Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In anticipation of the arrival of my Model S at the end of the month, I'm having an electrician rewire my garage for a 100 amp circuit to the junction box, with a 50 amp circuit to a NEMA 14-50 outlet for charging.

Since my daily commute is less than 25 miles, I see no need for HPWC or dual chargers.

I'm wondering where to tell the electrician to place the outlet.

Obviously closest in the garage to the left tail light makes sense, but I'm wondering what height I should ask him to install the outlet?

Also, what are others doing to coil the charging cord when not in use? Garden hose holder?

This is my first post on this site, but I've been lurking for about two months. I've learned a tremendous amount already, and, after 4 Priuses (and a Ferrari Testarossa) I'm looking forward to making the leap to all electric.

I installed mine around 48 inches of the floor for ease of hooking and unhooking and wrapping the cable. I got the Pit Posse stainless steel unit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 1,158
For $25 that Tesla cable organizer is great. Not obvious is that the plug "plugs" into the cable organizer instead of having to drape it loosely over something. Very nice. The Nema 14-50 can be anywhere 3-4 feet above ground, to allow the UMC to hang down from the plug.

To JPP and Post #10:

Stairways and electrical cables - oh no! PLEASE do something about that!

Nothing will happen today, or tomorrow, but some day.... :(

Interesting. The image is right side up on my iPad but upside down in my Chrome browser on my PC....

- - - Updated - - -

@JPP - seriously consider putting in an enclosed raceway along the bottom of the stairs for the cable, or clip it down, or even better put in ceiling hooks and drape the connector down from the ceiling. That is an accident waiting to happen. Maybe not to you that uses it every day, but some unsuspecting person will trip on it...

AudobonB--no worries. This is a rarely used staircase to an unfinished attic/storage space. I'm the only one going up there and I would disconnect the UMC if I needed to go up the stairs. No kids, no seniors with impaired vision/ambulation.

Thx for the concern.

BTW, fond memories of visiting relatives in AK a while ago and doing the yellow school bus tour of Denali (plus some private flights at 11 pm in the summer to see glaciers)--really many magnificent things to see. Not sure if I could take the weather (or mosquitoes) on a regular basis... :)

I'm wondering where to tell the electrician to place the outlet.

Obviously closest in the garage to the left tail light makes sense, but I'm wondering what height I should ask him to install the outlet?

Also, what are others doing to coil the charging cord when not in use? Garden hose holder?

A few feet off the ground is fine. I think height is less important and pretty subjective once you have the outlet located near the charge port.

Me, I put my outlet near the charge port and have a wire shelf installed underneath the outlet. I just coil the UMC cable on the shelf and it keeps itself tidy. The shelf is convenient too because I keep some window cleaner and a pile of microfiber towels next to the charge cable. When I unplug the cable in the morning the Windex is right there and I can wipe down the windows before leaving the house. Yes, that's my OCD manifesting itself.