Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter no longer included with vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel the same like you just got the car a month ago and with 800 miles today I charge at home 4m/hour anxiety cant get proper charging, that cable adapter is out of stock and no help from Tesla so I am too totally in regret I bought this car

Just check the parts for sale forums on this site for any charging kit you need. I have had no issue getting anything I have wanted on here. It is always less than Tesla and usually less than ebay.

If nothing else, pick up a Gen 1 wall connector and enjoy 40 amps of charge rate instead of only 32.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
Had the charging cord stop working. Model S, 2017. Mobile service brought the last one at the SC. Tesla phone service told me they were out of them nationwide. Only problem is that there is now a "universal" charging cord that fits all models of Tesla. Before I could charge in my garage at 29MPH. New universal one charges at 23 mph and is of lower amps. At least it was covered under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Does anyone know if the wall connector is repairable? Mine starting showing intermittent faults and then failed completely with a solid red light. A ranger was at the house replacing the parking brake and I asked him to take a look. He said it was probably a failure in the electronics (the main board?) and I needed a new one. For expediency, I had a 14-50 installed and have been using my mobile connector.

I haven’t tossed the defective unit because I have a 24 ft cord and it seems such a huge waste. I keep dreaming that someone can diagnose and fix the problem so I don’t have to shell out another $500, even if I could find one.

Thanks!

Start with Rich. He had a failure and repaired it, may not be your failure, but simple enough if it is. The cord is certainly worth money, possibly to Quick Charge Power. Possibly to anyone who got a short cable HPWC but wants the long cable. It might even be worth it for me to buy if you don't have another home for it and the price is right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Science fan
Also it looks like you need 200 amps I only got 100 and it's an extra 4k to upgrade the board sigh I wish I never got this car
It's often not that cut and dried. In most cases SOME kind of 240v circuit can be added to a 100a panel. Talk with your electrician about a lower amperage circuit. Even a modest 240v 20a circuit (6-20 outlet) may be adequate for your daily driving needs. It delivers nearly triple the effective charging rate of a 120v circuit.

Last edited: