Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 install location/garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An electrician will be installing a 14-50 on 5/3. Overall I just plan on using the included mobile connector and I’ll have to purchase this piece as well to plug into the mobile connector which then plugs into the receptacle. Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

The mobile connector and Gen 2 Nema adapter will be permanently plugged into the 14-50 outlet. I know that I can purchase 3rd party chargers or a Tesla wall connector(which most Tesla owners don’t buy for the pure fact of price) , but for now until I see a reason to upgrade this should work just fine unless there’s a downside to it.
Tesla now clips you for $45 for the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter. Before that it cost $35 and before that is was included at no additional charge with the early Model 3 vehicles.

Another important accessory is the Tesla Cable Organizer for $35 on the Tesla Store (This item currently shows as being out of stock.) If you enter your email you will receive notification when this item is again available (probably just a couple of weeks). You can also assemble these parts separately, fashion your own or buy a similar cable organizer on Amazon, Etc.

First, not obvious, is the Cable Organizer includes a wall mount bracket (Tesla calls this the chassis holder) for the Mobile Connector electronics unit. You want to use this or something similar to relieve the strain from the weight of the Mobile Connector chassis from the power plug and the receptacle. The power plug is not designed to continuously support the weight of the Mobile Connector chassis. Over time when left unsupported the power plug can fail.

Second the Cable Organizer provides a hook to wrap the charging cord. You may also want to buy a retainer for the charging connector so it is not subject to dirt, damage etc. There are many examples of 3-D printed charging connector retainers on Amazon, Etsy and eBay.

Cable Organizer

Last edited:
I believe that it follows the interpretation of what qualifies as refueling property. I am not a tax advisor. In the past I know that an electrical circuit and a receptacle (such as a 14-50) did not qualify as alternate fuel vehicle refueling property. (Only the government could come up with a term like that.) The circuit and the receptacle would be considered structural components. An EVSE with a plug does not qualify because it is not considered permanently located at the point (location) where the vehicle is charged.

Qualified Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property​

Qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property is any property (other than a building or its structural components) used for either of the following.
  • To store or dispense an alternative fuel (defined below) other than electricity into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle propelled by the fuel, but only if the storage or dispensing is at the point where the fuel is delivered into that tank.
  • To recharge an electric vehicle, but only if the recharging property is located at the point where the vehicle is recharged.
Yes, I'm not a tax advisor either. I did put everything needed for connecting (and including) the Wall Connector on the form. Since I have it hooked up via a NEMA 14-50 outlet/pigtail (easier as I already had the 14-50 outlet) I do consider all of that being part of the refueling property. Anyway, 0% chance that the IRS will even review and object to this for a fairly small amount of $. Also there's not even a specification of the equipment on the form, just a dollar amount.

Last edited:
i think if you install the 14-50 on the front wall of your garage, you're going to have a tough time reaching the charge port with the mobile connector. if you can, have it installed close to the garage door opening, either side.
If you are open to backing into the garage to charge the Tesla vehicle then the Mobile Connector's 18 ft. charging cord has more than enough length to reach the Tesla's charging port.

If you are open to backing into the garage to charge the Tesla vehicle then the Mobile Connector's 18 ft. charging cord has more than enough length to reach the Tesla's charging port.
I measured it today and I should actually be just fine even if I park straight in. I’ll have to test it out in May when the MY finally arrives and then I can easily make tweaks if needed.

Reactions: DanDi58
I measured it today and I should actually be just fine even if I park straight in. I’ll have to test it out in May when the MY finally arrives and then I can easily make tweaks if needed.
The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual specifications on page 181 shows the length of the Model Y as 187 inches; 15 ft., 7 inches. That only leaves 2 ft, 5 inches additional for the 18 ft. charging cord for hanging down and for slack in the charging cord. I just measured my Model Y; the charging port is located about 1 ft forward from the rear of the Model Y, so no more than 3 ft., 6 inches total additional charging cable to come down the wall. (This assumes the nose of the Model Y is touching the back wall of the garage.) You won't want the charging cable hanging off the ground, that would put unwanted strain on the charging port.

Options:

1) Install the 14-50 on the back wall of the garage. Use the Mobile Connector and accept that you will need to back into the garage to charge.

2) Install the 14-50 on the back wall of the garage. Use a different EVSE, one with a longer charging cord. (Example: Assuming the 14-50 and Mobile Connector need to be mounted at a minumum height of 4 ft, then ~5 ft of charging cord will be needed to come down the wall, including the curve; ~15 feet needed to reach the rear of the Model Y; ~3 feet to reach the charging port. That's 23 feet thus far. (I don't know about your garage but when I park my Model Y in my garage I leave ~2 feet in front of my Model Y and ~2 feet behind my Model Y.) Total length needed: 25 feet. Funny how that measurement (25 feet) keeps showing up.

3) Install the 14-50 on the side of the garage where you will park the Tesla. Install the 14-50 towards the front of the garage door so that the 18 ft. charging cord will reach the Tesla's charging port without being stretched out to the limit.

You are about to spend a considerable sum of money for an electrician to install the 14-50 charging circuit. Make certain that the location of the 14-50 receptacle will meet your charging requirements.

Last edited:
i think if you install the 14-50 on the front wall of your garage, you're going to have a tough time reaching the charge port with the mobile connector. if you can, have it installed close to the garage door opening, either side.
Yeah, I would not think that would work easily having it on the front wall. I was thinking to bring the electrical line around to the back right side wall, at the rear of the car, if you pull in forward. So then it will just have to go the distance across the width of the car, from the right to left side, but still at the back. I think that might be shorter and leave more slack.

The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual specifications on page 181 shows the length of the Model Y as 187 inches; 15 ft., 7 inches. That only leaves 2 ft, 5 inches additional for the 18 ft. charging cord for hanging down and for slack in the charging cord. I just measured my Model Y; the charging port is located about 1 ft forward from the rear of the Model Y, so no more than 3 ft., 6 inches total additional charging cable to come down the wall. (This assumes the nose of the Model Y is touching the back wall of the garage.) You won't want the charging cable hanging off the ground, that would put unwanted strain on the charging port.

Options:

1) Install the 14-50 on the back wall of the garage. Use the Mobile Connector and accept that you will need to back into the garage to charge.

2) Install the 14-50 on the back wall of the garage. Use a different EVSE, one with a longer charging cord.

3) Install the 14-50 on the side of the garage where you will park the Tesla. Install the 14-50 towards the front of the garage door so that the 18 ft. charging cord will reach the Tesla's charging port without being stretched out to the limit.

You are about to spend a considerable sum of money for an electrician to install the 14-50 charging circuit. Make certain that the location of the 14-50 receptacle will meet your charging requirements.
That definitely puts things in perspective. I do not want the cable hanging off the ground. In reality from should the cable should lay on the ground starting from below the 14-50 outlet to below the rear of the Tesla charging port? The cable you mentioned earlier seems pricey, but all and all I chose to buy a Tesla and they are not cheap.

The 14-50 outlet installation is going to cost me $550

That definitely puts things in perspective. I do not want the cable hanging off the ground. In reality from should the cable should lay on the ground starting from below the 14-50 outlet to below the rear of the Tesla charging port? The cable you mentioned earlier seems pricey, but all and all I chose to buy a Tesla and they are not cheap.

The 14-50 outlet installation is going to cost me $550

I updated my earlier post. Example: Assuming the 14-50 and Mobile Connector need to be mounted at a minumum height of 4 ft, then ~5 ft of charging cord will be needed to come down the wall, including the curve; ~15 feet needed to reach the rear of the Model Y; ~3 feet to reach the charging port. That's 23 feet thus far. (I don't know about your garage but when I park my Model Y in my garage I leave ~2 feet in front of my Model Y and ~2 feet behind my Model Y.) Total length needed: 25 feet. Funny how that measurement (25 feet) keeps showing up.

Yes, when the charging cable lays on the ground the charging port only has to support the weight of the portion of the charging cable that rises from the floor to reach the charging port. If you want to use the Tesla Mobile Connector, not have to purchase a different EVSE then why not install the 14-50 as others have suggested on the right wall of the garage towards the garage door end of the garage?
I purchased the AmazingE because I had prior experience with ClipperCreek and their 20 amp rated LCS-20 EVSE. There are other brands of EVSE that you could consider that might cost a bit less money. I personally would not buy an EVSE based solely on price. I would not install an off-shore manufactured unknown brand EVSE for charging at 32A or 40A. One brand, other than the major brands (ClipperCreek, Chargepoint, Juicebox, Siemens) I would consider is the GRIZZL-E 40A EVSE. This EVSE is made in Canada, has received some positive reviews. The GRIZZL-E EVSE is available on Amazon for $400 depending on the charging cord length you select (18 or 24 ft.). As far as I am aware GRIZZL-E is the only brand of EVSE that offers a premium charging cable option. (The GRIZZL-E premium charging cable stays flexible even at sub zero temperatures, eh.)

Last edited:
Installing the 14-50 on the right side isn’t ideal only if the electrician charges more for the install. Here’s what the contract says “

We will run a 50 amp circuit from the panel across the basement by the radon fan area.
We will fish the wire into the wall and install a box in the garage by the radon fan pipe.
We will install a 240 volt 50 amp outlet.
We will install a 50 amp breaker in the panel.”

So if anything my wife and I may need to change spots in the garage. 😂

Installing the 14-50 on the right side isn’t ideal only if the electrician charges more for the install. Here’s what the contract says “

We will run a 50 amp circuit from the panel across the basement by the radon fan area.
We will fish the wire into the wall and install a box in the garage by the radon fan pipe.
We will install a 240 volt 50 amp outlet.
We will install a 50 amp breaker in the panel.”

So if anything my wife and I may need to change spots in the garage. 😂
We will run a 50 amp circuit from the panel across the basement by the radon fan area. (Find out if there is a 4 ft height requirement for the garage receptacle/outlet? If not, you should specify the height as well as the relative location (distance from the Radon pipe) of the receptacle, leave room below the receptacle for the Mobile Connector power plug etc.)
We will fish the wire into the wall and install a box in the garage by the radon fan pipe. (Will the electrical junction box be mounted flush in the wall?)
We will install a 240 volt 50 amp outlet. (Specify a NEMA 14-50R (R is for receptacle.) Ask the electrician which brand of 14-50 receptacle they will install. Avoid Leviton. (Tesla recommends Hubbell part # HBL9450A, Cooper part #5754N)
We will install a 50 amp breaker in the panel.” (Ask the electrician if a GFCI circuit breaker is required?)

From what I can tell it won't matter which side of the garage you park on. If the electrician installs the 14-50 receptacle on the wall by the radon pipe, unless you back into the garage the Tesla Mobile Connector charging cord won't reach.

Personally I would get a second quote.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: Rocky_H
We will run a 50 amp circuit from the panel across the basement by the radon fan area. (Find out if there is a 4 ft height requirement for the garage receptacle/outlet? If not, you should specify the height as well as the relative location (distance from the Radon pipe) of the receptacle, leave room below the receptacle for the Mobile Connector power plug etc.)
We will fish the wire into the wall and install a box in the garage by the radon fan pipe. (Will the electrical junction box be mounted flush in the wall?)
We will install a 240 volt 50 amp outlet. (Specify a NEMA 14-50R (R is for receptacle.) Ask the electrician which brand of 14-50 receptacle they will install. Avoid Leviton. (Tesla recommends Hubbell part # HBL9450A, Cooper part #5754N)
We will install a 50 amp breaker in the panel.” (Ask the electrician if a GFCI circuit breaker is required?)

From what I can tell it won't matter which side of the garage you park on. If the electrician installs the 14-50 receptacle on the wall by the radon pipe, unless you back into the garage the Tesla Mobile Connector charging cord won't reach.

They use Pass & Seymour. I’ll definitely ask these questions, but they insist on installing low I could always do this if needed.
1617423483726.jpeg

If there is no local building/electrical code requirement for a 4 ft height for the receptacle inside a garage you could have the 14-50 installed lower down on the wall. I would want the receptacle and the Mobile Connector or EVSE installed high enough that there is no chance of running into it with a vehicle. (One more reason why installing the 14-50 on the right side wall of the garage is a better location.)
The inverted installation of the Mobile Connector in the photo is fine (you would have to ask the electrician to rotate the 14-50 receptacle 180 degrees so the ground pin was at the bottom.) This orientation places the charging cord higher up, away from the floor so you will not be able to use as much of the charging cord 18 ft length as you would want to be able to use to reach the charging port. (If the 14-50 receptacle is installed on a side wall, then would be no charging cord length limitation/issue with this orientation.) If the electrician who gave you the quote won't install the 14-50 receptacle where you want/need it to be installed get another quote from a different electrician.

Last edited:
If there is no local building/electrical code requirement for a 4 ft height for the receptacle inside a garage you could have the 14-50 installed lower down on the wall. I would want the receptacle and the Mobile Connector or EVSE installed high enough that there is no chance of running into it with a vehicle. (One more reason why installing the 14-50 on the right side wall of the garage is a better location.)
The inverted installation of the Mobile Connector in the photo is fine (you would have to ask the electrician to rotate 14-50 receptacle 180 degrees so the ground pin was at the bottom.) This orientation places the charging cord higher up, away from the floor so you will not be able to use as much of the charging cord 18 ft length as you would want to be able to use to reach the charging port. (If the 14-50 receptacle is installed on a side wall, then would be no issue with this orientation.) If the electrician who gave you the quote won't install the 14-50 receptacle where you want/need it to be installed get another quote from a different electrician.
On the side wall would make it worse wouldn’t it? I say that because then the cord has to be ran along the right side of the vehicle around the back end and then to the charging port.
EDIT: I see what you mean. I would think a longer run means a lot more $$$.

The inverted installation of the Mobile Connector in the photo is fine (you would have to ask the electrician to rotate the 14-50 receptacle 180 degrees so the ground pin was at the bottom.) This orientation places the charging cord higher up, away from the floor so you will not be able to use as much of the charging cord 18 ft length as you would want to be able to use to reach the charging port. (If the 14-50 receptacle is installed on a side wall, then would be no charging cord length limitation/issue with this orientation.) If the electrician who gave you the quote won't install the 14-50 receptacle where you want/need it to be installed get another quote from a different electrician.
Thoughts on the Pass & Seymour brand?

I forgot to ask what concerns should I have about this question you wanted me to ask them ?
“Will the electrical junction box be mounted flush in the wall?

Which way is better?

On the side wall would make it worse wouldn’t it? I say that because then the cord has to be ran along the right side of the vehicle around the back end and then to the charging port.
Not if you have the 14-50 receptacle installed on the right wall towards the back close to where the rear of the vehicle will be if parked nose in. If the Mobile Connector with 18 ft charging cable is roughly located in alignment with the rear quarter panel of the Tesla vehicle on the right side then charging cord would easily be able to reach to the rear quarter panel on the left side of the Tesla where the charging port is located. Also, the tires don't extend to the rear bumper so the charging cord could actually tuck in underneath the vehicle for at least 1 ft.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Not if you have the 14-50 receptacle installed on the right wall towards the back close to where the rear of the vehicle will be if parked nose in. If the Mobile Connector with 18 ft charging cable is roughly located in alignment with the rear quarter panel of the Tesla vehicle on the right side then charging cord would easily be able to reach to the rear quarter panel on the left side of the Tesla where the charging port is located. Also, the tires don't extend to the rear bumper so the charging cord could actually tuck in underneath the vehicle for at least 1 ft.
I would just have to find out the cost. There is approximately a 35ft run from the circuit breaker located in my basement and up to the garage where the radon gas pipe is. So this would make that a 50-55ft run and I’m sure they would charge me more for that. I can definitely ask, but yes that would be more ideal.

I forgot to ask what concerns should I have about this question you wanted me to ask them ?
“Will the electrical junction box be mounted flush in the wall?

Which way is better?
To help you to better understand how the Mobile Connector could be oriented. If not flush then their would probably be conduit or MC (metallic clad) wire mounted outside the wall, coming up from beneath the receptacle box. In that case you would want to install the Mobile Connector while avoiding the conduit, still be able to reach the receptacle with the limited length of the power plug cord (these are almost always limited to 1 ft in length including the molded plug so in reality you have an 8 inch power plug cord to work with.)

Reactions: 1plavs
I would just have to find out the cost. There is approximately a 35ft run from the circuit breaker located in my basement and up to the garage where the radon gas pipe is. So this would make that a 50-55ft run and I’m sure they would charge me more for that. I can definitely ask, but yes that would be more ideal.
Yes, the wire cost would be a bit more, probably less than $100 more for the additional length of the wire. The electrician's time to install would be more but might not be much more labor cost. Pay a little more and get the circuit installed where it best meets your needs.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and 1plavs