Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Installation in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case there was already 200 amps buried to the meter with only 100 to my panel. 11 year old house 100km outside the GTA. Got some quotes. Up to $1500 differences for the same work. Went with a large local contractor. 3 part pricing with the total only if I did all 3.

- Upgrade panel from 100 amp to 200 amp.
- 25 m run from basement to garage Teck 6/3 armoured cable, 40 amp breaker into a 14-50.
- Return later install Tesla WC and 60 amp breaker.
All permits and inspections included.
$2400 plus tax.

An uncomplicated stand alone 100 to 200 amp service/panel upgrade should be no more than $1500. Higher in major centres because they can.

In my case there was already 200 amps buried to the meter with only 100 to my panel. 11 year old house 100km outside the GTA. Got some quotes. Up to $1500 differences for the same work. Went with a large local contractor. 3 part pricing with the total only if I did all 3.

- 25 m run from basement to garage Teck 6/3 armoured cable, 40 amp breaker into a 14-50.
$2400 plus tax.

An uncomplicated stand alone 100 to 200 amp service/panel upgrade should be no more than $1500. Higher in major centres because they can.
There is a need to run a 200 amps cable to the panel also.

There is a need to run a 200 amps cable to the panel also.

Bringing 200 amps from the meter to the panel (6ft) was included in the 100 to 200 amp panel upgrade. It was a service/panel upgrade. Cost included the local utility shutting down the service for about 8 hours. The The Teck cable they used can be surface run or buried, wet or dry locations.

Last edited:
Bringing 200 amps from the meter to the panel (6ft) was included in the 100 to 200 amp panel upgrade. It was a service/panel upgrade. Cost included the local utility shutting down the service for about 8 hours. The The Teck cable they used can be surface run or buried, wet or dry locations.
Ok. I am in the same situation except the distance from the meter to panel is arround 25 feet.

We do not use the STove as we us Gas. So I have a redundant 60AMP+ there. However I believe ESA will not signup if we use that.

Ok. I am in the same situation except the distance from the meter to panel is arround 25 feet.

That would up the cost for sure with 25’ of 200 amp wire/conduit from the meter to the panel. My meter to panel was super simple. The panel is literally 5’ below the meter. Left side is the new 2” conduit 200 amp into the house:

816631B2-F63E-433A-B33B-AB1A55F3E2D8.jpeg

So if you have the original 240 stove circuit could you disconnect it from the panel, remove the breaker and possibly be able to add a 60 amp circuit? Your really only adding 20 additional amps however a car charging circuit is rated as continuous draw.
Suggested that and he said that ESA would not approve it. Code expects the allocation for the stove to be always kept even if not used.

Reactions: 03DSG

$2400 plus tax.

Is there a way to tell if there is 200 amp going to the meter? My house is also about 11 years old, but in Ottawa.

Is there a way to tell if there is 200 amp going to the meter? My house is also about 11 years old, but in Ottawa.

Call your utility. I called mine and they put me over to the sevice side and they verified that I had 200 amps buried up to the meter. He told me pretty well all houses with buried survices built in the last 20 years have 200 amps to the meter. Most builders only bring 100 into the house unless the original owner specified 200.
As well any time of use meters in Ontario will be 200 amp capable.

Reactions: navguy12
I had a electrition over yesterday. He says that I have to upgrade the panel from 100 to 200. I suggested he use the stove outlet as we use gas for cooking. He said the ESA would not approve it. So I think I have to upgrade. He yet to give me a quote. Anyone know how much this could set me back?
I had my ESA inspection done just last week and had no problems. I had the same situation as you that i use gas for cooking and no longer used the stove breaker. So I rewired to that breaker( actually got a new 40A breaker since old one was 30 years old)

It seems your electrician might be pulling a fast one on you. ESA inspector also told me that the 100A breaker can actually do 130A for 45 mins before tripping so I should not worry about it. He told me this when i started showing him my math for all the appliances and other powr consumption in the house

I had my ESA inspection done just last week and had no problems. I had the same situation as you that i use gas for cooking and no longer used the stove breaker. So I rewired to that breaker( actually got a new 40A breaker since old one was 30 years old)

It seems your electrician might be pulling a fast one on you. ESA inspector also told me that the 100A breaker can actually do 130A for 45 mins before tripping so I should not worry about it. He told me this when i started showing him my math for all the appliances and other powr consumption in the house
Not sure if Brampton is diffrent

Ontario wide code as mentioned. He also kept the circuit at the original 40 amps. Maybe that’s why it passed. Your intent is to upgrade to 60 amp to get the full use of the onboard 48 amp charger?
Yes, not only did i use 40A breaker as was previously on the stove circuit but also used similar 8 gauge electrical wire- rated at 40A which for electric car charging can be used to a max of 80% load or 32 A. All these details count. The only defect that the ESA found with my self-done wiring is that I had used the wrong clip size to attach the 8 gauge wireto the wall

I plan on using the UMC for charging at 32 A using 14-50 receptacle installed in garage

Reactions: 03DSG
That would up the cost for sure with 25’ of 200 amp wire/conduit from the meter to the panel. My meter to panel was super simple. The panel is literally 5’ below the meter. Left side is the new 2” conduit 200 amp into the house:

View attachment 296649
Is it possible to let me know the Electrician you used? I dropped my guy after I did not like the vibes after our second meeting. Had not done similar stuff and I got the feeling he was trying to get by by BSing