Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 outlet installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In preparation for my Model Y that's expected to arrive in March, I installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage for the Mobile Connector this afternoon. Total cost was less than $100 for the breaker, box, mud ring, outlet, 3/4" flex conduit, fittings, bushings, SS cover, and 8 AWG THWN-2 wire. I now only have 2 out 40 slots left In my panel. :)

IMG_5093.JPG

Reactions: AS9.9.
I thought about ground fault protection while I was buttoning everything up and planned to crack open the latest edition of NFPA 70 when I got to work Monday morning. Easy fix, though - just ordered a QO260GFICP. Thanks!

Last edited:
In preparation for my Model Y that's expected to arrive in March, I installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage for the Mobile Connector this afternoon. Total cost was less than $100 for the breaker, box, mud ring, outlet, 3/4" flex conduit, fittings, bushings, SS cover, and 8 AWG THWN-2 wire. I now only have 2 out 40 slots left In my panel. :)

View attachment 900737
ummm..... 8 AWG ???

EV's are continuos use, they are not an appliance that cycles.
Go up one bracket. check the regs.
#8 THHN is rated for up to 55A, is acceptable for a 50A circuit. 40A is the maximum allowed amperage draw for EV charging using a 240V/50A circuit (using the 80% rule). The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector with 14-50 plug adapter maximum amperage is 32A further reducing the maximum amperage by 20% below the 40A maximum for the circuit.

Reactions: cpaull
Why not hard wire a wall connector in there? Some #6 THHN 90C is all you need. Install a 60 amp breaker and enjoy charging at the maximum 48 amps. 😎

If you stay with the 14-50 get an industrial grade outlet. I have seen a lot of those outlets and the plugs melt over the years.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zroger73
It's true that a Mobile Connector will be close to the price of a Wall Connector when you factor in the cost of a GFCI breaker and industrial outlet.

However, I'd still want a Mobile Connector to keep in the vehicle.

$500 for a Wall Connector, wire, and a regular breaker + $230 for a Mobile Connector to keep in the vehicle = $730.

A Mobile Connector, GFCI breaker, and industrial outlet = $430.

The Wall Connector looks cool, but there's no other advantage for me (I don't need it to track my charging and I have no need for controlled access). I drive 30 miles per day, so even a Mobile Connector plugged into a 120-volt outlet would meet my charging needs.

If I do decide to install a Wall Connector, it'll be because I had money burning a hole in my pocket. ;)

Reactions: Whoze and BitJam
However, I'd still want a Mobile Connector to keep in the vehicle.
I have both a Wall Connector and Mobile Connector, exactly because I want to keep the Mobile Connector in the vehicle whenever I take the vehicle somewhere. You never know when you might want to have it. Last time this happened: showed up with around 6% SoC and couldn't get a EVSE at the airport parking garage, but there were outlets available.
The Wall Connector looks cool, but there's no other advantage for me (I don't need it to track my charging and I have no need for controlled access). I drive 30 miles per day, so even a Mobile Connector plugged into a 120-volt outlet would meet my charging needs.
At a huge cost (10-20%) in charging overhead.

$288-576 over 8 years of ownership, assuming electric rates don't rise (which they probably will).
With a few rare exceptions and before the automotive market changed dramatically a couple of years ago, I historically have averaged trading vehicles about once per year, so I'd be very surprised if I kept the Model Y that long. I may have bought my last gasoline-powered vehicle, though. I'll be parting with a Honda Ridgeline - a vehicle I've been fond enough of over the years to have owned six of them - for the Model Y, so we'll see if/how this works out.

Reactions: heymull
His install looks good. Max he will be drawing out of there should be 40 amps (50 amps x .8). I always like to oversize though to be safe. When I installed my TWC I used #6 90C THHN in FMC. It is on a 60 amp circuit with 48 amp max but my ampacity is 75 amps. That is 125% of the maximum for the circuit...not my continuous draw of 48 amps.

Know that I always recommend a TWC hard wired. It provides the fastest charging and is safer because the 14-50 is an additional point of failure. It is also less complex because the GFCI breakers can trip randomly causing interrupted charging and frustration. Just keep an eye on that 14-50 especially if you unplug the TMC from it frequently. The 14-50 was never designed for the continuous load over many hours of EV charging. Any weak point will show up and it may be a year or two down the road. It sounds like you know the risks though.

Attachments

• 091BDAB0-F129-4E12-8CDE-B9582726AC26.jpeg
    091BDAB0-F129-4E12-8CDE-B9582726AC26.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H