Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I 'learned' that a Hubble 14-50 should use #6 wire, be connected to a 50A breaker and is rated for 40A continuous load. I 'learned' that a Leviton 14-50 should use #6 wire, be connected to a 50A breaker and is rated for 40A continuous load. One does cost a bit more ;)
Use Hubbell, much better product! 50 amp service requires #6 wire, period! Anything less is fire hazard and code violation!

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
FWIW, getting my 14-50 installed Monday morning. I got a couple quotes.
Option 1 was would be installed In the garage, straight through wall and as close to the outdoor panel as possible, $500.
Option 2 was run to the ideal space across our garage and that was $915.
the electrical panel has plenty of space.
other quote was just over 1K for option 2 only. And yes, while I did not offer the info, they both asked what type of EV this was for an I was honest.
Now, I just need my car to go with my electrical outlet and Tesla accessories 😂

Just got a quote for $800 which includes paperwork for city permit process (paper work only and I need to submit myself and pay additional for permit process to city). Our city requires to have electrician be present when inspector shows up. So the cost includes for second visit appointment. The outlet would be installed in the garage straight thru the panel behind the outdoor panel and inside garage.

Hi there, thought I would hijack this thread.

I recently put in an order for a new Tesla with an expected delivery date a couple months out so I'm starting to prepare.

In my garage I have a blank outlet cover that is labeled 220 volts. When I remove the cover I see the standard black and white copper wire along with groundwire. The question is;

Can I just install a new nema outlet using these existing wires with the understanding that they are rated for 220 volts?

I'm pretty handy and I've done small electrical jobs around the house so I'm not intimidated by installing a new outlet however if 220 volts is not adequate for a NEMA outlet then I will look to an electrician to do a new install.

Any advice recommendations greatly appreciated.

Can I just install a new nema outlet using these existing wires with the understanding that they are rated for 220 volts?
Yes. The wire thickness will be related to what current it is allowed to support, but the same wires will always be capable of either 120 or 240V circuits--that won't make any difference.

If you can list how many wires of what type they are, and read the fine print on the outside of the insulation to tell what gauge (thickness) the wire is, then we can tell what type of outlet could be installed on those wires. That is pretty handy that they are already there, because running the wire is the labor intensive part, but attaching things onto the ends is easy.

Below are some snaps.

Unfortunately I couldn't see any writing on the individual wire insulation. I'm assuming if I really get in there and pull the red insulation that houses all the wires it might give me something. When I get the kids tucked away I will do that and upload any additional information.

It's great to hear however that I might already be most of the way there with a plug install though. :)

20210914_172546.jpg
20210914_172628.jpg
20210914_172650.jpg

Below are some snaps.

Unfortunately I couldn't see any writing on the individual wire insulation. I'm assuming if I really get in there and pull the red insulation that houses all the wires it might give me something. When I get the kids tucked away I will do that and upload any additional information.

It's great to hear however that I might already be most of the way there with a plug install though. :)
OK, well, I've got one answer. There is no neutral wire--just the two hot ones and ground, so this would need to be a 6-XX series of outlet instead of a 14-XX type, which has to have the neutral wire. (No difference in charging speed, so no issue there)

But that's irritating you can't see the wire gauge. I see that it comes into the box in the back in that red outer sheath. I would bet it's printed on the outside of that, instead of on these individual wires that are in it. I don't know if there is enough slack to pull that down some to read it there or not. Maybe you can find where that goes into your main panel and read it there, or see what kind of breaker it's connected to? Also, if you could safely turn off the breaker for it to measure the wire diameter closely and exactly, that could tell.

Just from my visual guess, I think that looks like about 8 gauge, but I would not want to make a specific decision just from my guess.

650, 50

But there are other costs than materials.
But if I’m already paying $1k to install a wall connector, how much extra would you charge for the outlet? I’m trying to see if I am getting fair quotes or being overcharged because it’s a Tesla.

One electrician told me $660 for a 30A connection but when I told him I wanted 60A for a Tesla, he increased the price to $830CAD.

But if I’m already paying $1k to install a wall connector, how much extra would you charge for the outlet? I’m trying to see if I am getting fair quotes or being overcharged because it’s a Tesla.

One electrician told me $660 for a 30A connection but when I told him I wanted 60A for a Tesla, he increased the price to $830CAD.
Well, I’m not a hundred percent sure what you are asking, but on the 30 amps for 660 and the 830 for 60 amps that sounds reasonable.

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs
Well, I’m not a hundred percent sure what you are asking, but on the 30 amps for 660 and the 830 for 60 amps that sounds reasonable.
I got another quote for $800 where the cable won't be visible at all. It says they will use 6AWG 300V cable.
They also sent me another quote where the cable would be visible and they would use 6AWG 600V armored cable. Would there be any downside if I go with the in-wall 300V?