think about putting it together with the wire installed and then attaching it via clamps to the studs in the wall. Basically assembly it by sliding each piece of PVC over the wire and glueing it in place.

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
My 14-50 install. I have a finished garage.
1. From outside of left side of garage (facing).
2. To just inside of garage.
3. Run along the bottom to the front of the garage on inside of outside wall.
4. Up to the ceiling of garage and then over the single car garage door to the center of the garage.
5. Down a Large Stud down the middle of the two garage doors.
6. Surface mount on the Large Stud.
7. Cost $1200. Higher then others on this forum but got higher bids here in CA.

are you pulling 4 wires though the PVC or is it the usual wire? I think the specific type of wire is my biggest question.
Pull individual wires. Do not use Romex. Here was my cost/ft:
upload_2018-2-5_12-43-15.png

Reactions: ℬête Noire
You can't run sheathed wire (romex) in a conduit. You need individual wires THHN to meet code. The plastic sheath acts as thermal insulation when it is inside conduit and the wire can't dissipate heat as fast so it can't operate at normal amp load. If you do stuff without a permit at least buy it from an electric supply shop, not a big box where the sales clerks really usually don't know code or what questions to ask. They will sell anything you pick up like aluminum wire and not ask if you have no-corrode paste for the connection or are the connectors rated AL/CU? (don't use aluminum) 50 amps is not like putting in a 15 amp outlet.

Three problems when doing stuff without a permit 1. House burns down and insurer finds out work was not inspected and approved, now you have a mortgage on a pile of ash. 2. When you sell most states have a form that you state whether all work was permitted and inspected. If you say no, banks won't lend. If you say yes you are liable for any problem caused by your wiring years later. 3' Owner's home inspector spots it and then you have to hire an electrician to fix it.

Bottom line, if you are doing it yourself, get a book, explain to a guy at an electrical supply house what you want to do and pull a permit and get it inspected. I had stuff I did 20 years ago recently permitted and inspected before I sold my house because I did not want the ongoing liability.

that's what I thought, you can't run Romex in conduit, however, since it's inside.. do you actually need conduit at all? I have a friend who owns a construction company helping, just trying to do some research. All work is up to code and permitted. Just trying to plan things out.

Last edited:
Seems like a hassle. I could just use metal jacketed wire for the whole run as well, correct?

As for shady wiring, there is a wiring junction in my attic, with no box around it. I plan to fix that left over from the previous homeowner when I'm up there to install this wiring... good times.

Seems like a hassle. I could just use metal jacketed wire for the whole run as well, correct?

As for shady wiring, there is a wiring junction in my attic, with no box around it. I plan to fix that left over from the previous homeowner when I'm up there to install this wiring... good times.

I surface ran 75’ of Teck90 6/3 from the basement panel to a surface mount 14-50 with permits and inspection. Its plastic, metal, plastic, 6/3. It’s not that expensive and totally legal to surface run. Check the price. Conduit is a pain to install compared with this:

9B8A4360-0CF8-4BF9-86F9-AF9F3E9D42AD.jpeg 0AF1C750-0BF6-4D5B-BAC5-22C2A4264817.jpeg 01A648BB-9B1D-4C74-8379-AF725323AF31.jpeg E2C1AEF0-7E7E-4C10-A0AB-051D6E8772FB.jpeg F46EBA13-D579-4126-8D22-DDFDDEB1FAA4.jpeg 1B5C315D-0938-43C7-BB73-C2B3904EAEF6.jpeg

Last edited:
Conduit (usually EMT) and THHN is generally the way to go. Easy and inexpensive.

Metal-jacketed wires (MC or AC) is questionable depending on your AHJ. The NEC states it can't be used where it would be "exposed to physical damage". One could interpret that to mean it can't be used surface mounted on a wall. If you want to use that, call your permitting office and inquire.

Very nice, looks like a garden hose. I like it! thanks! This is very similar to how I need to run mine.

I'm thinking this will work just fine. I'll even use similar clips.

Holy pricetag!

https://www.amazon.com/125ft-AWG-TECK-Armored-Cable/dp/B00F5FYX2G

That’s a crazy price. I could have run this myself but I paid the electrical contractor $750 for permit, inspection, 25 meters of Teck90 6/3, installation, Nema 14-50/box and both a 40 and 60 amp breaker. You can run Teck90 surface, attic, buried, wet or dry at least where I am and their strict here. A lot of people do it without a permit/inspection. I did it for my insurance company. Their happy and I’m covered.

I surface ran 75’ of Teck90 6/3 from the basement panel to a surface mount 14-50 with permits and inspection. Its plastic, metal, plastic, 6/3. It’s not that expensive and totally legal to surface run. Check the price. Conduit is a pain to install compared with this:

View attachment 278275 View attachment 278269 View attachment 278273 View attachment 278272 View attachment 278271 View attachment 278270
Wow! Thats exactly what I was looking at doing...same set up as yours! Looks Great but wondering if that would be up to code here in So.Ca. I hear you Canadians get away with a lot of shady stuff!! LOL!! Like your floors as well just did mine:D

Reactions: 03DSG