TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

NEMA 14-50 Installation

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Windsurfer, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Windsurfer

Windsurfer New Member

In anticipation of the arrival of my Model S at the end of the month, I'm having an electrician rewire my garage for a 100 amp circuit to the junction box, with a 50 amp circuit to a NEMA 14-50 outlet for charging.

Since my daily commute is less than 25 miles, I see no need for HPWC or dual chargers.

I'm wondering where to tell the electrician to place the outlet.

Obviously closest in the garage to the left tail light makes sense, but I'm wondering what height I should ask him to install the outlet?

Also, what are others doing to coil the charging cord when not in use? Garden hose holder?

This is my first post on this site, but I've been lurking for about two months. I've learned a tremendous amount already, and, after 4 Priuses (and a Ferrari Testarossa) I'm looking forward to making the leap to all electric.

2. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I installed mine around 48 inches of the floor for ease of hooking and unhooking and wrapping the cable. I got the Pit Posse stainless steel unit.

Attached Files:

3. Andercam

Andercam Member

Why did you install it all upside down? :biggrin:

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Why the time clock?

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Good question, this was installed well before I took delivery and not knowing what the new firmware would be I put this in so I could turn on and off when I wanted to. Not needed anymore, so do not use it.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I did not know that they made an intermatic that could handle 50 amps!

7. WarrenT

WarrenT Member

8. caddieo

caddieo Member

I suppose you said this because the ground connection is up at the 12 o'clock position. This is to conform to the configuration of the UMC which also has the ground up. To do otherwise would be to force the UMC curve to point up and then down instead of hanging naturally straight downwards.

9. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

For $25 that Tesla cable organizer is great. Not obvious is that the plug "plugs" into the cable organizer instead of having to drape it loosely over something. Very nice. The Nema 14-50 can be anywhere 3-4 feet above ground, to allow the UMC to hang down from the plug.

10. JPP

JPP Active Member

11. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

They don't, I was going to dial down the amps, I do not normally charge at 40 anyway.

12. liuping

liuping Active Member

I think he said that because Firefox displays the image upside down for some reason. If I save it and view it, it's right side up. Wierd

13. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

To JPP and Post #10:

Stairways and electrical cables - oh no! PLEASE do something about that!

Nothing will happen today, or tomorrow, but some day.... :(

14. Andercam

Andercam Member

Correct... the image is upside down for me. I'm viewing it in IE though.
    Apparently not everybody is seeing it upside down.
    Just trying to be a smarta$$.:redface:

15. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Interesting. The image is right side up on my iPad but upside down in my Chrome browser on my PC....

- - - Updated - - -

@JPP - seriously consider putting in an enclosed raceway along the bottom of the stairs for the cable, or clip it down, or even better put in ceiling hooks and drape the connector down from the ceiling. That is an accident waiting to happen. Maybe not to you that uses it every day, but some unsuspecting person will trip on it...

16. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

17. JPP

JPP Active Member

AudobonB--no worries. This is a rarely used staircase to an unfinished attic/storage space. I'm the only one going up there and I would disconnect the UMC if I needed to go up the stairs. No kids, no seniors with impaired vision/ambulation.

Thx for the concern.

BTW, fond memories of visiting relatives in AK a while ago and doing the yellow school bus tour of Denali (plus some private flights at 11 pm in the summer to see glaciers)--really many magnificent things to see. Not sure if I could take the weather (or mosquitoes) on a regular basis... :)

18. Crispix

Crispix Member

A few feet off the ground is fine. I think height is less important and pretty subjective once you have the outlet located near the charge port.

Me, I put my outlet near the charge port and have a wire shelf installed underneath the outlet. I just coil the UMC cable on the shelf and it keeps itself tidy. The shelf is convenient too because I keep some window cleaner and a pile of microfiber towels next to the charge cable. When I unplug the cable in the morning the Windex is right there and I can wipe down the windows before leaving the house. Yes, that's my OCD manifesting itself.

19. MarkR

MarkR Member