Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 charge speed much lower than expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I know what’s wrong. It’s come up a few times.

The Tesla Wall Connectors are designed for residential 240V split phase. Even though neither the UMC nor Wall Connector require Neutral they both test to see 120V is present between hot and ground (or neutral).

This sounds like a commercial building with 3 phase which won’t get 120V to ground and has no neutral.

There are adapters you can get I think. But not cheap to my understanding.

Technically you don’t have a 14-50 outlet. Because you have no Neutral.

208v and 240v are wired identically. The only difference is that 240 has two hots 180 degrees out of phase and 208 has 2 hots 120 degrees out of phase. Both are ~120v L-N/G

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx
Is your NEMA 14-50 adapter completely plugged in? Mine wasn’t and I got a lower charge rate.

The picture in the thread clearly shows the car is charging just fine at 207v/32a.

I think the AC/accessories being on is the best explanation. OP should see what the app reports while charging when the car is off and locked.

Turn your HVAC off to see the maximum rate. You can then turn it back on. When you exit the car the HVAC will turn off. Watching the voltage just before the charge starts to ramp up at 2 amps or so and comparing it to the voltage at 32 amps is a good test of the system. I get about a 3-4 v drop but about 1-2 v is at the master 150 a breaker. My 14-50 box was getting too warm so I opened it up and re-tightened the terminal screws ( with power off ). Now it's cool again.

Reactions: eprosenx
This is normal for “0 miles added”. Your charging rate display of miles/hr will ramp up after a few minutes. Look at it again later.

Actually folks are right. Mine drops like 5 mph with HVAC and his 207 volts will lose another 4 mph. Waiting won’t help.

I know a few folks had issues with wall connectors and 3 phase. But I forget the details. But that does not sound like the case here.