Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 & Cable Organizer Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!

M3 on order... now trying to get the garage set up for charging.

I have some electricians scheduled for quotes later this week, but want to decide where in my garage to get the outlet installed.

I have 2 possible locations. One is the ideal spot for charging and an easier install, but it's between 2 garage doors so it's only a 16" width spot between studs, <20" between garage door tracks. The other spot is much wider, less convenient for charging, but much harder to access for installation.

So 2 questions:

1) Based on experience, what is the minimum possible width of a 14-50 outlet install, cable organizer, and with the travel cable naturally wrapped on the organizer? Is my preferred spot going to be wide enough if I centrally locate the organizer in the space?

2) Can some folks post photos of their setups?

Thanks!
Hey all!

M3 on order... now trying to get the garage set up for charging.

I have some electricians scheduled for quotes later this week, but want to decide where in my garage to get the outlet installed.

I have 2 possible locations. One is the ideal spot for charging and an easier install, but it's between 2 garage doors so it's only a 16" width spot between studs, <20" between garage door tracks. The other spot is much wider, less convenient for charging, but much harder to access for installation.

So 2 questions:

1) Based on experience, what is the minimum possible width of a 14-50 outlet install, cable organizer, and with the travel cable naturally wrapped on the organizer? Is my preferred spot going to be wide enough if I centrally locate the organizer in the space?

2) Can some folks post photos of their setups?

Thanks!
Check w/ your electric utility for potential rebate. In CA I got $800 from PG&E for putting in the Tesla Home Charger. PG&E EV Savings Calculator

NEMA 14-50 install had quotes all over the place for me. First guy wanted $500. Second one wanted $300. Third company wanted $215.

I went with the third company (they are all licenced and do the same exact install). Def shop around. And make sure they install it with the ground plug up.

Reactions: Moze1021
Check w/ your electric utility for potential rebate. In CA I got $800 from PG&E for putting in the Tesla Home Charger. PG&E EV Savings Calculator
Can’t get JackSh@t here in Mississippi for going green.

In fact, they are now CHARGING us an extra $150 fee every year when we register or renew our car tags!! They say because gas vehicles pay a tax at the gas pumps that go towards road improvements, and electric cars use those same roads and aren’t paying their fair share...

What a load of sh@t...

(Sorry for the language, but it pisses me off that my state keeps taking steps backwards in time)

Reactions: hcdavis3
I'm in Ontario and the quotes to get an NEMA 14-50 installed with a 40 amp breaker and charging at 32 amps is around CAD$900-1000 with permit. How are you guys getting such cheap installs? Is the quote high because I'm buying a Tesla and not a Leaf? I have a 100 amp panel in my house and the quote to upgrade that to 200 amps is CAD$1900!

Thanks!

Unfortunately only $50 from PECO in Pennsylvania

Got first quote from an electrician today...$1K to install the outlet.

Need to get a couple more quotes but starting to lean back towards doing it myself with a buddy.

Depending on your finances and how you file Federal taxes think there is still a break on EV charging install, etc. Two years ago it included the EVSE, installation fees, permit too I think up to a certain amount. Does Pennsylvania have any State EV rebate programs?

Can’t get JackSh@t here in Mississippi for going green.

In fact, they are now CHARGING us an extra $150 fee every year when we register or renew our car tags!! They say because gas vehicles pay a tax at the gas pumps that go towards road improvements, and electric cars use those same roads and aren’t paying their fair share...

What a load of sh@t...

(Sorry for the language, but it pisses me off that my state keeps taking steps backwards in time)

California is better in regards to EV rebates but we get charged at registration renewal time for our EVs for road use. Honestly every car or truck that uses the roadways puts weight on the road surface (Teslas are pretty heavy cars too) and road repair money has to come from somewhere. Don’t think they could collect from your electrical provider like they can from gas stations at the pump. There was talk about charging per EV mile driven but hard to track, verify and collect so it’s done through registration fees. I certainly want to drive on better maintained roads with fewer potholes, flat tires and pothole stones getting thrown up in your windshield.

Depending on your finances and how you file Federal taxes think there is still a break on EV charging install, etc. Two years ago it included the EVSE, installation fees, permit too I think up to a certain amount. Does Pennsylvania have any State EV rebate programs?

Yup..through at least June we can get $1750 rebate on EV purchases below $60K. (They reevaluate the program every 6 months.)

But nothing for charging station installation.

75790E32-8360-4DC2-954F-9DA902D04B1F.jpeg

Here is my setup. I park the Tesla on the opposite side of where the breaker box is so have to string up the cable over my wife’s car.

Reactions: DR61
Tesla cable organizer might help OP
Cable Organizer
Yup thanks! It's actually what I was asking about in the first post: how wide natural cable wrap is when put on the organizer.

If anyone is wondering...I ordered the organizer earlier this week and despite it saying 4 weeks to fulfill, it seemed to ship the next day. But, I don't have any shipment tracking info so not sure how long it will really take.

Just to be clear the charging installation was a credit on your IRS return not State related. Don't recall the IRS Form number you needed to fill out as we didn't qualify.
Gotcha! Understood now.

I looked today and saw where it can be entered in TurboTax. Don't think I'm eligible either because it wasn't giving me anything when I was testing a high cost install. Didn't dog much further since it's a concern for next year, but now I'll be on the lookout. Thanks!

Reactions: SMAlset
Gotcha! Understood now.

I looked today and saw where it can be entered in TurboTax. Don't think I'm eligible either because it wasn't giving me anything when I was testing a high cost install. Didn't dog much further since it's a concern for next year, but now I'll be on the lookout. Thanks!
Credit for charging installation phases out (pardon the pun) at higher income. EV credit is not dependent on income.

An upper percent problem.

Reactions: Mdoss