Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 outlet Height, 18" or 48"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the exact same one too! Home depot - I spread the arms of mine apart because my DS told me that some of the cables may fail over time if bent for long times at too acute an angle.

I just ordered this electric cord hanging bracket from pit pal. Dimensions: 6.5"H x 5"W x 5"D. $21.99 but more sturdy and stylish than the Home Depot hose hanger.

image.jpg

How high off the floor to install NEMA 14-50 outlet?

The electrician is coming Monday and I was wondering if folks just do the recommended 18 inches as suggested in the owner's manual?

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

I think the Tesla recommendation is at least 18" above the floor, so higher is ok. I don't want to bend over each time I plug in, so I mounted my outlet at about my elbow height. It has worked quite well.

You will find that typically, RV receptacles are mounted higher off the floor, typically at 48".

From the following thread:
NEMA 14-50 outlet Height, 18?

FlasherZ said:
There is no restriction on receptacle placement (except certain cases, like kitchen appliance outlets must be within 20" of a counter top). They simply have to be "accessible".

The ADA (4.2.5/4.2.6) requires that convenience outlets be at max height of 48-54" above floor in commercial settings.

Based on my experience with the UMC I'd recommend higher (48"), if you use 18", the UMC and its cord will be touching the floor, where it might be subject to dirt, oil, etc.

220 install.jpg

Installed our 50amp circuit in Dec. 2011 to beat the expiration of the original charging infrastructure tax credit. Tesla had not yet published recommended height info. As you can see it is too low and the electronic pod lays on the driveway. Even though this is a car port install, there have been no problems so far. It never gets direct weather and is always against the wall so it is never kicked or stepped on. I hope I get by with it.

Check your local code. For example: We had a city requirement to be be 48" above grade. If your electrician is good he will know already.

Exactly. I originally told my electrician it had to be at least 18 in. above the ground based on Tesla's instructions, but he said code is that in a garage it has to be higher due to the possibility of fumes, etc. He pointed out that my existing outlets were all much higher, and we decided to put the NEMA 14-50 at switch level (I haven't measured how high that actually is). It looks good there.

I put mine 6' off the ground on the center pole in our garage, then velcroed the UMC to the same pole holding it slightly up, taking the weight off the plug. A single utility hook holds the cord when not in use. This allows me to take it with me if I want to easily and no bending over etc.

Nice install but you will definitely need a second one for trips. I installed mine at about 5'. Was a good height to allow for box and to keep cord hanger at a nice height. Ran wires being drywall to avoid the nasty looking conduit.
IMG_0031.jpg