Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 instead of 6-50 for charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an opportunity to put in a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 for the same installation cost (having a 50A subpanel built also) for dedicated EV charging. The house already has a 6-50 outlet being used for another appliance, and I happen to have an extra 6-50 receptacle lying around. However, my research indicates that NEMA 14-50 is more future-proof, and also widely available at RV parks. Just wanted to confirm that I'm making the wisest choice going with NEMA 14-50 over 6-50 (of course I'll have to buy a new 14-50 receptacle and box).

If you have already the 6-50, then you can install it,
but when putting the wires, include a wire for the Neutral,
even it it will not be connected, so in the future you could replace the 6-50 with a 14-50.
when selling your house for example.

You will need to get a 6-50 Tesla adapter. However, if you plan to plug into an RV park,
you will then need a 14-50 Tesla adapter,

So you have to decide between buying a new 14-50 receptacle and a 14-50 Tesla adapter,
or to buy a 6-50 and a 14-50 Tesla adapter.

Note: You might find this video of interest:

I suggest the Wall Connector instead of either.

1. Unless the 6-50 outlet you have is commercial grade, you will need a new one at about $50, plus a GFIC breaker at $100, plus the 14-50 or 6-50 adapter at $45, plus some sort of cable management system, at say $30. This totals at least $225; the wall connector is $400 plus a $10 breaker, which makes it only $185 or less extra.
  2. The wall connector will charge the car at 40 amps (on a 50 amp circuit) while the mobile connector tops out at 32 amps.
  3. The connector has build in power sharing if you add more units later
  4. You can then keep the mobile connector in the car so it is not forgotten, when needed
  5. The wall connector requires only two hots and a ground. But if you want to future proof you can run a neutral and just cap it.
As to RV parks, yes you can get a 14-50 adapter for them but unless you plan on camping I think you may find using SuperChargers is better,

Last edited:
Reactions: Acps110
I suggest the Wall Connector instead of either.

1. Unless the 6-50 outlet you have is commercial grade, you will need a new one at about $50, plus a GFIC breaker at $100, plus the 14-50 or 6-50 adapter at $45, plus some sort of cable management system, at say $30. This totals at least $225; the wall connector is $400 plus a $10 breaker, which makes it only $185 or less extra.
  2. The wall connector will charge the car at 40 amps (on a 50 amp circuit) while the mobile connector tops out at 32 amps.
  3. The connector has build in power sharing if you add more units later
  4. You can then keep the mobile connector in the car so it is not forgotten, when needed
  5. The wall connector requires only two hots and a ground. But if you want to future proof you can run a neutral and just cap it.
As to RV parks, yes you can get a 14-50 adapter for them but unless you plan on camping I think you may find using SuperChargers is better,
Yes, certainly installing a Tesla wall connector since the price is now down to $400 and the cord is extended to 24 ft, I think it was 10 ft and 18 ft before.
This save the cost of the GFCI breaker, but still include the Neutral wire even if it will not be connected, in case you want to remove the wall connector.

Otherwise, if you prefer installing a receptacle with a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50, you should also install a bracket to hold the weight of the UMC.

@CyanideDN Something you didn't talk is finding the location for your charging spot. There are many threads on this topic.

Typically, you want to avoid the cable to be on your way when charging when walking in your garage,
or maybe you want to be able to park your car both inside and outside your garage.

Also, when possible, try getting your Tesla plug dangling from above your car and just above the charging door,
to avoid having the cable laying on the floor.

If you have a 6-50 outlet already that you can use for your Tesla - just use that. You can always buy the 14-50 pigtail for your portable connector if you anticipate going to RV parks. There's nothing more "future proof" about a 14-50 outlet. 14-50 is used for RVs and allows 120v and 240v when an RV is connected. 6-50 is usually used for welders. Neither one is more "future proof" and the Tesla doesn't prefer one over the other. Technically, there's one less wire to run with a 6-50 and the tesla wall connector (if you go that route) uses the same number of wires as a 6-50.

If the 6-50 you're referring to isn't available for your Tesla, I'd echo the previous post about just going with a wall connector.

If you have a 6-50 outlet already that you can use for your Tesla - just use that. You can always buy the 14-50 pigtail for your portable connector if you anticipate going to RV parks. There's nothing more "future proof" about a 14-50 outlet. 14-50 is used for RVs and allows 120v and 240v when an RV is connected. 6-50 is usually used for welders. Neither one is more "future proof" and the Tesla doesn't prefer one over the other. Technically, there's one less wire to run with a 6-50 and the tesla wall connector (if you go that route) uses the same number of wires as a 6-50.

If the 6-50 you're referring to isn't available for your Tesla, I'd echo the previous post about just going with a wall connector.
Well full disclosure this location is my parent's house and the 6-50 is deep inside the garage which won't be accessible due to their belongings. I won't be able to throw out their stuff to make room for my car to charge when I'm over. However they do have a separate 50Amp subpanel outside the garage next to the main break box that my dad put in (electrician). Hence I'm deciding whether to put in a 14-50 outlet or try and reuse the 6-50 receptacle since I'm fronting the cost to get this plug placed next to the 50Amp subpanel.

I don't think we will do the Tesla Wall Charger because we might not stick with Tesla for future EVs so a 240v outlet is most futureproof for whatever car we get in the future.

Hence I'm deciding whether to put in a 14-50 outlet or try and reuse the 6-50 receptacle since I'm fronting the cost to get this plug placed next to the 50Amp subpanel.
Neither of these (plugs or mobile connector) is a water proof option, so you will have to spend even more money in dealing with that.
I don't think we will do the Tesla Wall Charger because we might not stick with Tesla for future EVs so a 240v outlet is most futureproof for whatever car we get in the future.
It is pretty easy to replace one hardwire solution with another. Pretty much all of the EV stations are 240v requiring only two hots and a ground. Of course you could install a charger with a J1772 plug now and simply use the J1772 to Tesla adapter with it. But if you know you will have the Tesla for a number of years I suggest not concerning yourself with worrying about "someday" in the future.

Reactions: Eric33432
I have an opportunity to put in a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 for the same installation cost (having a 50A subpanel built also) for dedicated EV charging. The house already has a 6-50 outlet being used for another appliance, and I happen to have an extra 6-50 receptacle lying around. However, my research indicates that NEMA 14-50 is more future-proof, and also widely available at RV parks. Just wanted to confirm that I'm making the wisest choice going with NEMA 14-50 over 6-50 (of course I'll have to buy a new 14-50 receptacle and box).
I am happy with my NEMA 14-50 outlet. I see a sustained 28-29 miles per hour charge at 32 amps using the supplied mobile connector.
I'd go with the 14-50.