Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 install location/garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To help you to better understand how the Mobile Connector could be oriented. If not flush then their would probably be conduit or MC (metallic clad) wire mounted outside the wall, coming up from beneath the receptacle box. In that case you would want to install the Mobile Connector while avoiding the conduit, still be able to reach the receptacle with the limited length of the power plug cord (these are almost always limited to 1 ft in length including the molded plug so in reality you have an 8 inch power plug cord to work with.)
The city inspector will inspect everything so I’m sure this part will be to code. They had to pull a permit for this.

The city inspector will inspect everything so I’m sure this part will be to code. They had to pull a permit for this.
That is why I asked if there was a GFCI circuit breaker in the quote. If WI has adopted the 2017 version of the NEC then per the 2017 revision to the NEC there is a requirement for all 14-50 circuits to have a GFCI when used for EV charging. This requires a GFCI circuit breaker that costs about $100 compared to the $10 or so that a standard 50A double pole circuit breaker costs.

Yes, the wire cost would be a bit more, probably less than $100 more for the additional length of the wire. The electrician's time to install would be more but might not be much more labor cost. Pay a little more and get the circuit installed where it best meets your needs.
I really do appreciate the info! I used to own a Prius Prime and I remember it had an included charging cord of 24ft which was very simple and convenient.
If I’m forced to buy a 3rd party charging cord is this the one you would go with and does it qualify for the 30% government discount? 32A Level 2 EVSE AmazingE FAST with NEMA 14-50 | Powered by ClipperCreek

I really do appreciate the info! I used to own a Prius Prime and I remember it had an included charging cord of 24ft which was very simple and convenient.
If I’m forced to buy a 3rd party charging cord is this the one you would go with and does it qualify for the 30% government discount? 32A Level 2 EVSE AmazingE FAST with NEMA 14-50 | Powered by ClipperCreek
That is the EVSE I use to charge my Model Y at home. Be aware the AmazingE FAST EVSE is also sold without a plug for hard wired installation. (If you see a lower priced AmazingE EVSE that one is limited to 16 amps, comes with a 14-30 plug.) I purchased the bundle of the AmazingE FAST EVSE with the ClipperCreek Cable Wrap (charging cord hanger) because I needed to buy one anyway. When you use any non Tesla EVSE you need to use the Tesla J1772 adapter (this adapter comes with the Tesla vehicle.) I leave the J1772 adapter permanently attached to the AmazingE J1772 charging connector. I purchased a second J1772 adapter from the Tesla store for $95 (there are a few sources for this adapter that are a little less expensive.) I keep the second J1772 adapter in my Model Y and use it almost every day. (Except for some Supercharging done at the Tesla Service center by Tesla my Model Y has never been charged using a Tesla Mobile Connector or the Tesla Wall Connector (I did test the Mobile Connector once to see that it would charge using the 5-15 power plug adapter.)

I don't think you can claim the federal alternate fuel vehicle refueling property credit (isn't that a mouthful) if the EVSE has a power plug. The equipment has to be installed, hard wired into the circuit to qualify for the tex credit. I would suggest consulting with your tax advisor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1plavs
That is the EVSE I use to charge my Model Y at home. Be aware the AmazingE FAST EVSE is also sold without a plug for hard wired installation. (If you see a lower priced AmazingE EVSE that one is limited to 16 amps, comes with a 14-30 plug.) I purchased the bundle of the AmazingE FAST EVSE with the ClipperCreek Cable Wrap (charging cord hanger) because I needed to buy one anyway. When you use any non Tesla EVSE you need to use the Tesla J1772 adapter (this adapter comes with the Tesla vehicle.) I leave the J1772 adapter permanently attached to the AmazingE J1772 charging connector. I purchased a second J1772 adapter from the Tesla store for $95 (there are a few sources for this adapter that are a little less expensive.) I keep the second J1772 adapter in my Model Y and use it almost every day. (Except for some Supercharging done at the Tesla Service center by Tesla my Model Y has never been charged using a Tesla Mobile Connector or the Tesla Wall Connector (I did test the Mobile Connector once to see that it would charge using the 5-15 power plug adapter.)

I don't think you can claim the federal alternate fuel vehicle refueling property credit (isn't that a mouthful) if the EVSE has a power plug. The equipment has to be installed, hard wired into the circuit to qualify for the tex credit. I would suggest consulting with your tax advisor.
I may have to check it out all depending how my situation goes and again thanks!

I may have to check it out all depending how my situation goes and again thanks!
No worries. The GRIZZL-E EVSE costs a little less than the AmazingE FAST EVSE that I use to charge my Model Y at home. With the optional 24ft charging cord the price is $419 US. The GRIZZL-E enables charging at up to 40A (the AmazingE is limited to 32A.) There are dip switch settings inside the GRIZZL-E EVSE so you can set the maximum amperage you need (40A, 32A, 24A, 16A). 40A is the factory setting. The Amazon page is a little confusing, shows both the 14-50 plug and the 6-50 plug. (The model with the 14-50 plug has sku# GR1-14-XX).

Here is a link to the GRIZZL-E 40A EVSE on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Grizzl-Level...17449838&sprefix=grizzl-e,aps,143&sr=8-5&th=1

Here is a review of the GRIZZLE-EVSE: The Grizzl-E Classic EV Charger Ultimate Review

Here is an Amazon listing for an off-shore manufactured unknown brand 32A Level 2 EVSE (has a 25 ft charging cord, NEMA 14-50 plug) The price is just $315 US. Would I buy it or recommend it? No, because I don't know the company will be in business in a year to honor the warranty. If I needed this configuration of EVSE for occasional use or as a spare then maybe I would purchase one like it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VLFV71...&pd_rd_r=ba41af58-10dc-4c4d-94b0-556eaeeb6e18

No worries. The GRIZZL-E EVSE costs a little less than the AmazingE FAST EVSE that I use to charge my Model Y at home. With the optional 24ft charging cord the price is $419 US. The GRIZZL-E enables charging at up to 40A (the AmazingE is limited to 32A.) There are dip switch settings inside the GRIZZL-E EVSE so you can set the maximum amperage you need (40A, 32A, 24A, 16A). 40A is the factory setting. The Amazon page is a little confusing, shows both the 14-50 plug and the 6-50 plug. (The model with the 14-50 plug has sku# GR1-14-XX).

Here is a link to the GRIZZL-E 40A EVSE on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Grizzl-Level-Charging-Station-Output/dp/B07XSJSQ5S/ref=sr_1_5?crid=13JPNHYWBDDWH&dchild=1&keywords=grizzl-e+level+2+ev+charging+station&qid=1617449838&sprefix=grizzl-e,aps,143&sr=8-5&th=1

Here is a review of the GRIZZLE-EVSE: The Grizzl-E Classic EV Charger Ultimate Review

Here is an Amazon listing for an off-shore manufactured unknown brand 32A Level 2 EVSE (has a 25 ft charging cord, NEMA 14-50 plug) The price is just $315 US. Would I buy it or recommend it? No, because I don't know the company will be in business in a year to honor the warranty. If I needed this configuration of EVSE for occasional use or as a spare then maybe I would purchase one like it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VLFV71...&pd_rd_r=ba41af58-10dc-4c4d-94b0-556eaeeb6e18
Correct. Then the MY would also have to be set at the correct amps to match it.

I just measured. From the drywall to my garage door is 19ft. I just might be in luck actually as long as they install closer to the right side. They would have to mount as low to the ground as possible If they insist on installing on the left side (because of cost) no big deal, I just need to switch parking spots.

Since the cord is 20ft if they install 2 ft off the ground(unless code specified 4ft), I mount the chassis underneath it and run it 18ft I think I may be able to pull this off. What will make or break this is the height of the outlet and what the code specifies. Measuring the Gfci outlet that I have now which is next to the door leading into the house, it measures 4ft off of the ground which is right in the middle of the outlet. So I think the code is just that unless there’s a way they install the 14-50 lower.

My question is this. I won’t have the vehicle or the mobile connector until after they install the outlet. What would be the best way to ensure this WILL work as is? Their job is to install the outlet as they don’t care about the rest.

I’ll still ask about the cost difference to install on the right side of the garage although the future homeowner may or may not prefer that.

The mobile connector @ 32A is more than enough mileage charging for me @ 29miles/hour. 40A is obviously better, but not a necessity for me.

Last edited:
Correct. Then the MY would also have to be set at the correct amps to match it.

I just measured. From the drywall to my garage door is 19ft. I just might be in luck actually as long as they install closer to the right side. They would have to mount as low to the ground as possible If they insist on installing on the left side (because of cost) no big deal, I just need to switch parking spots.

Since the cord is 20ft if they install 2 ft off the ground(unless code specified 4ft), I mount the chassis underneath it and run it 18ft I think I may be able to pull this off. What will make or break this is the height of the outlet and what the code specifies. Measuring the Gfci outlet that I have now which is next to the door leading into the house, it measures 4ft off of the ground which is right in the middle of the outlet. So I think the code is just that unless there’s a way they install the 14-50 lower.

My question is this. I won’t have the vehicle or the mobile connector until after they install the outlet. What would be the best way to ensure this WILL work as is? Their job is to install the outlet as they don’t care about the rest.

I’ll still ask about the cost difference to install on the right side of the garage although the future homeowner may or may not prefer that.
The EVSE must be configured for the circuit. A 50A circuit will support charging at up to 40A. The vehicle will never try and pull more amps from the EVSE than the EVSE can supply. If you wish to manually reduce the charging amperage the Tesla will let you do that from the charging screen. Otherwise the EVSE and the vehicle agree on the charging voltage and maximum amperage and start charging.

Stop thinking of the Mobile Connector as having a 20 ft charging cable, that length includes the power plug cord and the Mobile Connector chassis. The actual length of the charging cord from the Mobile Connector chassis to the Tesla charging connector is just 18 ft.

You could take any extension cord you have, mark off 18 ft. Have someone hold or secure in place one end of the extension cord where you believe the Mobile Connector chassis would be mounted by the 14-50 receptacle. See if the extension cord at the 18ft mark reaches the rear quarter panel on your current vehicle when parked as close to the wall of the garage as you would normally park. If your current vehicle is longer than the Model Y then adjust for length. If shorter than the Model Y move back towards the end of the vehicle until you are this far: (the distance from wall to front of vehicle + the distance from front of Model Y to the charging port (15ft, 7 inches - 12 inches from the end of the Model Y, so approx. 14.5 feet from the front of your current vehicle). Then account for most of the charging cord laying on the floor of the garage.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
The EVSE must be configured for the circuit. A 50A circuit will support charging at up to 40A. The vehicle will never try and pull more amps from the EVSE than the EVSE can supply. If you wish to manually reduce the charging amperage the Tesla will let you do that from the charging screen. Otherwise the EVSE and the vehicle agree on the charging voltage and maximum amperage and start charging.

Stop thinking of the Mobile Connector as having a 20 ft charging cable, that length includes the power plug cord and the Mobile Connector chassis. The actual length of the charging cord from the Mobile Connector chassis to the Tesla charging connector is just 18 ft.

You could take any extension cord you have, mark off 18 ft. Have someone hold or secure in place one end of extension cord where you believe the Mobile Connector chassis would be mounted by the 14-50 receptacle. See if the extension cord at the 18ft mark reaches the rear quarter panel on your current vehicle when parked as close to the wall of the garage as you would normally park. If your current vehicle is longer than the Model Y then adjust for length. If shorter than the Model Y move back towards the end of the vehicle until you are this far: (the distance from wall to front of vehicle + the distance from front of Model Y to the charging port (15ft, 7 inches - 12 inches from the end of the Model Y, so approx. 14.5 feet from the front of your current vehicle). Then account for most of the charging cord laying on the floor of the garage.
Parking in reverse is looking more appealing, lol. A lot to consider!

You could take any extension cord you have, mark off 18 ft. Have someone hold or secure in place one end of the extension cord where you believe the Mobile Connector chassis would be mounted by the 14-50 receptacle. See if the extension cord at the 18ft mark reaches the rear quarter panel on your current vehicle when parked as close to the wall of the garage as you would normally park. If your current vehicle is longer than the Model Y then adjust for length. If shorter than the Model Y move back towards the end of the vehicle until you are this far: (the distance from wall to front of vehicle + the distance from front of Model Y to the charging port (15ft, 7 inches - 12 inches from the end of the Model Y, so approx. 14.5 feet from the front of your current vehicle). Then account for most of the charging cord laying on the floor of the garage.
We currently have a CRV which is 180 inches long. The MY is 187 so I have 7 inches to play with there for current testing.

Along with the measurements you gave earlier I’ll have to play around with an extension cord as well to see how this will stack up!

That is true. Backing into the garage would solve the issue of reaching the charging port using the Mobile Connector. That is not how I prefer to park at home, inside my garage.
Thoughts on this 30 ft charging cord? They seem to be well known.

Thoughts on this 30 ft charging cord? They seem to be well known.
I have no experience with that brand but if you are thinking of using an extension cord for every day use, especially at higher amperage, it's a bad idea. Tesla and the other manufacturers (GM for example) specifically state in the vehicle owner's manual that you should not use an extension cord to charge. I would only use an extension cord when camping, at a cabin, etc. on a temporary basis. Even then I would keep the extension cord as short as possible, lower the charging amperage at the first sign that the extension cord was getting warm (especially at the interconnections.)

There is a new product that is an extension cord for the Tesla charging cable. That could be a consideration but it is not inexpensive as each one has to be made to order. Tesla extension cord Prices start at $299 for a 19 ft. Tesla charging cord extension rated for 32 amps. Seems like overkill since you only need a slightly longer charging cord for charging in your garage. Since you don't want to back the Tesla into your garage to charge I would investigate the cost of moving the placement of the 14-50 receptacle to the right side of the garage close to garage door. That would make it easy to reach the Tesla'a charging port with the Tesla charging cord, might even reach across to the left side of the garage if the Tesla was parked on the left. I would suggest that you get several different quotes for the charging circuit with the 14-50 receptacle.

Last edited:
I have no experience with that brand but if you are thinking of using an extension cord for every day use, especially at higher amperage, it's a bad idea. Tesla and the other manufacturers (GM for example) specifically state in the vehicle owner's manual that you should not use an extension cord to charge. I would only use an extension cord when camping, at a cabin, etc. on a temporary basis. Even then I would keep the extension cord as short as possible, lower the charging amperage at the first sign that the extension cord was getting warm (especially at the interconnections.)

There is a new product that is an extension cord for the Tesla charging cable. That could be a consideration but it is not inexpensive as each one has to be made to order. Tesla extension cord Prices start at $299 for a 19 ft. Tesla charging cord extension rated for 32 amps. Seems like overkill since you only need a slightly longer charging cord for charging in your garage. Since you don't want to back the Tesla into your garage to charge I would investigate the cost of moving the placement of the 14-50 receptacle to the right side of the garage close to garage door. That would make it easy to reach the Tesla'a charging port with the Tesla charging cord, might even reach across to the left side of the garage if the Tesla was parked on the left. I would suggest that you get several different quotes for the charging circuit with the 14-50 receptacle.
I did believe me and between the well known contractors around me $550 was the best price.

You could start practicing backing into your garage with your current vehicle. It wouldn't cost you anything to back in to charge the Model Y and you could charge the Tesla using the Mobile Connector. The 18 ft length of the charging cord would not be a an issue.

Reactions: 1plavs

Here’s what that company told me “
Please note the 30-foot Charging Extension Cord is UL-rated and designed specifically for use with electric vehicles. When Tesla states “extension cords” in its manual, the reference is to your standard home improvement store extension cord (110V).

The 30-foot Charging Extension Cord has NEMA 14-50 male plug and female receptacle. You plug the male plug of your Tesla charging cable into the female receptacle of your extension cord. The male end of the extension cord then plugs into a NEMA 14-50 power cord or, if another power source is available, you use one of the available charging adapters, plug the extension cord into the adapter, and then plug the adapter into the power outlet. All of this is safe for use.”

I would really try to avoid using any extension cord, regardless of what the manufacturer says. They are trying to sell extension cords, so, of course they will try to convince you. Extension cords are for temporary use--not a substitute for permanent wiring. Also, they are expensive in the 50 amp range. And heavy. You are in WI, so you know about snow/salt and cold exacerbating the problems with extension cords lying on the concrete floor. For the price of the extension cord, how much closer does that get you to another permanent outlet in the garage at a different location?

P.S. Did you write that the extension cord is "UL-rated"? Needs to be UL listed. "UL rated" is a meaningless marketing term.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't understand the logic of paying $$$ for an expensive extension cord when you could put the money towards either relocating the receptacle or purchasing a non-Tesla EVSE such as the AmazingE FAST (32 amp) or the GRIZZL-E (40 amp) that each have a longer charging cord (25 ft for the AmazingE, 24 ft for the GRIZZL-E) than the 18 ft charging cord on Tesla Mobile Connector and the Tesla Wall Connector.

My question is this. I won’t have the vehicle or the mobile connector until after they install the outlet. What would be the best way to ensure this WILL work as is?
DO NOT run this tight on the length. You may be very frustrated and nervous with that. I still am confused as to why you are so averse to getting the outlet installed where it needs to be! You don't want to back into your garage, and I agree--I would never want to do that. Just get the surface mount conduit along the garage walls to get it to the back right corner near the rear of the car and be done with it. Yes, of course more distance will cost more money, but you definitely will not want this to be somewhere cumbersome and inconvenient that will annoy you every single day. It will be wonderfully easy and convenient if it is at the back of the car, and all you have to do is take the cord off the wall, lay it under your back bumper and plug it in on the left side. That is clearly the best and easiest solution and doesn't involve buying extra charging devices you don't need from other companies or buying extension cords.

DO NOT run this tight on the length. You may be very frustrated and nervous with that. I still am confused as to why you are so averse to getting the outlet installed where it needs to be! You don't want to back into your garage, and I agree--I would never want to do that. Just get the surface mount conduit along the garage walls to get it to the back right corner near the rear of the car and be done with it. Yes, of course more distance will cost more money, but you definitely will not want this to be somewhere cumbersome and inconvenient that will annoy you every single day. It will be wonderfully easy and convenient if it is at the back of the car, and all you have to do is take the cord off the wall, lay it under your back bumper and plug it in on the left side. That is clearly the best and easiest solution and doesn't involve buying extra charging devices you don't need from other companies or buying extension cords.
Definitely not opposed to it, just need to see if they will escalate the charges to install it that way.