Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 or Hardwire ChargePoint electric company paying for service upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use a Juicebox 40 at my lake house. It works just fine to charge a Tesla. Aside from the physical connection, there isn't much difference between that and a wall connector. If there's a significant incentive, I would definitely consider this as an option. You could always swap it out later for a HPWC if you really didn't like it.

I picked the electrician closest to me just in case I don't get the charger on time. It would cost them nothing to come back. They're 3 blocks away from me. The quote is $3705 that includes $85 for permit paperwork. So it is under the $5000. The other electrician had upsells included in the quote so I decided to eliminate them from my choice. Even without the upgrades they're pretty close to that $5000 max.
I'm in a similar boat, have PSE&G and need to upgrade the service from 100A to 200A. I read the rest of your thread. Just wanted to confirm if PSEG eventually approved you for the full $3,705 back, or if you ran into other issues that I should be aware of.

If the home has metal water pipes then the water pipes are required to be properly grounded. Installing a ground strap (two clamps and a short length of #6 wire) between the cold water supply entering the water heater and the hot water pipe from the water heater is required in some jurisdictions. This is true of both gas fired and electric water heaters. The ground strap ensures that the hot water pipes do not become electrically isolated from the cold water pipes, maintain a good ground. (This has nothing to do with the EV charging circuit; the inspector noted a deficiency in the home's wiring that needed to be corrected.)
You are correct!

Attachments

• Hot Water Heater Ground IMG_7922.JPG
    Hot Water Heater Ground IMG_7922.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 91
Should I go for the 14-50 or hardwire the ChargePoint? I am getting a 200 amp service upgrade which will be paid for by PSEG NJ electric service provider.

Hardwire: if I get another charger I would have to hire the electrician to come back and install the new charger. (This is only if something goes wrong or I decide to go with a Tesla charger in the future). Right now they only accept the use of a ChargePoint and JuiceBox charger to get this service upgrade for free. You cannot just get 14-50 install and use the Tesla 14-50 adapter.

Any things I should look for in the quotes for the service? I am choosing between 3 electricians I am basically choosing based reviews (all are good) but want to make sure they're offering the right wiring etc. Thanks
CAn you please share the electrician details which you used . I am also looking to utilize the PSEG rebate.

Received today from PSE&G

woo hoo

PSE&G Electric Vehicle Charging Program Application Status : Qualified

Dear HOWARD .........,

Congratulations your EV Application has been qualified for the PSE&G Electric Vehicle Charging Program.

You are eligible to receive make-ready incentives (Behind the Meter [BTM] and Pole to Meter [PTM] incentives).

To be eligible to receive the residential off-peak charging credit, PSE&G needs data directly from the charger. Therefore, the Participant must be using a Level 2 Smart Charger from the approved PSE&G List. We are working closely with other manufacturers to finalize data sharing arrangements to expand this list. You will receive an email notification when your charger is added to the approved PSE&G List.

Please log into the EV Portal to track down application status.

Next Steps:

1. Please see attached service upgrade form(s). This will need to be completed by your electrician and emailed to [email protected].

a. Please be sure to have the electrician/general contractor annotate the application as “EV Charger” so that it can be assigned to the appropriate group for processing.

2. For information regarding the status specific to your service upgrade form, please contact our Construction Inquiry Department at 1-800-722-0256.

Once the work is complete, please upload the required documents to enroll in the program. Please check the documents section in your EV Dashboard for more details.

The following is the application information provided:
Application Number: EV..................
Applicant Name: HOWARD ............
Date of Application: 04/07/2022 01:00 PM
Application Status: Qualified

Please feel free to contact us if there are any questions or concerns.

Regards,
PSE&G EV Team,
Phone:
Email: [email protected]

Note: This is an automated email from the eTrack+ system. Please contact the Program Manager or the System Administrator for any further clarifications.

I'm in a similar boat, have PSE&G and need to upgrade the service from 100A to 200A. I read the rest of your thread. Just wanted to confirm if PSEG eventually approved you for the full $3,705 back, or if you ran into other issues that I should be aware of.
I will
Let you know. Pseg pays for the install of the charger up to 1500.I was told the 5000 dollars is what they use if they need to upgrade the transformer or something. I’m in process now so I’ll let you know.

Is having a 14-50 installed the cheapest way? I live in a condo with no chargers. Currently just using the regular outlet to charge, as well as Super Charger and other chargers around the city to get majority of my charge.

Regular outlet is way too slow, obviously. Looking to have them install a 14-50. Can I truly get about 30 miles per hour of charge? And how expensive is it, approximately?

Thanks.

-Noob

Is having a 14-50 installed the cheapest way?
Not necessarily the least expensive. If you have to purchase the Tesla Mobile Connector then the 14-50 receptacle and Mobile Connector end up being more expensive than purchasing the Tesla Wall Connector.

Yes, when charging using a 240 Volt, 50 amp circuit up to 29 miles of range can be added per hour while charging using the Tesla Mobile Connector (limited to 32 amps), a bit more if you use the Tesla Wall Connector (would be enable charging at 40 amps on a 50 amp circuit that is hard wired (no 14-50 receptacle and plug.)

You should find out from an electrician if there is additional capacity in the electrical service panel for your condo to add a 50 amp circuit. There are lower amperage 240V circuits including 20, 30, 40 that can also enable you to charge at more than 4X or more your current charging speed.

20 amp, up to 14 miles added per hour
30 amp, up to 21 miles added per hour
40 amp, up to 29 miles added per hour
50 amp, up to 36 miles added per hour
60 amp, up to 42 miles added per hour

Assuming you drive 30 miles per day, on average what most people drive, any of these would be able to add 30 miles in approximately two hours or less when charging. If the electrician tells you that you can only add a maximum of a 30 amp circuit that would enable you to add up to 21 miles per hour when charging.

Just completed my install through the PSEG program. Upgrades to 200 amp. Wall installl hardwired charger. Refund of $1500 for BTM the 5000 rebate is for them upgrade the transformers or whatever. So the most you’ll get is 1500. I spent 3700. So it was worth it to me
Did you complete the residential electric load data inquiry yourself? My electrician is taking so long to send it out. It's difficult getting them on the phone and email. I would fill it out myself but I don't know what I am doing lol.

Did you complete the residential electric load data inquiry yourself? My electrician is taking so long to send it out. It's difficult getting them on the phone and email. I would fill it out myself but I don't know what I am doing lol.
I used an electrician recommended by Tesla. They did an excellent job and promptly filled out the PSE&G form and submitted it.
Within a couple of days (6) I received an email from PSE&G

Subject: PSE&G Electric Vehicle Charging Program Application Status : Documents Submitted

I'm also in NJ and my Tesla is arriving soon so prepping the garage for charging.

My panel says 150AMPS MAX Main Breaker Rating and 200AMPS MAX Bus Rating. It is located in the garage on the side where I would park the EV.

I'm contemplating either just getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and buying the NEMA adapter or getting a Juicebox with the PSEG rebate for the electrical work. Depends on what the quote for the electrical work comes out at. I guess if its more than the cost of the Juicebox, I should just get the charger. Does the Eesla come with the SAE J1227 adapter in the charging kit or would I need to buy that separately?

Any advice on electricians or what I should ask for when getting quotes? I assume that mark a premium as soon as they know I'm getting a Tesla or trying to apply for the PSEG program.

I used an electrician recommended by Tesla. They did an excellent job and promptly filled out the PSE&G form and submitted it.
Within a couple of days (6) I received an email from PSE&G

Subject: PSE&G Electric Vehicle Charging Program Application Status : Documents Submitted

howardnj - which charger did you install?

Last edited:
I'm also in NJ and my Tesla is arriving soon so prepping the garage for charging.

My panel says 150AMPS MAX Main Breaker Rating and 200AMPS MAX Bus Rating. It is located in the garage on the side where I would park the EV.

I'm contemplating either just getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed and buying the NEMA adapter or getting a Juicebox with the PSEG rebate for the electrical work. Depends on what the quote for the electrical work comes out at. I guess if its more than the cost of the Juicebox, I should just get the charger. Does the Eesla come with the SAE J1227 adapter in the charging kit or would I need to buy that separately?

Any advice on electricians or what I should ask for when getting quotes? I assume that mark a premium as soon as they know I'm getting a Tesla or trying to apply for the PSEG program.

howardnj - which charger did you install?
Gen 3 Tesla HPWC

Does the Eesla come with the SAE J1227 adapter in the charging kit or would I need to buy that separately?
Yes, every Tesla car does come with the J1772 adapter. The thing that has changed recently is for newer orders to not include the mobile charging cable. So getting some kind of wall unit (either Tesla or J1772 type) is becoming much more sensible than trying to do an outlet.

Reactions: howardnj