Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 charging rate issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I just finished installed the NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage. I did follow the instructions from various sources here to have the 60amp breaker installed
No. People here would not recommend that.
Actually upon researching this with the electrician and based on others with Tesla's that currently have this setup. If the wiring can support 60 amps, then install a 60 amp breaker. Even if you connect a 50-amp outlet to the wiring (like a NEMA 14-50), then anything you plug into it has been designed to pull no more than 50 amps, so you won't overheat the wiring, outlet or the equipment.
No. That is an illegal installation. It is a code violation. Full stop. Electric code is absolutely iron-clad clear, where it says the overcurrent protection device must be no higher than the rating of the receptacle.
You can pre-install wire that is rated for a 60 amp circuit
This may have been the thing that you had heard that is correct and may have mixed you up about the 50 or 60 issue. It is certainly allowed to use oversized wire if you want to in preparation for some change later.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe