Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 installation charged 4200

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I just got a nema 14-50 installed and the final bill is 4200 dollars.

I reside at San mateo (Bay area, cali).
I live in an apartment building and the garage is just opposite to my unit. There is a hallway separating my apartment and the garage. He had to run a line from my parking spot in the garage to the panel in my apartment, the total distance is about 12 ft.
He added a breaker too for this dedicated circuit. He used emt (electric metal tube 3/4 inch)and had to drill once on the wall between garage and hallway and then on the wall between hallway and my unit. He didn't have to run any lines inside the garage or my apartment as the panel is just besides my main door.

Am I being overcharged for this project?
How much does it cost in bay area for a project of this sort? I was expecting it would be around 1500 to 2000 dollars.
I was in Ohio before and I got a quote for 800 to 900 dollars.

If I am being overcharged, are there any laws protecting me in such cases..I know this is not a legal advise forum. But what are your thoughts. Any help appreciated.

I did not sign any contract before hand stating the amount. I always ask for a quote before any project, in this case I did not as I was travelling and trusted my property management who user their pro services department and now I feel like I am being screwed.

Attachments

• 20220401_205903.jpg
    20220401_205903.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 20220401_205950.jpg
    20220401_205950.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Ask for an itemized invoice. I see $275 worth of parts (#6 Cu wire), 2-4 hours of labor for a 2nd year apprentice @ $35/hr and permit cost (maybe $100?). Overhead and profit is a thing, but 800% seems a bit steep.

That being said, are any of those walls concrete or masonry? That is much more intensive on labor and wear items, and might explain why they chose the rather ugly surface mount route.

Reactions: manibalasamban
Ask for an itemized invoice. I see $275 worth of parts (#6 Cu wire), 2-4 hours of labor for a 2nd year apprentice @ $35/hr and permit cost (maybe $100?). Overhead and profit is a thing, but 800% seems a bit steep.

That being said, are any of those walls concrete or masonry? That is much more intensive on labor and wear items, and might explain why they chose the rather ugly surface mount route.
None of the walls are concrete or masonry...all the walls involved are dry walls.
When I asked for an invoice thus is what they gave me.

1.Linked to sub panel located in Apt 1 by installing new 50 amp breaker and connecting wire #6
2. New Nema 14-50 electrical outlet installed in garage back cabinet via EMT (electrical metal tubin) in size 3/4" from sub
panel, through wall, and through common hallway.
3. Connection between apartment sub-panel made
4. Breaker, circuit, and plug all tested and confirmed working

There was no sort of itemization as you can see. Only the broad description of what they did. They didn't even split the total cost over each of these tasks they did.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I wouldn't give them a dime until they give you an itemized bill, down to the conduit straps and detailed hours of labor (with a breakdown between journeyman and apprentices).

I bet I could have flown in from Canada, spent 3 nights in a 4 star hotel, rented a van, bought brand new tools, ran the wiring in the walls (including patching and painting drywall) and still charged you less money. Shame I'm neither a fully qualified electrician nor able to legally work in the US.

I live in San Jose and i got mine done in 2018. Cost was 1500 $ including inspection by City authorities so that these is no issue with Insurance in case of fire. I had to pull a new circuit from the external panel in the house as existing circuits were fairly loaded. Pulled a 60 amp circuit and with 50-60 feet of cabling inside the garage within a metal conduit as per city specs. Inspection costs including permit was $ 500 which was a part of the 1500 total cost.
Your cost of $4200 seems too high even considering post pandemic costs increase. ( Cost elements - labor, cabling costs ( distance , cable gauge, underground digging or over ground along the wall, conduit costs )

Reactions: manibalasamban
Thank you all for the response. I am waiting on the itemized bill. This service was provided by BelongHome, a property management. Just be aware of them.
The part that hurts even more is that I am renting this place. Although I was ready for a 1000 or 2000 worst case scenario. I was not ready for 4200 dollars.
I am losing sleep over this issue for the last few days. Felt so stupid for not being cautious with them and for trusting them. I still hope they come back saying they made a billing error.

That is one ugly install, and it seems like the person doing the install was just lazy. He could have cut open the drywall, put the wires inside, and then patched everything up so that you can't see the wiring from the hallway or from inside your unit. And for that price, I would expect them to do just that.

Thank you all for the response. I am waiting on the itemized bill. This service was provided by BelongHome, a property management. Just be aware of them.
The part that hurts even more is that I am renting this place. Although I was ready for a 1000 or 2000 worst case scenario. I was not ready for 4200 dollars.
I am losing sleep over this issue for the last few days. Felt so stupid for not being cautious with them and for trusting them. I still hope they come back saying they made a billing error.
If you're renting the place, why are you paying for the install costs? The outlet in the assigned space is an asset that the landlord can use to charge more for rent to the next tenant.

That is one ugly install, and it seems like the person doing the install was just lazy. He could have cut open the drywall, put the wires inside, and then patched everything up so that you can't see the wiring from the hallway or from inside your unit. And for that price, I would expect them to do just that.

If you're renting the place, why are you paying for the install costs? The outlet in the assigned space is an asset that the landlord can use to charge more for rent to the next tenant.
Since I was the one who wanted an outlet. The landlord was not ready to do it for me.
Later I tried negotiating and he was only ready to pay for 20 percent of the final bill.
Yes you are rite. He would charge the next tenant more for this.

Am I being overcharged for this project?
I know things are more expensive in SoCal than in some areas of flyover country, but this still does seem extremely high.
the total distance is about 12 ft.
We can see from your pictures that it's a lot more than 12 feet conduit-wise. Still shouldn't be that high.

I did not sign any contract before hand stating the amount.
Unfortunately, you opened the door and let the rodents in by agreeing to have the job done before even asking for a quote amount. You can be lucky they didn't charge you $50,000, since you had given them the message that they could charge you whatever they felt like.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911