Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 location - low or high off ground?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
where do you guys recommend placing the NEMA 14-50 outlet? close to the ground like most outlets? eye level? i haven't received my car yet so i'm not sure all the hardware looks like...

i called a 'freelance' electrician who would do it for only $150.. any comments on that versus a licensed electrician who wants $600+?

thanks.

I prefer waist level. Easier to plug and unplug.

I normally go with licensed electricians for stuff I can't do myself, just for peace of mind. Remember that this connection will be running at close to max amperage for many hours at a time, so it's a pretty critical install to get correct.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Agree with @Az_Rael on all points.

To put in perspective, I learned on this forum that a 14-50 is what is used for electric ovens. Depending on how much you use your car you could be running that outlet for several hours. Now imagine running your electric oven for several hours with a cheap install, hopefully the breaker will protect you...

Also you want to make sure your permitting is done correctly as well which is hopefully included with the 600+ offer. Double check with both parties.

image.jpg

48" off the ground is normal. A bracket to hold the box removes the pressure from the plug.

Same here, 48" for my 14-30 and 60" for my HPWC as it really is about proper strain relief and cable support so as not to stress any connection points along with ease of use for the UMC, HPWC, and WC.

Like @JPP posted, 'ground up' for 240v (tesla) receptacles.

Last edited:
where do you guys recommend placing the NEMA 14-50 outlet? close to the ground like most outlets? eye level? i haven't received my car yet so i'm not sure all the hardware looks like...

i called a 'freelance' electrician who would do it for only $150.. any comments on that versus a licensed electrician who wants $600+?

thanks.
I just built a garage and put all of the outlets (both 120v and 240 volts) at chest level (about 4' off the floor). Much easier to plug and unplug. I had the electrician put two NEMA 14-50 outlets (one on each side of the garage) and I have a HPWC with a 14-50 plug so I can move it from one side to the other. Don't know the cost since this was done as part of the garage project.
However, it's not usually difficult to put a plug in the garage since there is usually a service panel close by so it's easy to run a wire.
Before I had the garage, I installed a 14-50 outdoor service box on the side of the house with a buried conduit which was a little more difficult (digging) but I did that myself.

I got mine installed near the floor. There is a specification I think of how high off the floor it has to be, and I went with about whatever that minimum was. I did that so that the electronics box on the cable does rest of the floor, holding its weight, so I don't have to put in a bracket or straps or anything to hold it. Then the cable goes up and loops over a hook I have mounted on the wall at about eye level. I hear what people are saying about higher being easier for plugging/unplugging, but I only unplug it about three times a year when I go out of town on a trip, so that's not much of an issue.

thanks all helpful.. do you guys usually keep the charging cables plugged in to the outlet at all times, and plug it into the car when charging is necessary? if so, height doesn't really matter, right?

if my plan is to ultimately get a second tesla (such as the model 3), is there anything i should consider now when getting the NEMA 14-50 installed? easier to install two outlets now rather than one?

thanks all helpful.. do you guys usually keep the charging cables plugged in to the outlet at all times, and plug it into the car when charging is necessary? if so, height doesn't really matter, right?

if my plan is to ultimately get a second tesla (such as the model 3), is there anything i should consider now when getting the NEMA 14-50 installed? easier to install two outlets now rather than one?
Electricians charge by the hour with a minimum amount regardless of time spent, so it will almost always be less expensive to put in as much as you can in one go.