Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 or Hardwire ChargePoint electric company paying for service upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I go for the 14-50 or hardwire the ChargePoint? I am getting a 200 amp service upgrade which will be paid for by PSEG NJ electric service provider.

Hardwire: if I get another charger I would have to hire the electrician to come back and install the new charger. (This is only if something goes wrong or I decide to go with a Tesla charger in the future). Right now they only accept the use of a ChargePoint and JuiceBox charger to get this service upgrade for free. You cannot just get 14-50 install and use the Tesla 14-50 adapter.

Any things I should look for in the quotes for the service? I am choosing between 3 electricians I am basically choosing based reviews (all are good) but want to make sure they're offering the right wiring etc. Thanks
One indication the electrician is good is knowledge of the local code/requirements are. Specifically, whether a GFCI breaker is required on not. Have them come out to survey and show/tell you how they will do the job.

i paid for my Chargepoint NEMA 14-50 install and sacrificed a 60A ckt for the flexibility of a plug-in so i can easily take my Charger should i relocate.

The Charger is actually inside the Tesla vehicle, tucked up close to the battery. The charger's job is to convert AC voltage to DC voltage so the battery can be charged. The Chargepoint, other similar equipment is the electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE.) This is the proper term whether plug in or hard wired, or Tesla specific such as the Wall Connector or Mobile Connector. The EVSE's job is to connect the utility power to the vehicle safely and with the maximum charging amperage extablished between the electric vehicle and the EVSE prior to starting to charge. You'll be the life of the party and the envy of others when you correctly identify this equipment.

One indication the electrician is good is knowledge of the local code/requirements are. Specifically, whether a GFCI breaker is required on not. Have them come out to survey and show/tell you how they will do the job.

i paid for my Chargepoint NEMA 14-50 install and sacrificed a 60A ckt for the flexibility of a plug-in so i can easily take my Charger should i relocate.
I ended up getting 14-50 and hardwired. So I can charge 2 cars at the same time. It was a bit extra to have this done but it's worth it to me.

Reactions: Corndart
Should I go for the 14-50 or hardwire the ChargePoint? I am getting a 200 amp service upgrade which will be paid for by PSEG NJ electric service provider.

Hardwire: if I get another charger I would have to hire the electrician to come back and install the new charger. (This is only if something goes wrong or I decide to go with a Tesla charger in the future). Right now they only accept the use of a ChargePoint and JuiceBox charger to get this service upgrade for free. You cannot just get 14-50 install and use the Tesla 14-50 adapter.

Any things I should look for in the quotes for the service? I am choosing between 3 electricians I am basically choosing based reviews (all are good) but want to make sure they're offering the right wiring etc. Thanks
im in NJ going through the process now. did you get a bill credit from PSEG or a cash rebate ? please share details

Thanks. I just put in the app. I got a charge point and I’m upgrading my service to 200 amps. I’ll let you guys know my experience
Did you get it done? DO you have a water heater? Because the inspector came and didn't pass the inspection because it wasn't grounded to the water heater and a few other things. They did come back and fix the other issues but did not ground the gas water heater. They said they had to come back to do it. I will see if they come back today.

Because the inspector came and didn't pass the inspection because it wasn't grounded to the water heater
I think you are mixing this up, because that doesn't make sense. That is not a requirement. You have another thread titled "Did electrician for charger ground to your water heater?"

I think you got confused about what was said and what was required. You had this sentence in there:

"It also did not pass because he said the water heater should be grounded."

OK, yes, now that makes sense. You said there were a few things flagged in the inspection, and this would be one of them. But it is a standalone thing that has nothing to do with electric car charging equipment, and there definitely is no requirement for the car charging device to be grounded TO the water heater. The water heater just needs to have a ground.

I think you are mixing this up, because that doesn't make sense. That is not a requirement. You have another thread titled "Did electrician for charger ground to your water heater?"

I think you got confused about what was said and what was required. You had this sentence in there:

"It also did not pass because he said the water heater should be grounded."

OK, yes, now that makes sense. You said there were a few things flagged in the inspection, and this would be one of them. But it is a standalone thing that has nothing to do with electric car charging equipment, and there definitely is no requirement for the car charging device to be grounded TO the water heater. The water heater just needs to have a ground.
"OK, yes, now that makes sense. You said there were a few things flagged in the inspection, and this would be one of them. But it is a standalone thing that has nothing to do with electric car charging equipment, and there definitely is no requirement for the car charging device to be grounded TO the water heater. The water heater just needs to have a ground."

To answer your above statement, I think it is requirement because I had a full service upgrade not just car charger. The ground would not be for car charging device.

To answer your above statement, I think it is requirement
It's definitely not. There is no requirement that a car charger has to be grounded TO a hot water heater. That's just not a thing at all. There is no relation in code for water heaters to car chargers.

because I had a full service upgrade not just car charger. The ground would not be for car charging device.
Then you had a project of larger scope, and the inspection will be very broad. When someone does an inspection, they usually aren't just going to look at only one thing and only mention one thing. If they are looking at various things, they will tell about every thing they noticed as flagged for needing to be corrected. And if they noticed that the water heater or air conditioner or something else has some violation that needs to be corrected, then they will say that, as well as any other violations they noticed.

If the home has metal water pipes then the water pipes are required to be properly grounded. Installing a ground strap (two clamps and a short length of #6 wire) between the cold water supply entering the water heater and the hot water pipe from the water heater is required in some jurisdictions. This is true of both gas fired and electric water heaters. The ground strap ensures that the hot water pipes do not become electrically isolated from the cold water pipes, maintain a good ground. (This has nothing to do with the EV charging circuit; the inspector noted a deficiency in the home's wiring that needed to be corrected.)

Oh, right. Those are two things that are kind of separate but can be indirectly related:
1. Equipment needing to be grounded.
2. One of the allowed grounding methods in a house can be attaching it to a grounded metal water pipe.
They actually came this morning and grounded the water heater. This seems to be required since they upgraded my service. The Ev charger just happened to be installed as well.

Reactions: Rocky_H
You could do something like I did, which is both a hardwired charger and a 14-50 plug.

View attachment 740626

Before any of the armchair or IRL electricians get out their pitchforks and torches, yes everything you see are on separate breakers, installed by a professional, permitted, inspected and signed off.

No issues with box fill there? It’s gotta be close.

Also it’s bonding to the water pipes, not grounding.

Hi All,
I've noticed someone saying the chargepoint or juicebox are not charging the tesla's correctly. Can someone please update they should do fine and i can go with the rebate. is there any difference in getting those instead of the Tesla one?
Thanks in Advance