Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking since January to get the 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector ahead of time but it has been out-of-stock all the time. I start getting worry what can I do if it is still unavailable by the time my car is here. I tried calling the local service center but no one picked up the phone. I have left an email according to their pre-recorded message and awaiting for their reply. Anyone in the Vancouver area knows if it is easy to buy one from service center? I have heard that the Powell delivery place doesn't stock those.

I was thinking since January to get the 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector ahead of time but it has been out-of-stock all the time. I start getting worry what can I do if it is still unavailable by the time my car is here. I tried calling the local service center but no one picked up the phone. I have left an email according to their pre-recorded message and awaiting for their reply. Anyone in the Vancouver area knows if it is easy to buy one from service center? I have heard that the Powell delivery place doesn't stock those.
I’m not in Vancouver but in Toronto I just called a SC and picked one up the next day, easy peasy

The stores actually tend to carry them while the website remains out of stock
Not in Calgary. If you bring in any item you order the online store, they can't help you. I had a problem with my keyfob and they straight up told me they don't carry any stock of the items on the website for sale - they only carry items for for replacement for the stuff that comes with the car and you can't buy it (e.g. - they may have a NEMA 14-50 in stock as a swap out, but not for sale).

I am very frustrated that this essential piece of accessory could be out-of-stock for that long from the official online store. Without this the car is pretty much non-functional for anyone who relies on home charging (assuming no wall connector). How difficult is it for Tesla to make enough of this adapter??

Not in Calgary. If you bring in any item you order the online store, they can't help you. I had a problem with my keyfob and they straight up told me they don't carry any stock of the items on the website for sale - they only carry items for for replacement for the stuff that comes with the car and you can't buy it (e.g. - they may have a NEMA 14-50 in stock as a swap out, but not for sale).
That’s super lame, especially since that adapter used to come with the car!

You can order the 6-50, which is in stock. ... And get the corresponding plug for the outlet, if you haven't installed it already.
6-50 will give you the same 32A as the 14-50 and is in stock.
That's what I've ordered along with the outlet from Amazon.

Unfortunately I already had the 14-50 outlet installed as I never expected the adapter would be out-of-stock for this long..

You can order the 6-50, which is in stock. ... And get the corresponding plug for the outlet, if you haven't installed it already.
6-50 will give you the same 32A as the 14-50 and is in stock.
That's what I've ordered along with the outlet from Amazon.

this essential piece of accessory could be out-of-stock for that long from the official online store.... How difficult is it for Tesla to make enough of this adapter??

Some options
- Check your local service center, I was able to pick up my 10-30 adapter at a service center but it was sold out online
- You might be able to get away with charging with 110 adapter that comes with the car for a little while?
- Get 14-50 adapter on eBay, but they are like 3x the original cost.
- Wait, good chance they are back in stock soon

I think this is normal for them to be out for longish periods, but it is possible these are made in China and delayed due to corona virus?