Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 install quote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a quote for an install. $300. Just to supply and install a 50 amp 2 pole breaker and surface mount to a NEMA 14-50 outlet(I already bought this and the outlet box). Outlet will be about 6" from the panel. I thought this would be pretty simple and only take like 30 min. Does $300 seem like a lot, since I already bought the NEMA 14-50 and it is only 6" from the panel?

$300 seems about right if you hire a certified electrician to do the job, I just don't see anyone will charge less than $200. Just for reference, I hire an electrician to install two 14-50 outlets (on separate occasions)
1) Outlet is on the other side of the panel wall, inside the garage. He has to move some of the breakers to make room. $300. He was there for about 1 hour to 80 min.
2) Outlet is at the other wall inside the garage (about 30' to 40' of length away from the first outlet), He has to make room in the panel again. $530. He and his son (I think) was there for about 2 and a half hours.

You are getting billed for a block of time. Company has to pay for the truck and the guy for probably a 2hour minimum block.

In a shop like auto repair is is easy to keep a guy busy steadily. Jobs like this they likely have a 2 2hour slots and a 4 hour slot for scheduling. Even if just n hour it is not practical to schedule 8 jobs a day to drive between.

$300 is dirt cheap based on the quotes I got 2 weeks ago (different side of the country though and everything is overpriced here). I was quoted $800-1290 for 30' of 3/6 line, receptacle and labor (already had an open 50A breaker). That was without permit or inspection.

I elected to do it all myself including the permit (easy online process in WA). Materials cost $100 or so at Home Depot, $120 for the Permit and inspection was $62. So a little under $300 out the door.

Reactions: nwdiver
$300 is dirt cheap based on the quotes I got 2 weeks ago (different side of the country though and everything is overpriced here). I was quoted $800-1290 for 30' of 3/6 line, receptacle and labor (already had an open 50A breaker). That was without permit or inspection.

I elected to do it all myself including the permit (easy online process in WA). Materials cost $100 or so at Home Depot, $120 for the Permit and inspection was $62. So a little under $300 out the door.
225 in BC Canada. Took him about an hour. Maybe 6 feet of conduit.

U can use THHN 3 x #6 1.5 ft each cable , 1x #8 1.5 ft ..50 a breaker ..pic of box would help ..or if u want use a AWG(Rome) style cable ...I’m not sure is this is back to back or six inches to left or right but u will need some conduit ..post pics of layout

2018-09-28 22.23.38.jpg
2018-09-28 22.24.40.jpg
2018-09-28 22.25.32.jpg

I just got a quote for an install. $300. Just to supply and install a 50 amp 2 pole breaker and surface mount to a NEMA 14-50 outlet(I already bought this and the outlet box). Outlet will be about 6" from the panel. I thought this would be pretty simple and only take like 30 min. Does $300 seem like a lot, since I already bought the NEMA 14-50 and it is only 6" from the panel?
Sounds excessive to me. Should be minimum labor fee - usually one hour at Maybe $100 per. Breaker for most panels cost less than $20.