Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14 - 50 or Wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a MX and now trying to figure out the home charging. I am using MX for regular commute. Currently with Covid, my usage is minimal.
I am trying to decide between getting a NEMA 14 - 50 outlet and using the mobile charger vs having a wall charger (Gen 3).
Talking with the electrician, he recommended adding a 50 amp circuit. Looking at the charge rate, it looks very comparable.
Mobile charger would charge at 20 mph where was wall connector would charge at 25 mph.
With wall charger, I would have to pay for wall connector + installation with NEMA outlet, I would just pay for outlet install.
So I am debating if $500 extra is worth paying if I get similar charge rate with mobile connector.
So folks out here, what is our experience with using mobile charger with NEMA 14 - 50 vs wall connector.
Please help me make the decision.

Wall connector is good if u want to keep the mobile connector with you In car ...previously Tesla’s could charge at a higher rate ...ie my first Tesla could charge up to 80amps ...my current X can go up to 72a ...that’s where the wall connector had an advantage as 14-50 cannot charge that high ...newer Xs are limited to 48a charging so not much difference in charge rate ..the wall connector also allows sharing of circuit across multiple wall connectors if you have another Tesla in your future ..otherwise 14-50 is good just get a high quality plug

We installed two Wall Connectors (HWPCs) for our S 100D and X 100D - both charging at 48A (one is on a 60A circuit, the other on a 100A circuit).

When we installed our solar panels and PowerWalls, we had the electricians add a 14-50 outlet to the solar/PW system, to use for emergency charging during an extended power outage (hurricanes) - and have a Tesla 50A connector for that outlet.

As it turned out, it was fortunate we did that, because we purchased a new RV several months ago, and now use the 14-50 outlet for providing power to the RV when it's at the house before or after trips.

Having a 14-50 outlet provides flexibility to not only charge Tesla vehicles - but also to provide power for other uses (which we didn't anticipate when we had the outlet added to our garage).

A 14-50 outlet will be limited to 40A of charging, which is less than the 48A which is the limit for current production Tesla vehicles. For overnight charging, the difference between 40A and 48A isn't significant - 40A should be able to recharge a vehicle overnight.

Honestly, my approach was to use the NEMA 14-50 because it's more generic. I've got 2 other EV's and as a hard wired charger can only be used for the Tesla, I figured I'd have more flexibility leveraging the mobile charger. Sure it's slower, but not THAT much slower.

I went through all 4 scenarios below:

1) NEMA 14-50 with mobile connector. The mobile connector is short and we have 2 MXs, so my wife and I constantly have to remember whose day it is to charge. We got tired of that, so when we got our reward referral HPWC, we pigtailed it to a NEMA 14-50 connector to use the same plug, but now we can park anywhere and can still charge using the 20' connector. Then we moved.
2) Our new house has 2x200A service, so we removed the pigtail, had electrician hardwire HPWC in to 100A breaker, could charge both cars at 72A. Sweet! Until we had solar panels installed. They had to downgrade one of the 200A circuit to 150A so they could hook the solar panels to it. Had to remove the 100A HPWC line, went back to a NEMA 14-50 with HPWC pigtailed.
3) HPWC pigtail started to burn up. Here's the thread on that:
HPWC fried wire. Still usable?
4) Got another HPWC. We hardwired it using a 2-AWG wire to a killswitch, which is wired to a 50A breaker. We are now using it at 40A charging, but with 2-AWG wire so no risk of frying the wires.

We have 2 nema 14-50 outlets, one on each side of garage. I went with this because for home use it's plenty fast and more versatile for the future. Works great, haven't myself really figured out any other benefits of wall charger other than looks and slightly faster charge speed.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If this has already been answered, I apologize up front. Have a new MX on order with October delivery date. I've started the investigation into the two options and received my first quote for each option and was very surprised at the cost for each option. The quote I got for the HPWC installation was ~$4,300 and for the 14-50 NEMA it was around $2,000. The quote stated 110' of wire and everything to complete each installation. My initial reaction to both quotes was WOW...

My question is, what have others seen for the cost of each option? I'm in the Kansas City area, so I realize that there will be some variance in costs due to location. What should I "expect" to see for quotes?

If this has already been answered, I apologize up front. Have a new MX on order with October delivery date. I've started the investigation into the two options and received my first quote for each option and was very surprised at the cost for each option. The quote I got for the HPWC installation was ~$4,300 and for the 14-50 NEMA it was around $2,000. The quote stated 110' of wire and everything to complete each installation. My initial reaction to both quotes was WOW...

My question is, what have others seen for the cost of each option? I'm in the Kansas City area, so I realize that there will be some variance in costs due to location. What should I "expect" to see for quotes?
If the quote is for the same wiring for both options, then the difference between the two quotes appears too high, even if they are including the cost of the HPWC in the higher quote. Time-wise, there is not much difference in installing a HPWC or a 14-50 outlet - most of the time and effort of either install is installing the wire from the circuit panel to the installation location.

Wow 110'. That is a long run. How is it being routed? Are they having to run it through the attic, outside, etc.?

Another question is the difference between the 2 prices seems high. Would the outlet and HPWC be in the same position?

And of course, as with most home upgrades, get multiple quotes.

FWIW, I believe we paid $800 or so to the electrician to install our HPWC. That including adding the breaker to the panel in the garage, running about 20' of wire into the ceiling and down a support post, mounting HPWC to support post, and wiring up HPWC. All done with permit. The cost does not include retaping and mudding the ceiling and support post since we were remodeling at the time and had the wallboard crew on-site already.

Last edited:
I agree that there's too much difference between the two. Yes, the ampacity is different (50A vs 60A), but not enough to cause a >2x price change. Our HPWC was about $900 to install from the opposite side of the two-car garage and using solid conduit for the horizontal run and flexi-conduit up, U-shaped to get under the support beam, then down to the HPWC.

One more thing to consider: the included Gen2 mobile charging adapter might not include a NEMA 14-50 adapter*, so you're looking at $45 to get that and $45+$275 if you wanted to leave the first Gen2 mobile charging adapter in your frunk (and maybe the $35 Cable Organizer if that's your thing, as it takes the strain off the plug itself). That said, do consider the $520 "Corded Mobile Connector" as it offers 40A charging from a NEMA 14-50 while the mobile charging adapter is limited to 32A charging. (HPWC gets you to 48A charging if fed from a 60A circuit/breaker.)

* Our 2018 used MX P100D included it, but it also included two trailer hitch adapters so it's possible they merely passed along what the seller included. The Tesla website says the MCA only includes the NEMA 5-15 adapter when bought separately; I can't vouch for what the car itself includes.

Our 2018 used MX P100D included it, but it also included two trailer hitch adapters so it's possible they merely passed along what the seller included. The Tesla website says the MCA only includes the NEMA 5-15 adapter when bought separately; I can't vouch for what the car itself includes.
Tesla stopped including the 14-50 adapter with the cars a few years ago. Your 2018 was probably very near the end that still had them.

Reactions: peety3
Wow 110'. That is a long run. How is it being routed? Are they having to run it through the attic, outside, etc.?

Another question is the difference between the 2 prices seems high. Would the outlet and HPWC be in the same position?

And of course, as with most home upgrades, get multiple quotes.

FWIW, I believe we paid $800 or so to the electrician to install our HPWC. That including adding the breaker to the panel in the garage, running about 20' of wire into the ceiling and down a support post, mounting HPWC to support post, and wiring up HPWC. All done with permit. The cost does not include retaping and mudding the ceiling and support post since we were remodeling at the time and had the wallboard crew on-site already.
Thanks for the feedback. The wire run is going to be a bit of a challenge as the breaker box is in the basement on one end of the house and it has to be run from there into a garage onto a "center" wall between a 2 car and the 1 car doors. I did receive another quote for the same thing and it was around $1,400 which is more in the range of my expectations. The charger or outlet would be in the same place so wiring requirement would be the same, except for the size of the wire. I also felt the difference between the two was enormous and way out of line. When I asked the contractor why such a huge difference they mentioned that they go back to Tesla with full documentation for warranty and installation verification. Sounds sort of like a "hole" that they use to add a bunch of costs that aren't clearly spelled out.

I would expect that any contractor that is on the Tesla electrician list would be certified and there wouldn't be any issues with service or warranty issues. Am I being overly naive?