Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Installation in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Ottawa and just got my quote. I'm hitting $5k from a reliable contractor based on:
  • $2500 to go from 100 amp to 200 amp service with a new panel added in the garage near the charger (new meter base, panel, feed to existing panel - quite a lot of work by the sounds of it). It seems likely that there is 200 amps running to the house already - Hydro One to confirm - if not then I ain't getting the car because the numbers for digging up the street get scary!
  • $1k for the Tesla WC charger install (made higher to offset some of the first item).
  • Hydro One fees @ $750 to turn off for a few hours etc
  • Permits, misc items and taxes
Positive thing is they've done several Teslas already and I've used them before - they're very knowledgeable and great service. Hmmm...

I see this is a lot more than others are quoting but is it possible that my circumstances make the difference? Has anyone else ended up near $5k or heard of similar?

In Ottawa and just got my quote. I'm hitting $5k from a reliable contractor based on:
  • $2500 to go from 100 amp to 200 amp service with a new panel added in the garage near the charger (new meter base, panel, feed to existing panel - quite a lot of work by the sounds of it). It seems likely that there is 200 amps running to the house already - Hydro One to confirm - if not then I ain't getting the car because the numbers for digging up the street get scary!
  • $1k for the Tesla WC charger install (made higher to offset some of the first item).
Positive thing is they've done several Teslas already and I've used them before - they're very knowledgeable and great service. Hmmm...

I see this is a lot more than others are quoting but is it possible that my circumstances make the difference? Has anyone else ended up near $5k or heard of similar?

In Ottawa, I did 100 -> 200A upgrade 3 years ago.
$2,160 - upgrade with new panel (5' run from meter to panel),
charger install (60A breaker, 40' run from panel to garage),
ESA permit
shut-off switch by charger as per code.
$1,028 - Hydro Ottawa service fee to shut off / restore power during upgrade
$3,188 total includes HST.
1 guy did all the work in ~7 hours.

Also had a quote for same work & hydro fee for $6,268 (incl. HST), and other quotes in between.

In Ottawa, I did 100 -> 200A upgrade 3 years ago.
$2,160 - upgrade with new panel (5' run from meter to panel),
charger install (60A breaker, 40' run from panel to garage),
ESA permit
shut-off switch by charger as per code.
$1,028 - Hydro Ottawa service fee to shut off / restore power during upgrade
$3,188 total includes HST.
1 guy did all the work in ~7 hours.

Also had a quote for same work & hydro fee for $6,268 (incl. HST), and other quotes in between.

Wow.. these numbers are expensive! My DIY cost me $250 in materials from Home Depot, 8 hours of my time and $90 for the ESA permit. This allows me to use my existing 100 Amp service with max 32 Amp for the car in my power consumption situation. To be fair, I should also add 0.5 man week of planning time over previous 3 months including reading Ontario electrical code and reading lots of blogs and watching you tube videos to ensure I get it right.

Reactions: akidesir
Wow.. these numbers are expensive! My DIY cost me $250 in materials from Home Depot, 8 hours of my time and $90 for the ESA permit. This allows me to use my existing 100 Amp service with max 32 Amp for the car in my power consumption situation. To be fair, I should also add 0.5 man week of planning time over previous 3 months including reading Ontario electrical code and reading lots of blogs and watching you tube videos to ensure I get it right.

Yeah it's not pretty! I'd hoped my big spending was done by getting the car. I think being at my current panel max is the big issue. Despite what I've read in other places, our not using our stove circuit (we have gas) doesn't help. The capacity calculation also includes square footage and our current 100 amp service doesn't cover it. It all boils down to be needing a 200 amp service upgrade and a new panel for it versus just a new breaker, which would no doubt be cheaper - I assume that's essentially all you did. It sounds like Neil was in a similar position to me.

Yeah it's not pretty! I'd hoped my big spending was done by getting the car. I think being at my current panel max is the big issue. Despite what I've read in other places, our not using our stove circuit (we have gas) doesn't help. The capacity calculation also includes square footage and our current 100 amp service doesn't cover it. It all boils down to be needing a 200 amp service upgrade and a new panel for it versus just a new breaker, which would no doubt be cheaper - I assume that's essentially all you did. It sounds like Neil was in a similar position to me.

I used this calculator as my starting point:

Canadian Residential Electrical Service Size Calculator

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12

I looked at that option but didn't have any breaker space. Would have had to add a pony panel and I'd still only have 100A service. Decided to bite the bullet and go for new panel and upgrade, which meant I could go with 40A charger no worries and lots of room to expand. EV rebate dropped install by $500. :)

I could do it on my current panel if I switched the dryer to gas and got rid of A/C - so that's not happening!

I'm also thinking future-proof - if I want to go higher amps on the charger in future (hopefully the cars and batteries get better and better in a few years) I have a panel and a whole 100+ amps of extra capacity to play with.

I’m an hour east of the GTA. Local large contractor. Already had 200 amps buried to the meter. Did this last fall. Upgraded from 100 to 200 amp service and panel 5 ft run from the meter to the basement so not complicated. Then 25 m surface run with 6/3 Teck armour cable from basement to garage terminated in 14-50 on a 40 amp breaker (for now). For this with permits, ESA inspection and the towns shut down/startup was $2100 taxes in.
Coming back this month to install the Tesla WC I just received plus replace the 40 amp breaker with a 60 amp breaker and then another ESA inspection to get the certificate. $600 taxes in (easy install as wire is already there in the 14-50).
I realize this is a good price. I also believe the GTA demands (and gets) higher prices. Next closest estimate for me was over $1000 higher and probably influenced by the ‘Tesla factor’. My buddy who is an electrical contractor in another Ontario town told me not to pay over $1500 for my straight forward service/panel upgrade alone.
Prices above rounded off.

I’m an hour east of the GTA. Local large contractor. Already had 200 amps buried to the meter. Did this last fall. Upgraded from 100 to 200 amp service and panel 5 ft run from the meter to the basement so not complicated. Then 25 m surface run with 6/3 Teck armour cable from basement to garage terminated in 14-50 on a 40 amp breaker (for now). For this with permits, ESA inspection and the towns shut down/startup was $2100 taxes in.
Coming back this month to install the Tesla WC I just received plus replace the 40 amp breaker with a 60 amp breaker and then another ESA inspection to get the certificate. $600 taxes in (easy install as wire is already there in the 14-50).
I realize this is a good price. I also believe the GTA demands (and gets) higher prices. Next closest estimate for me was over $1000 higher and probably influenced by the ‘Tesla factor’. My buddy who is an electrical contractor in another Ontario town told me not to pay over $1500 for my straight forward service/panel upgrade alone.
Prices above rounded off.

Well firstly, does this guy fancy a road trip to Ottawa? :)

In all seriousness I’m thinking it was a slightly simpler job but still, very decent price by the sounds of it. In terms of GTA prices I find the opposite - they’re lower because there’s so much competition - it’s easier to get deals versus Ottawa with fewer companies and a lot less choice.

Well firstly, does this guy fancy a road trip to Ottawa? :)

In all seriousness I’m thinking it was a slightly simpler job but still, very decent price by the sounds of it. In terms of GTA prices I find the opposite - they’re lower because there’s so much competition - it’s easier to get deals versus Ottawa with fewer companies and a lot less choice.

Sorry. These guys are local only for small jobs like this. Good luck on your install!