Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the NEMA 14-50 high power wall charger still available through Tesla? I can't seem to find it on their site. We are moving and I would like to go with this setup if possible. Thanks in advance.
If you mean the Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 Adapter, yes it is available here: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Your wording is a bit ambiguous since there is also the High Power Wall Connector which is a separate product available here: Wall Connector

Although both a currently available, they often run out of stock and then restock after a few days/weeks so order as soon as you can.

This is what I did. Home Depot sells the dryer whip - it was $25 I think.

QYfrtXF.jpg

NJNmiDi.jpg

I sent this to another member regarding the same subject of adding a plug to a HPWC. Please keep in mind this info is for a Gen2 HPWC. Same idea applies to a Gen3 HPWC, just the wiring will look different and a Gen3 doesn't use dip/rotary switches to set current limits.

You'll only need 2 parts; a replacement dryer/range cord and a cable gland.

For the replacement dryer/range cord, just make sure it is rated at 50A and not 30A. Here is an example from Best Buy. (Model:5305510956 SKU:3921073) But you could get them at places like Home Depot.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/smart-choice-6-50-amp-4-prong-range-cord-black/3921073.p?skuId=3921073

For the cable gland, you'll need one with a 1" thread and capable of passing through a 0.75" cable. Here is an example from Grainger. (Item # 2DPD9 Mfr. Model # SEC100BA)

https://www.grainger.com/product/HUBBELL-WIRING-DEVICE-KELLEMS-Liquid-Tight-Cord-Connector-2DPD9

To install the cable, you'll need to cut off the ring terminals and strip some of the insulation off the end so that the wire goes into the main terminal blocks in the HPWC.

View attachment 528735 View attachment 528748

Typically, the black and red wires are hot (interchangeable), white is neutral (not used; end should be covered), and green is ground. However, it is always a good idea to double check with a continuity tester. Also, make sure to run all the parts of the cable gland onto the cable before routing the cable into the HPWC.

Here is what the inside of the HPWC looks like. (Borrowed the image)

View attachment 528737

Last, but not least, make sure to set the DIP switches and rotary switch are set to the appropriate settings for a 50A circuit.

View attachment 528738 View attachment 528742

Reactions: RobbL
Thanks! There used to be an actual HPWC that was wall-mounted and could be plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I don't see that item anymore.
Those only appeared on the tesla store site twice I think, and sold out both times in less than a day. In another thread about them someone said that they'd heard that these wouldn't be back. I managed to get one, it works well, but agreed you could easily make your own if you're so inclined.

If you want the plug-in Wall Connector, you can check on eBay. Occasionally someone sells one there. As an electrical engineer, I'll say I like Adam3's solution, IF you know what you're doing. Whether that's in code or not in your locality is something you'll have to find out for yourself. If you install something that's not in code and your house burns down, your insurance probably won't pay.

And there are non-Tesla solutions, such as ChargePoint Home Flex, that give you full charging speed with a plug-in charger but require that you use your J1772 adapter.

Thanks! There used to be an actual HPWC that was wall-mounted and could be plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I don't see that item anymore.
The NEMA 14-50 HPWC was replaced by the Corded Mobile Connector: Corded Mobile Connector. Like the 14-50 HPWC, it supports the full 40A charging rate a NEMA 14-50 is capable of (the regular Mobile Connector only supports 32A).

Get it while you can - they never stay in stock for long, but they are as I'm writing this!

Edit: you can also get a Gen 2 Cable Organizer to go along with your Corded Mobile Connector and give it wall mounting similar to the HPWC.

Last edited:
How do the charging speeds compare between the Corded Mobile Connector and the regular mobile connector with a 14-50 NEMA plug?

The speed will depend on the circuit breaker amperage. If you are using a 50amp breaker the corded wall connector will provide up to 40 amps. The Gen 2 mobile connector can provide a max of 32 amps even on a 50 amp circuit. The Gen 1 mobile connector can provide up to 40 amps on a 50 amp circuit.