Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Gen 2 adapter - near Newton, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a NEMA 14-50 Gen 2 adapter when picking up my car last month so I could charge when visiting my parent's house. Unfortunately they have a 14-30 outlet.

So I'm looking to sell my opened but unused 14-50 for $40. Would prefer local sale in the Newton/Boston area.

I've heard that if you cut the bottom leg off (opposite the round one), you'll be able to use the adapter in both a 14-50 and a 14-30 socket. You would need to slow the charge rate in the car to 24 amps max (80% of a 30 amp connection) rather than 40 amps max (80% of a 50 amp connection).

That's what I've heard anyway. :)

If you search on the forums, there's lots of old timers who used to do this when finding chargers was much harder.

The bottom leg is a neutral line, which your charger doesn't use. You'll want to use the 14-50 because the resistor inside is able to use the full speed of a 50 amp connection if you're able to use that, but you WILL need to manually slow down charging on the car if you're only in a 30 amp outlet. If you get a 30 amp, and cut off the extra leg (It's L shaped on a 30 amp connector) you could safely use it in either connector, but you would not see full speed in the 50 amp (which is likely fine)

That's what I've heard anyway. :) You'll want to do you own searches on here and any other necessary research.

I purchased a NEMA 14-50 Gen 2 adapter when picking up my car last month so I could charge when visiting my parent's house. Unfortunately they have a 14-30 outlet.

So I'm looking to sell my opened but unused 14-50 for $40. Would prefer local sale in the Newton/Boston area.
14-50P are pretty handy. You might want to visit an RV service store and pick up an adapter 14-30P<=>14-50R Then just plug that adapter in and plug your 14-50P <=> mobile charger into it and your mobile charger. I keep a set of those and a 14-30P<=>5-20R and of course a J1772 so I can charge from about any reasonable source.

Still available?
I also have one. I ordered my car in January when the mobile connector was included with the model S but only came with the 110 adapter. I bought the 14-50 in May. Then around June tesla decided not to include the mobile connector. I received my car in September and bought a mobile connector which now comes with both adaPeters.

Long story just to say that now I have 2 14-50 adapters. I did opened the box but I haven‘t used either one yet. If anyone is interested in one is till have it in the box.