Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting my model 3 next week (hopefully) and want to plan for mobile trips. With Tesla taking the 14-50 adapter out of standard equipment, and the part is not in stock online, can we perdict that they either dont want you to use this option anymore or are discontinuing it? Anyone have any luck with third party adapters? I found this online for 15$ more then the OEM one, anyone try this? https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-JR-Adaptor-P-NEMA-14-50-Tesla-ADPTR-P.htm

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
Getting my model 3 next week (hopefully) and want to plan for mobile trips. With Tesla taking the 14-50 adapter out of standard equipment, and the part is not in stock online, can we perdict that they either dont want you to use this option anymore or are discontinuing it? Anyone have any luck with third party adapters? I found this online for 15$ more then the OEM one, anyone try this? https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-JR-Adaptor-P-NEMA-14-50-Tesla-ADPTR-P.htm
I'm pretty sure @TonyWilliams just buys those from Tesla and resells them. I wouldn't worry about their quality, if that was your concern; it'll just have a reasonable markup. Give them a call if you're curious.

Getting my model 3 next week (hopefully) and want to plan for mobile trips. With Tesla taking the 14-50 adapter out of standard equipment, and the part is not in stock online, can we perdict that they either dont want you to use this option anymore or are discontinuing it?
Neither. They will be back in stock. Adapters go in and out of stock all the time. But you’re very unlikely to use a 14-50 adapter on a trip anyway unless you’re going to a campground. Virtually all use of 14-50 is by people who have that outlet installed in their garage for home charging.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and jlv1

I can't speak to third-party adapters; however, it appears that Tesla parts are in a chronic state of under-supply -- they go out of stock, come back in, and then go back out of stock again. I'd just place the order and expect to wait anywhere from a week to a month or two to get it.

In terms of road trips, you probably won't need a NEMA 14-50. The NEMA 5-15 (standard 120v) plug that's still included is more likely to be useful; however, the charge rate from that will be quite slow -- you'd probably only get 50-60 miles of range off of one of those during an overnight stop, for instance. You might want to check out PlugShare. (There are also apps for both iOS and Android.) That site shows a wide variety of EV charging plugs, and you can filter based on what you can use. Tell it to show you J1772, Tesla Destination chargers, and Tesla Superchargers. You can either do this before you leave and plan stops on a multi-day trip in advance; or refer to it on your phone when you start getting close to a good overnight stop. Many, but almost certainly not a majority of, hotels and motels have Level 2 chargers available, so there's a good chance you'll be able to get a full charge, or at least close to it, when stopping overnight. If you're going to visit family or friends, you may be able to do a Level 1 charge at their house; and/or supplement that with Level 2 or Supercharging nearby.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just call you DA and ask if they have them...some people have still been getting them in their car so you could even ask for them to check.

My delivery is going to be 1st week of June...just planning to ask them to check when the VIN is assigned.

FWIW I've been looking at the adapter for the last few weeks and it goes in and out of stock. I'd order one but afraid my car will come with it and I'll be out $35

Buy a 6-50 adapter just in case you're on the road. Install a 14-50 at home. Most current EVs use that plug.

Is there any other EV besides Tesla that comes with a 14-50? Tesla did it 10 years ago so people could use RV park plugs, but that’s mostly obsolete these days. 6-50 is generally better because it doesn’t require a useless-to-the-car neutral wire (3-wire vs 4-wire).

Is there any other EV besides Tesla that comes with a 14-50? Tesla did it 10 years ago so people could use RV park plugs, but that’s mostly obsolete these days. 6-50 is generally better because it doesn’t require a useless-to-the-car neutral wire (3-wire vs 4-wire).

Yes, there are. Having the neutral gives you other options later on. You could split it into two 120V lines assuming you change you the breaker. Maybe in another decade, the 6-50 may become the new normal, but it's not now.

Yes, there are. Having the neutral gives you other options later on. You could split it into two 120V lines assuming you change you the breaker. Maybe in another decade, the 6-50 may become the new normal, but it's not now.

What would be the point of converting a 240V circuit to two 120V circuits? For EV charging, the neutral isn't needed and won't be needed. If you also plan to connect an RV then NEMA 14-50 makes sense, otherwise NEMA 6-50 will give you the same charging rate at lower installation cost.

What would be the point of converting a 240V circuit to two 120V circuits? For EV charging, the neutral isn't needed and won't be needed. If you also plan to connect an RV then NEMA 14-50 makes sense, otherwise NEMA 6-50 will give you the same charging rate at lower installation cost.
Unless you have an absurdly long run the difference in installation cost would be trivial.

Who said anything about EV charging? The future of EV charging may allow for even greater current or even direct DC from solar panels or PowerWall. That 240V EV connection you install in 2019 may be obsolete in a decade. Repurposing a 240V line for 120V is impossible without the neutral wire.