Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 adapter no longer included with vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure I saw anyone above make this point about the Wall Connector (WC) vs. a suitable outlet: Wall Connectors can fail. If they are hard-wired, you are stuck being unable to charge at home unless you have a suitable outlet and the appropriate adapter. It can be costly to disconnect and ship the WC back to Tesla. If it is in warranty and Tesla agrees to send out a technician, you may have to wait.

In my own case, when my WC failed, Tesla did send out an electrician, who tested it and replaced it. But I had to wait about 2 weeks for the appointment. In the meantime, i had to charge elsewhere, mainly at a nearby Supercharger.

After this experience, I posted that people who install WCs at home should consider wiring in a 240-volt outlet as well, as a contingency.

So you pull out your UMC while getting it repaired. UMC's can fail too why are WC's exclusive to failing?

Adding a spare outlet isn't a bad idea, assuming it still meets code and includes GFCI. Sure, why not.

Not sure I saw anyone above make this point about the Wall Connector (WC) vs. a suitable outlet: Wall Connectors can fail. If they are hard-wired, you are stuck being unable to charge at home unless you have a suitable outlet and the appropriate adapter. It can be costly to disconnect and ship the WC back to Tesla. If it is in warranty and Tesla agrees to send out a technician, you may have to wait.

Very good point. Never thought of that, but makes perfect sense. I have been charging at home with my UMC for 5 years. I mainly never saw a reason to spend the extra money on a WC when the UMC could do the same job just fine. Installing a 14-50 was $50 and one hour of work for myself.

So you pull out your UMC while getting it repaired. UMC's can fail too why are WC's exclusive to failing?

Adding a spare outlet isn't a bad idea, assuming it still meets code and includes GFCI. Sure, why not.
If your wall charger fails where are you plugging in your UMC, you yourself said they need to be hardwired and 14-50s are dumb. If my UMC fails on my 14-50 I take it to tesla and get a new one they have in stock the same day and continue about my life.

I've yet to have a single Nuance trip with a boat load of AFCI I have. And the AFCI actually found one real problem.

That is good feedback, thanks. I am about to build a new house and I am wondering how much of an issue that might be.

The Internet is full of page after page after page of complaints about AFCI's and I have had friends that have had issues.

To be fair though, I am not sure how I would know the difference between a nuisance trip with AFCI and a real dangerous arcing condition. Can you explain how you troubleshot the one real problem you had?

• Love
Reactions: neroden
So confusing ! What happened to Tesla's plug in wall charger that was introduced in January 2019? I checked it out in late January and it was out of stock, now the link is a 404 not found!
Screenshot_20190424-105334_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-105318_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190424-105425_Chrome.jpg

That is good feedback, thanks. I am about to build a new house and I am wondering how much of an issue that might be.

The Internet is full of page after page after page of complaints about AFCI's and I have had friends that have had issues.

To be fair though, I am not sure how I would know the difference between a nuisance trip with AFCI and a real dangerous arcing condition. Can you explain how you troubleshot the one real problem you had?

One case it found was a hanging pendent light fixture. As soon as I put the breaker in, it immediately kept tripping. Removed bulbs and everything. I immediately took the light fixture down and tossed it. The light was "working" fine. But the AFCI was detecting a fault, wasn't worth messing with. I tried another breaker too. I have the AFCI's on circuits that are known be prone to issues, but I was curious and used them any way. Things like a fridges, furnace etc. might false trip. But I never had an issue so I left them. I never had one trip since (3 years now?). I also like them that they retain the reason why they tripped (Load or Fault).

Reactions: eprosenx

Not everybody can easily add _two_ 240V circuits.

Since I'd be buying a car with only 32A AC charging, my plan was:
- have a 40A socket installed
- buy an extra UMC
- leave that UMC with the 14-50 adapter plugged in permanently
- keep the other UMC in the car.

That way, it'd only be $300 extra, and, whichever EVSE failed, I be able to use the other.

I can appreciate that many people would not use the 14-50 adapter so it saves Tesla money, and allows them effectively to raise the price by not passing on the savings, and push people towards making their primary charging the more expensive wall connector and corded mobile connector.

If your wall charger fails where are you plugging in your UMC, you yourself said they need to be hardwired and 14-50s are dumb. If my UMC fails on my 14-50 I take it to tesla and get a new one they have in stock the same day and continue about my life.

120V will get you by. That's what I did for the first couple weeks. What's the big deal.

You should always have a UMC. What's your point?

So your argument is, folks should not install Wall Connectors because they can fail and take 2 weeks to replace.
That's a perfectly sound argument.

Yes, for the vast majority of users Wall Connectors are a much safer solution and apparently Tesla agrees with me, not you.

Has anyone tested if the Tesla 14-50 adapter tests the neutral with a traditional ground test like the normal ground? If not or if it is not connected as it is not used internally on an EVSE I want to cut mine off that way I can use it on both a 14-50 and a 14-30.

The neutral is NOT used at all. You can cut that pin off and it will work. (now that creates a situation where you can pull more current on a 14-30 than you should - so naturally ). The EVSE Adapters extension cord for instance just plain old omits that wire in the cable.

I should note that the UMC *does* test the neutral in one specific case. That is if you use a 10-30 adapter. That has no ground, and so Tesla treats the neutral as a ground and will test it as such. But this does not impact the answer to your question.

So confusing ! What happened to Tesla's plug in wall charger that was introduced in January 2019? I checked it out in late January and it was out of stock, now the link is a 404 not found! View attachment 400324 View attachment 400324 View attachment 400327 View attachment 400330 View attachment 400324

I literally just posted this quote I got back from Tesla Charging support just a few minutes ago:

"It was a short term offering, but we are looking into bringing it back."

You are SOL right now, but maybe some time in the future they will bring it back... :-(

• Love
Reactions: holaev19